Thread: Stephen Ireland

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Air Supply, the mushiest band ever.
    I had no desire to waste a good tune on that muppet!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    If true, has anyone else thought that Robbie's presence at Villa may have played a part in Ireland's possible decision? It would be interesting to know how this has come about. I still think of Tet's classical comment of a few years ago which still is true today - 'Ireland needs Ireland more than Ireland needs Ireland.'

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    similar to what was posted above, his missus claims he wants to return for Ireland, but it has to come from both sides: http://www.birminghampost.net/midlan...97319-30281438
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Trap would never risk taking a chance with the squad chemistry unless they all told him it was fine. Or at least the likes of O'Shea, Duff, Keane, Dunne, etc..
    Plus with our luck as soon as they landed on Polska his Gran really would die.
    And who would be out if he was in?
    Jim from Limerick needs to get his depth charts going again.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I had to smile when Jessica claimed that he is older and wiser now.
    Typical of the woman to allude to that they are the mature and wise ones in the relationship, waiting patiently for their dullard male partner to wise up and change.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    His "unfinished dream"? He "was at his happiest with Ireland"? She's quite the revisionist...

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    References to his selection being just a telephone call away are also a bit rich. On every occasion Ireland has been contacted by someone in the FAI, he has declared non-interest. It's been made clear to him that the ball is in his court. If he wants to play for the FAI, he picks up the phone and dials the FAI. It is then up to Trapattoni to decide whether he is worthy of a place.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    I'd take him back when his hair (his own mind) is long enough to to make into Dreadlocks !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    His "unfinished dream"? He "was at his happiest with Ireland"? She's quite the revisionist...
    Contradicts what hes said previously,

Bit of a coincidence shes promoting a musical and saying all this now.

Wouldnt pay much attention to it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    20570-xlarge.jpg

Obvious who's the brains in their relationship......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Park_Lane View Post
    20570-xlarge.jpg

Obvious who's the brains in their relationship......
    The dog?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Bit of a coincidence shes promoting a musical and saying all this now.
    I, Stevo?
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    The dog?
    She might be a bit thick, but I dunno if she deserves abuse like that. I reckon it's the canine.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I had no desire to waste a good tune on that muppet!
    Why exactly is he a muppet?

I must say this thread and the blatant generalisations that are thrown around about a man no one here has ever met resembles the comments section on any Daily Mail article online. This is a football forum, yet we've had it all here, from homophobic slurs about the car he drives to him being a terrible role model for kids regarding a photo of him engaging in a perfectly legal exploit, smoking shisha to him suffering a mental illness to even an accusation that his girlfriend faked a miscarriage and people questioning his motives for being dishonest about his grandmother's death. How exactly is this of any interest to any football fan. What exactly gives anyone right to question the morality of another man's life or pry into his reasons for saying his grandmother died. Two Irish legends, Richard Dunne and Paul McGrath have had issues with alcohol, but no one would dare pass judgment on their moral standing (and quite rightly so), yet Stephen Ireland is lambasted on here for any perceived indiscretion.

What annoys me is the real reason for these ad hominem attacks on his character boils down to the fact that he stated before he didn't want to play for his country. Shock horror, a man that has no obligation to represent the FAI decides not to. How dare he?

We've even had the laughable suggestion that he would only be welcomed back on the proviso that he offers an apology to the fans? An apology? For what? The fact that he decided he would prefer spend time with his family rather than play for Ireland, of which he has no contractual obligation to do? Get down off your moral high horse if you think he owes anyone an apology.

If he decides he would like to play for Ireland again (and I have heard nothing of yet, that has convinced me that is the case, other than a few rags reporting hearsay) then that is an issue for two people, Stephen Ireland and Giovanni Trapattoni/ his successor.

Like I said before if Ireland is available and Trap selects him, that's good enough for me. If he doesn't select him, that's good enough for me also.

Last time I made a post on here about Stephen Ireland I was accused of being Stephen Ireland in disguise. I assure you I am not Stephen Ireland but just someone who has remained objective and not bought into tabloid sensationalism about a man I have never met.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    We've all done and said stupid things when we were young and were convinced we were 100% right about it at the time. Not saying I would welcome him back with open arms but if he has grown up a lot and realized now that he has made a massive mistake by refusing to play international football then there should be a way back for him. I think the Euros would be too soon but if he came into the squad for a couple of friendlies beforehand and he fitted in with the other players ok then there could be an outside chance.

We have 3 of our all time legends now playing along side him now at Villa, 3 men who would walk over hot coals to play for Ireland. If they have been in his ear about coming back and he has started to take their advice on board, well then that would be good enough for me.

I dont expect many to agree with me, and I totally understand why
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    To all those who say he's a muppet. You're right.

To all those who say he doesn't deserve to be called up (for past sins). You're right too.

And to all of you who say if he made himself available and Trap picked him, then it would be great for the squad. You're also right.

Using logical deduction. Newcastle are quite a good team as their Premier League position demonstrates. But the way Keane and Ireland tore them apart at times
    last Sunday was something which excited a lot of Irish fans. It's a partnership Trap can choose to ignore for the Euros, but it's also our most creative duo available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post

I must say this thread and the blatant generalisations that are thrown around about a man no one here has ever met resembles the comments section on any Daily Mail article online. This is a football forum, yet we've had it all here, from homophobic slurs about the car he drives to him being a terrible role model for kids regarding a photo of him engaging in a perfectly legal exploit, smoking shisha to him suffering a mental illness to even an accusation that his girlfriend faked a miscarriage and people questioning his motives for being dishonest about his grandmother's death. How exactly is this of any interest to any football fan. What exactly gives anyone right to question the morality of another man's life or pry into his reasons for saying his grandmother died. Two Irish legends, Richard Dunne and Paul McGrath have had issues with alcohol, but no one would dare pass judgment on their moral standing (and quite rightly so), yet Stephen Ireland is lambasted on here for any perceived indiscretion.

What annoys me is the real reason for these ad hominem attacks on his character boils down to the fact that he stated before he didn't want to play for his country. Shock horror, a man that has no obligation to represent the FAI decides not to. How dare he?

We've even had the laughable suggestion that he would only be welcomed back on the proviso that he offers an apology to the fans? An apology? For what? The fact that he decided he would prefer spend time with his family rather than play for Ireland, of which he has no contractual obligation to do? Get down off your moral high horse if you think he owes anyone an apology.

If he decides he would like to play for Ireland again (and I have heard nothing of yet, that has convinced me that is the case, other than a few rags reporting hearsay) then that is an issue for two people, Stephen Ireland and Giovanni Trapattoni/ his successor.

Like I said before if Ireland is available and Trap selects him, that's good enough for me. If he doesn't select him, that's good enough for me also.

Last time I made a post on here about Stephen Ireland I was accused of being Stephen Ireland in disguise. I assure you I am not Stephen Ireland but just someone who has remained objective and not bought into tabloid sensationalism about a man I have never met.
    I think he's a gobsh1te

26. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts

You've certainly brought a lot of, let's say, unintended depth to what was rather a throw-away remark, itself a response to, well, a throw-away remark. Alcoholism, mental illness, apologies, morality, media ethics...

Succintly, I've highlighted what could reasonably, taking muppet in all its vernacular glory, be interpreted as muppety behaviour.

But you're right: I should take it all back. He wants to return to the Ireland team, with no strings attached. Clearly, only a proper muppet has strings attached.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    We have 3 of our all time legends now playing along side him now at Villa, 3 men who would walk over hot coals to play for Ireland. If they have been in his ear about coming back and he has started to take their advice on board, well then that would be good enough for me.
    I think that is the big part to whether he ever plays again or not. Along from Duff those 3 are the most senior players in the squad. If they didn't want Ireland in the squad there is no way he would get picked. But if they start pushing Trap to sort it out then there is a chance it could happen.

His link up with Robbie is excellent, they read each other very well. It was the same when they played together for Ireladn.

His personality can be a sticking point because he does come across as a complete tool but if he has Keane, Given and DDuunne backing him then that hopefully wouldn't be a problem.

I think I'm in the don't care camp on this one though. If he is brought back in then great. When in form he is a class act. If he doesn't get called back up then so be it. Either way I will assume it is the right call. However, I don't see it happening for the Euro's unless there is an injury or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

I think you've missed the point slightly, FT.

A large portion of the animosity directed towards SI (well from my point of view, and a view which I believe is justified) is a result of his ongoing efforts to disrupt the team during important international windows; to keep coming out with little nuggets of wisdom as to why he is so much better off not playing for Ireland (which, again, conveniently make their way into the newspapers around the time of important games) and of course, his foolhardy attempts to 'put himself in the window' for Euro 2012, through his GF, especially when he played no part in the qualification campaign.

SI is a pure egotist, most likely a sociopath (seriously) and an all round strange lad. Moderately critical opinions (like those held by most of the Foot.ie posters) about him are well justified.

He's done himself no favours at all and it would be disgraceful if he were to be on the plane to Poland in June.

Rest assured, it won't happen anyway...
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 08/02/2012 at 1:20 AM.

30. Thanks From: