Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    That's Stephen Ireland's thinking as well. But Trapattoni has demonstrated extreme loyalty and to a certain extent stubbornness in his team selections.
    No exceptions in this case I am afraid - he is just too bloody good.
    I think Trapp as complete as his record and pedigree is, if you saw Darren Gibson and Glen Whelan on the teamsheet and Stephen Ireland on the bench, I would be making arrangements for Mr Trapp to be sent to Dundrum Mental Hospital

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    I think he'd be given McGeady's place. Same position nominally but different role. I really doubt Trap (or many others) would give Ireland a regular central midfield spot given how delicate we have been in that department.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    looks like the Star have jumped the gun

Press Release

Football Association of Ireland

January 7th, 2009

Statement on behalf of the Republic of Ireland management team

In response to requests from a number of journalists, Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni said, “We haven’t heard from Stephen Ireland but if he does want to declare himself available for his country all he has to do is let us know himself through channels he is aware of.”

ENDS
    The Star printing a story without proper research first, surely not?
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    This kind of rubbish from the star will only worsen the situation and cause more unrest towards stephen eventhough hes has done nothing this time( although him doing nothing maybe a problem in itself) if he wants to come back he will make a public statement like all other players not do it through his dad or some rag paper who have no other big story to write about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think he'd be given McGeady's place. Same position nominally but different role. I really doubt Trap (or many others) would give Ireland a regular central midfield spot given how delicate we have been in that department.
    Stephen Ireland would be useless in central midfield in Trapattoni's system. He's far more creative than Steven Reid, Whelan, Andrews or Gibson, and a far bigger goal threat. But he's nowhere near as aggressive as any one of them, and would likely be targeted as a weak spot. The biggest improvement that has been made to the side is in central midfield, where we're no longer being overrun (compare the last two Cyprus games) and having Ireland in midfield wouldn't continue this.
    I agree that it would be McGeady's position that would be under threat but instead of getting to the by-line and crossing in, I'd see Ireland cutting across in front of the penalty area to link with the strikers, or have a shot himself.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Stephen Ireland would be useless in central midfield in Trapattoni's system. He's far more creative than Steven Reid, Whelan, Andrews or Gibson, and a far bigger goal threat. But he's nowhere near as aggressive as any one of them, and would likely be targeted as a weak spot. The biggest improvement that has been made to the side is in central midfield, where we're no longer being overrun (compare the last two Cyprus games) and having Ireland in midfield wouldn't continue this.
    I agree that it would be McGeady's position that would be under threat but instead of getting to the by-line and crossing in, I'd see Ireland cutting across in front of the penalty area to link with the strikers, or have a shot himself.
    That is very debateable. The Poland game, featuring our first choice central midfielders (lets have a bit of perspective about poor Stephen Reid, he is totally unreliable, as much as I love the guy), we had nothing in midfield all game. While we werent completely over run against Cyprus, we werent exactly on top of things in the middle of the park either and it was Richie Dunne who was doing more stopping in the middle then Whelan and Gibson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post

Press Release

Football Association of Ireland

January 7th, 2009

Statement on behalf of the Republic of Ireland management team

In response to requests from a number of journalists, Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni said, “We haven’t heard from Stephen Ireland but if he does want to declare himself available for his country all he has to do is let us know himself through channels he is aware of.”

ENDS
    Oh how I wish it would.....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Are you for real, how many times have you watched Ireland this season, hes tackling and determination is a key feature in his play, hes constantly breaking down opponent attaks and knicking possesion and he can go all day, i think your judging him on past performances (last season)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gspain

Press Release
    What d'you expect from them? How many "Stephen Ireland is returning" stories have they had since he walked out on the country?? Joke, expensive rag.

He'll never comeback, and I don't want him back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Are you for real, how many times have you watched Ireland this season, hes tackling and determination is a key feature in his play, hes constantly breaking down opponent attaks and knicking possesion and he can go all day, i think your judging him on past performances (last season)
    I didn't say he doesn't tackle, track back, etc, I said that Reid, Andrews, Whelan and Gibson are better at that than Ireland is. I've only seen a few Man City games this season, but it's clear that Kompany is the defensive midfielder in the 3, 4 or 5 man midfield that Hughes has put out. Hamann has played there on ocassion, and Fernandes even less than him, but Kompany is the enforcer. When he has taken the ball from the opposition it's more to do with anticipation of passes from defence (he has a fanastic football brain) or hassling defenders than tracking a midfielder breaking into the City half.
    Ireland either plays on the right of a midfield 3, wide right coming into the middle as part of a 4 or 5 man midfield, or on the right of a front 3.
    As an aside, City are really missing Johnson this season. Without an established partner for Kompany in the centre of the park, he's doing the job of two players by himself.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Tevez tackles and runs his heart out but I wouldn't trust him in central midfield. Ireland isn't a central midfielder yet. If City were flying high in the league I might change my mind but the team is totally unbalanced.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the star

the star are at it again 2day...
    this time its stevens 'dead' granny!
    this is just gettin more ridiculous as time goes on...
    it says hes returning for the game next month front page so u buy the paper..
    and on the back page theyv a quote from trap sayin; wev heard nothin from ireland..
    we dont just need s.ireland back.. we also need a left back (is there any??) and 2 midfielders (prefably carsely and s.reid fit)
    also be interesting to c who starts right bk... mcshane or finnan?
    i think theres a few others out there like foley and kelly who deserve a chance..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorgan87 View Post
    and on the back page theyv a quote from trap sayin; wev heard nothin from ireland..
    we dont just need s.ireland back.. we also need a left back (is there any??) and 2 midfielders (prefably carsely and s.reid fit)
    i think theres a few others out there like foley and kelly who deserve a chance..

LEGEND!!
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorgan87 View Post
    Whats the betting if SI does make himself available in the next few weeks that the Star will claim that they had "exclusively" revealed the news weeks earlier.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post

What d'you expect from them? How many "Stephen Ireland is returning" stories have they had since he walked out on the country?? Joke, expensive rag.

He'll never comeback, and I don't want him back.
    Exactly. Agree 100%. He does not want to come back,never has and never will.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Just my 2p's worth:

I thought I'd detected a general thawing in his stance recently. Articles like those planted by his father in the Examiner are hardly reckless journalism. He seems to be generally a lot more content and mellow in his own head too so who knows?

I've changed my view: I'd take him back pretty much unreservedly now. He's a young kid detached from the real world, and probably not too smart. However, I've been really impressed with him on the pitch this year. His technique, footballin intelligence, vision, timing, stamina, workrate etc. have been genuinely top notch.

His deployment in the Ireland team would have to be clever - certainly far smarter than "he's a midfielder, play him in midfield" that many would adopt. His strengths and weaknesses have to be considered in the context of the strengths and weaknesses of the whole team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    kinda tired about the whole steven ireland debate now, he made a stupid mistake, he dug him self into a bit of a hole, and now all this stuff, will he wont he, i will i wont, if we are to beleive the front pages of some of our trusted papers, he will be back in 2009, well if this really is the case, prove it and make him self available for the the georgia game next month, draw a line under the issue, and move on, if he is not going to make him self available, just forget it, we plan the rest of the world cup campaign with out him, and move on

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    All Stephen Ireland has to do is make that phone call.
    Richard Dunne offered him a loan of his phone to make that call the last time SI said he wanted to play for his country.

FAI
    “We haven’t heard from Stephen Ireland but if he does want to declare himself available for his country all he has to do is let us know himself through channels he is aware of.”

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Thanks Don.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I've changed my view: I'd take him back pretty much unreservedly now. He's a young kid detached from the real world, and probably not too smart. However, I've been really impressed with him on the pitch this year. His technique, footballin intelligence, vision, timing, stamina, workrate etc. have been genuinely top notch.

His deployment in the Ireland team would have to be clever - certainly far smarter than "he's a midfielder, play him in midfield" that many would adopt. His strengths and weaknesses have to be considered in the context of the strengths and weaknesses of the whole team.
    He's an average player in a poor Man City side, he's an overhyped genius for Ireland. He scored a good goal against Hull lately that everyone saw, so fans get all misty-eyed about wanting him back.

The way he behaved in order to desert the country at a critical time in the qualification process was unforgivable. The only bit he's sorry about, is that he got found out about it, three times.

At the moment, we've got one of the best managers in the business, getting us results, and are doing fine in the WC group. We're playing Bulgaria and Italy soon. Leave him to mid-table battles against Fulham and Bolton.