Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Terry Dixon (F non-league b.1990)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Budum tush.

Delighted to close mine there last year!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Dixon apparently put on standby for Under-21 Championship Qualifying games ???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    So much for his international aspirations.
    Delighted with this news! As I said before on this thread, it's easy to make mistakes, and to keep making them, when you're young, it can take time to cop on. Seems like he finally has done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Delighted with this news! As I said before on this thread, it's easy to make mistakes, and to keep making them, when you're young, it can take time to cop on. Seems like he finally has done.
    How many times has this been said though? "Oh, he finally seems to get it." Seems people say this every time he finds a new club and then he gets released for "personal reasons."
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    How many times has this been said though? "Oh, he finally seems to get it." Seems people say this every time he finds a new club and then he gets released for "personal reasons."
    That's true but I don't think the U-21 management would be going near him if he was still acting the goat. He has something to really aim for and very encouraging news about Ireland and he's that bit older now. If he throws it away again with messing, well, that would be a great shame. Like an ever-forgiving wife, I still have faith in him though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I think a bit of realism needs to be injected into the Terry Dixon debate. We're talking about a 21 year old footballer who was perceived as having a lot of potential as a 15 / 16 year old when training at a Premier League club. But potential means nothing unless it's realised. Since his inclusion in a full international squad, he has suffered a string of terrible knee injuries and has been released from numerous clubs for personal issues.

And that's all before he played a single game of professional football.

He managed one game in League 2 for Stevenage before he was released. He played 7 games of non-league football for Ware and then Tooting & Mithcham, and now he has played a couple of games for Halifax in the Conference. His current level is 2 divisions below Kevin Kilbane when he was at Huddersfiled, which, if you listened to some of the people posting on this site, was such a low level of football, we shouldn't even be talking about him anymore. It's similar to the Richie Partridge situation — a highly rated teenager who failed to fulfill any of the potential he seemed to have, but fans still talked about as if he needed that one more chance to show what he could do and suddenly we'd have a superstar on our hands.

I don't feel like it's ever going to happen for Dixon for whatever reason, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I felt the same about Wes Hoolahan to be honest, and he's playing in the Premier League now, so you never know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    That's true but I don't think the U-21 management would be going near him if he was still acting the goat. He has something to really aim for and very encouraging news about Ireland and he's that bit older now. If he throws it away again with messing, well, that would be a great shame. Like an ever-forgiving wife, I still have faith in him though.
    You say ever-forgiving wife, over here they call it battered wife syndrome...anyway I hope he gets his head on straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    He managed one game in League 2 for Stevenage before he was released. He played 7 games of non-league football for Ware and then Tooting & Mithcham, and now he has played a couple of games for Halifax in the Conference. His current level is 2 divisions below Kevin Kilbane when he was at Huddersfiled, which, if you listened to some of the people posting on this site, was such a low level of football, we shouldn't even be talking about him anymore. It's similar to the Richie Partridge situation — a highly rated teenager who failed to fulfill any of the potential he seemed to have, but fans still talked about as if he needed that one more chance to show what he could do and suddenly we'd have a superstar on our hands.
    Halifax are in the Conference North, one below the Conference, meaning they are three tiers below Huddersfield. I believe they are the reincarnation of the old Halifax and just got promoted to the Conference North last year. Still though, he hasn't fallen the furthest of Stan's call ups, Joe O'Cearuill is playing one level below him for Dixon's old club Tooting and Mitcham...and he actually got capped (twice!).
    Last edited by theworm2345; 27/09/2011 at 4:06 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Dixon called into the under 21 squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Was on a Bradford forum looking for info on another player and ran across some info about Dixon. He has been recalled from Halifax and apparently is pushing for a spot in the Bradford squad if you believe this guy

While we didn't talk about players too much, [manager Phil Parkinson] was very complimentary about Terry Dixon. My opinion only this, but perhaps Rodney's move on loan to Darlington would suggest that Dixon might get a chance soon? (He is currently undergoing a personal pre-season plan as he recovers from bad injuries, so probably isn't quite ready yet.)
    Also he is apparently staying with the club's chief scout Archie Christie which may help him keep his head on straight

But as an example of the cost savings being made, three of the DS (development squad) players are living at one of the chairmen’s houses (the chairman not there) which one suspects doesn't cost the club. Terry Dixon stays wherever Archie stays, which means for quite a bit of the week he is living at Archie’s house. Other DS players, we assume, still live at home. No one is staying at the Cedar Hotel full time as such, it’s just a place some of the players apparently meet for breakfast.
    http://bcafc.livewwware.co.uk/viewto...?f=7&p=1073745
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    forget about this chap! finished!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Hope springs eternal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    FWIW, Dixon was on the scoresheet last Monday for Dover against Eastbourne. In their previous game (also against Eastbourne) he came on as a second-half substitute and looked impressive, setting up Dover's equaliser. Based on the highlights I saw at http://www.youtube.com/DoverAthleticFC, on pure ability anyway, he looks a cut above this level, so who knows? He's only just about to turn 22

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    FWIW, Dixon was on the scoresheet last Monday for Dover against Eastbourne. In their previous game (also against Eastbourne) he came on as a second-half substitute and looked impressive, setting up Dover's equaliser. Based on the highlights I saw at http://www.youtube.com/DoverAthleticFC, on pure ability anyway, he looks a cut above this level, so who knows? He's only just about to turn 22
    There's one point there at about 7:20 where he goes on a fine run, incorporating a couple of Ronaldo-esque stepovers. He doesn't look all that fit though, or is that his build?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    set up one today- the Dover fans don't think he'll stay the season as he's too good for them frankly. The loan deals up at the end of Jan.
    Last edited by boovidge; 07/01/2012 at 8:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    There's one point there at about 7:20 where he goes on a fine run, incorporating a couple of Ronaldo-esque stepovers. He doesn't look all that fit though, or is that his build?
    I've never seen him in the flesh, but I think Dixon has always had a bit of a John Hartson-esque look and build about him.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    John Hartson was all about the Ronaldo-esque stepovers too.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    set up one today- the Dover fans don't think he'll stay the season as he's too good for them frankly. The loan deals up at the end of Jan.
    After bouncing around so much and with so few games under his belt, it might do him good just to stay put and get a run in a team for a few months, even at this level. If he can continue to impress and bang in a few goals, he might get a proper shot at a league team next season. Also, I thought he had been let go by Bradford permanently.

He set up one of Dover's goals today as well as a couple of other chances, but missed an open goal (albeit from a tight angle)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Looking for a move to the League now apparently. Good praise from the Dover manager:

"We've got him to the end of January – that's when he's contracted to. He wants to go and play league football and with all due respect to us, he's too good for Dover Athletic and this league. He's over his injuries now after drifting out the game and losing a bit of focus. He's channelling all his efforts into getting fit and he is simply too good for this level of football.

At times he is impossible to defend against. He's started to get into it and what he can do with the ball is mesmerising. We knew what kind of talent he was and we know at some stage we will lose him, we all know that. His quality is there for all to see. We won't stand in his way as he's helping us out and we're helping him out. He's got a bit of Wayne Rooney about him. I don't think he's fit enough just yet but we're doing what we can for him."

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Dix-way/...ail/story.html

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Looking for a move to the League now apparently. Good praise from the Dover manager:

"We've got him to the end of January – that's when he's contracted to. He wants to go and play league football and with all due respect to us, he's too good for Dover Athletic and this league. He's over his injuries now after drifting out the game and losing a bit of focus. He's channelling all his efforts into getting fit and he is simply too good for this level of football.

At times he is impossible to defend against. He's started to get into it and what he can do with the ball is mesmerising. We knew what kind of talent he was and we know at some stage we will lose him, we all know that. His quality is there for all to see. We won't stand in his way as he's helping us out and we're helping him out. He's got a bit of Wayne Rooney about him. I don't think he's fit enough just yet but we're doing what we can for him."

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Dix-way/...ail/story.html
    When will he ever be fit enough?

So, does this mean he isn't returning to Bradford at the end of January and will be seeking a contract with some other league side?

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast