Thread: Stephen Ireland

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    What's that?
    The selection criteria when they appointed Trappatoni?
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Could be, but Balotelli another Italian meets all the criteria!
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them

Paranoid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    From NY Times blog:

The Red Bulls, however, remain a bit thin in the midfield. Though Rafael Marquez will play a defensive and distribution role in front of the back line, Soler and Hans Backe continue to talk about a possible acquisition (perhaps the club’s third designated player) during the summer transfer period. The veteran German midfielder Michael Ballack, 35, currently at Bayer Leverkusen, is known to be interested in moving to an M.L.S. club. And although he could be headed to Montreal, according to published reports, a person with impeccable contacts in the soccer world said that Ballack wants to come to New York — and would only come to M.L.S. if he could play for the Red Bulls.

The person said, however, that the Red Bulls are not interested in Ballack and instead have set their sights on the acquisition of the controversial Irish attacking midfielder Stephen Ireland, 25, who currently plays for Aston Villa in England.
    http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...d-more/?src=tp
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    MLS clubs can't pay the transfer fees the likes of Stephen Ireland would command.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    MLS clubs can't pay the transfer fees the likes of Stephen Ireland would command.
    Don't know about that, the team is called the Red Bulls and, if I recall from the Gold Cup, play in Red Bull Stadium. Thus, I assume they are owned by Red Bull, who I'm sure could pay any transfer fee they wanted. The real question would be if they would meet his surely high wage demands.

Whether or not he'd be up to it, I actually wouldn't doubt it. He's never seemed the kind of guy who strives to be the best he can be and to achieve his potential, rather seeming to be content to coast by on his natural talent (which I begrudgingly must admit he has) and collect his paycheck. This, plus the fact that he doesn't have the "burden" of trying to compete for a spot on the Irish team, means the drop of quality (how much of which I am not here to debate) would be of little consequence. If he's up for the move I'd say it could well happen. Needless to say, anyone as pompous/self-important, obnoxious, and arrogant would fit in immediately in New York.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 01/02/2012 at 4:56 AM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well Red Bulls just sold a player to Bolton for 2 million pounds but I still doubt they could afford the money necessary to bring in Ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Don't know about that, the team is called the Red Bulls and, if I recall from the Gold Cup, play in Red Bull Stadium. Thus, I assume they are owned by Red Bull, who I'm sure could pay any transfer fee they wanted. The real question would be if they would meet his surely high wage demands.

Whether or not he'd be up to it, I actually wouldn't doubt it. He's never seemed the kind of guy who strives to be the best he can be and to achieve his potential, rather seeming to be content to coast by on his natural talent (which I begrudgingly must admit he has) and collect his paycheck. This, plus the fact that he doesn't have the "burden" of trying to compete for a spot on the Irish team, means the drop of quality (how much of which I am not here to debate) would be of little consequence. If he's up for the move I'd say it could well happen. Needless to say, anyone as pompous/self-important, obnoxious, and arrogant would fit in immediately in New York.
    But that is the very reason why he may actually go to NY ie he doesnt seem to be the lad working really hard to make it to the very top. A few years living in NY on serious wedge, he'd (and the missus) would probably love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well Red Bulls just sold a player to Bolton for 2 million pounds but I still doubt they could afford the money necessary to bring in Ireland.
    They also just built a $200million stadium with their own money. Plus they have the highest player salaries in MLS.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yeah but as far as I can tell they've never paid a transfer fee for a player. Henry and Marquez are somewhat sustainable because they were free, they're marquee names and Henry can be loaned back to England, but Ireland would command a few million pounds at least, especially as he finally seems to be hitting form for Villa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Sounds like made up stuff to me. He'd have to be a designated player, but he's not well-known enough in the U.S. to really justify that from a marketing perspective.

There would be no issue with the Red Bulls being able to afford him if they wanted, but it just doesn't seem like a good trade off in terms of value for money.

My suspicion is that someone from the Red Bulls saw him play and recommended him without knowing his wage history (specifically at Man City), so it's possible there was an interest at some point but if it ever came to a negotiation I'd imagine it would end fairly quickly.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Really? How much did it cost Galaxy to get Beckham?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Really? How much did it cost Galaxy to get Beckham?
    Beckham signed a pre-contract with the Galaxy while he was at Madrid, so there was no transfer fee, just his salary involved.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    http://www.people.co.uk/sport/footba...2039-23737213/

Seems he won't be going to NY....LA Galaxy is after him now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagger View Post
    http://www.people.co.uk/sport/footba...2039-23737213/

Seems he won't be going to NY....LA Galaxy is after him now
    From one galaxy to another. Ideal for a space cadet.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    From the above article: Galaxy cannot pay a fee and have their fingers crossed that Ireland could join them, possibly on loan

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Sam Smyth reviewing tomorrow's papers on Tonight with Vincent Browne:

The Star has Direland's gf claiming it will only take one phone call to get him back into the team. In time for the Euros. Obviously he's standing by waiting for Trap to prostrate himself and grovel at his feet...

I'm lying alone, my bald head on the phone
    Thinking of Trap till it hurts.
    Gio, you hurt too, but what else can we do,
    Tardelli is torn apart...?

(Apologies to Air Supply)
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Air Supply, the mushiest band ever.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    In the squad for the Euros?

More chance of finding John Terry building houses in a South African township this summer I'd say.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    If Trap sees it fit to call Ireland up to the squad, then that's good enough for me. If Trap doesn't call him up again, that's good enough for me.

Trap has got us to our first Euros in 24 years, and as far as I can see, its only his opinion that matters to me in relation to Stephen Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    If Trap sees it fit to call Ireland up to the squad, then that's good enough for me. If Trap doesn't call him up again, that's good enough for me.

Trap has got us to our first Euros in 24 years, and as far as I can see, its only his opinion that matters to me in relation to Stephen Ireland.
    It's the probability of the thing I have trouble with, before even getting to the pros and cons. I have a hard time believing this guy actually wants to be involved and I'd have more doubts about whether Trap would entertain it.

We've been here before, a few times. Invariably prior to the man himself laughing off the notion. Fair enough, his girlfriend seems to think he's all set to go but let's face it, we've all said a few ott things in the heat of a hookah session that we later took a step back from.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I generally don't give too much credence to that kind of stuff in tabloids but I can't help feeling that she actually said that and believes it too..

Sporadic form and appearances in a mid table team warrants pleas to return to do us the honour of playing on one of the biggest stages for us, whilst offering a clean slate for past indiscretions, despite not helping the team qualify in the first place..... I can actually see them thinking that. Spanners!

Wonder what Manblue thinks of it?
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com