Page 93 of 212 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Can anyone saying that Ireland should be in the team please tell me exactly where in the team you'd play him and who else you would pick as a consequence?

I'm not saying he should be in or out, just asking the appropriate question. It'd a bogus statement just to say "he should be playing". Only a twit couldn't see that it's not that simple.

I've said a few times above how I would fit him in, but it'd be interesting to see what others think.

Having him the squad is a no-brainer though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Can anyone saying that Ireland should be in the team please tell me exactly where in the team you'd play him and who else you would pick as a consequence?..
    Pointless question. He is not available so why speculate?
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Pointless & belligerent response.

Many here talk about him being a potentially great addition to the team and I personally think it's a necessary question to ask those people - to keep the whole "will he, won't he, should he, shouldn't he" debate in its proper context.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Disgrace that he hasn't won young player. Young has been good this season(very good at beginning, seriously tailed off since), but nobody can really argue he has been better than Ireland. However im sure the fact that Ireland has basically retired himself from international football for no reason whatsoever cost him votes and hence the award. Being voted for by other players means it sometimes reflects more than just who's played well over a given season and i have no doubt this cost Ireland
    Last edited by carloz; 27/04/2009 at 7:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    Disgrace that...basically retired himself from international football for no reason whatsoever
    Sums up this thread really
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Does anyone else realise Manblue is undoubtedly Stephen Ireland? Nearly everyone of his 51 posts mention the man and most praise the hairless sulk in a positive tone and defend his indefensible position regarding the national team.

He also posts inside information on the player from time to time.

Maybe he lost the young player of the year because all the Irish players got together and decided to vote for the overrated, headless chicken, Ashley Young realising he was Ireland's nearest competitor even though Ireland is a far better player.

Haha hands up,, you caught me there and taking time to read all my posts,, Good work detective.....

Sorry you are wrong though

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    Disgrace that he hasn't won young player.
    Didn't Rooney beat John O'Shea to the same award a few years back, despite Rooney having done little other than announce his arrival against Arsenal? O'Shea played most of the season, Rooney played only a few games.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    English players will always get more votes as its a glorified popularity contest,
    Evans and gabby Agbon also finished ahead of him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Oh my god, OMFG, im watching the awards there stephen ireland didnt even finish in the top 3 for young player, im insulted. What has football become at all. Johnny Evans and agbonlahor ahead of him. Christ thats fairly bad tbf.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavistaman View Post
    Oh my god, OMFG, im watching the awards there stephen ireland didnt even finish in the top 3 for young player, im insulted. What has football become at all. Johnny Evans and agbonlahor ahead of him. Christ thats fairly bad tbf.
    It looks like Stephen is not that popular with his fellow professionals as I would say that he has had the best season of the five nominees.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavistaman View Post
    Hey it's hardly surprising.....three current internationals finished ahead of a mid-table club player...Wish all three were Irish!
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    It looks like Stephen is not that popular with his fellow professionals as I would say that he has had the best season of the five nominees.

Prob true but the majority of the time the players dont even fill these forms out and the club rep is left to do it for all the players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Prob true but the majority of the time the players dont even fill these forms out and the club rep is left to do it for all the players
    Not that popular with club reps either
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    How do you know this? Are you Stephen Ireland or one of his teammates or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    4/5 says its his granny. The first one he killed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Can anyone saying that Ireland should be in the team please tell me exactly where in the team you'd play him and who else you would pick as a consequence?

I'm not saying he should be in or out, just asking the appropriate question. It'd a bogus statement just to say "he should be playing". Only a twit couldn't see that it's not that simple.

I've said a few times above how I would fit him in, but it'd be interesting to see what others think.

Start him on the bench. Bring him on for one of the wingers, or even Robbie Keane's role if needed (I think this is where we'd see his best form).

If we were chasing a game I would consider dropping one of our central midfielders (Whelan/Andrews/Gibson) and let him drive from midfield.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I'd definitely have him as a starter but in what position would depend on the opposition. For example, if he came back now for the remaining games I'd start him on the right against Bulgaria with the freedom thats given to McGeady. I think it'll be of the utmost importance to hold possession in Sofia and McGeady wouldn't be anywhere near as good at that as Ireland.

I'd play him in the same position against Cyprus for the above reasons but I'd put him in centre midfield for the home games against Italy and Montenegro. His workrate has improved immensely since he last played for Ireland and I think he'd excel in the middle in the home games cause the opposition won't be intent on attacking and Ireland could make the telling contribution to break them down.

If Stephen Reid is fit for the last three games, I'd play Reid and Andrews in the middle against Cyprus with Ireland on the right, and I'd play Reid and Ireland in the middle for the two home games. I think they would be an excellent combination.
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 28/04/2009 at 9:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    from http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....real_superhero
    Club skipper and erstwhile Republic of Ireland team-mate Dunne admits that he has stopped asking the 22-year-old when he might re-sign on for duty in the green of his country but is nonetheless glowing about Ireland's season of brilliance that is likely to eclipse all-comers in City fans' own player poll to be taken in the coming weeks.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    Not that popular with club reps either
    I suppose, how popular can a Granny Killer be !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Was asked about his future with Ireland today and said "to be honest it doesn't look as if i'll ever go back". Seemed to indicate he just doesn't like international football.