Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    links please!!
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/lo...d-3285503.html

Disgraceful

Trapattoni name-checked Andy Reid at the weekend with a sly hint that maybe he is back in the reckoning, which, it has to be said, was a disgraceful thing to do if he doesn't mean it.

But Trapattoni never has a problem with ridicule if he wants to make a point, especially if he feels that the media are badgering him with questions about missing or exiled players - of which there have been far too many.

If anyone else was managing Ireland at the moment, Reid would have to come into the reckoning on form alone but Trapattoni has no intention of calling him back.

It is heartlessly cruel to use Reid's name, as he has often done with Lee Carsley, to illustrate how the media dwell on players long past their sell-by date but it does, at least, expose Trapattoni's pettiness for what it is.

Most of us assumed that Andy Reid would have a role to play in his team, never mind his squad, but he was bounced out of the group on the flimsiest of grounds and nobody would have believed that possible on that sunny day when Trapattoni was introduced to his new audience for the first time as a great football man.

We know better now. Trapattoni wears his mean streak as a badge of honour and if anyone thinks for a second that Long is too good to toss aside, just remember Andy Reid.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    My God, Hyland is some bore. It always amazes me how football journalists in this country can turn simple squad selection into some form of Shakespearean morality play. Reid's not in the squad on merit and has arguably never merited a place. And as every journalist in Ireland - including Hyland - has known for a week, Long was always going to be called up if he regained fitness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    only click the link to confirm it was Hyland, typical of his writing
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    God, that is some ream of tripe.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Worser than the worst here.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    worser nor you.

didnt need to click to know that was hyland.he doesnt even have a style its just awful.i can write as well as that!!!its vitriolic bs. no way comparable to a shakspearean play!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Did Trap mention Reid?
    If so what was the context?
    Any time I've ever heard him mention Reid, it's to say that he doesn't fit into his system
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    it's to say that he doesn't fit into his system
    The temptation to throw in yet another pun on Andy's waistline is proving too hard to resist...

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    The temptation to throw in yet another pun on Andy's waistline is proving too hard to resist...
    ha ha
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    ''I have never punished anyone' - Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni plays down conflict with Shane Long': http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...nni-trapattoni

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has played down the suggestion that he was punishing West Brom striker Shane Long for his conduct while on international duty.

The Baggies striker caused confusion within the Ireland camp after the 0-0 friendly draw against Serbia when he maintained that he was fit just moments after Trapattoni had announced that he had been carrying an injury.

However the Italian coach stressed that he had never punished any of his players, before detailing the various strengths of the former Reading striker, referencing the Baggies' 2-1 win over Wigan Athletic on Saturday November 10, which he attended.

"I have never punished anyone. I asked him (in Serbia) 'how are you?'" Trapattoni told reporters. "Maybe after the shower, he said 'I am well' and strutted like a cockerel. But he is a very genuine person."

He continued: "On Saturday (against Wigan), he recovered two or three balls back from behind the opponents, that is one of the situations (of marked improvement).

"When our team looks for him, they have to understand that he can come and look for the ball, not only wait for the long ball," said Trapattoni.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    From breakingnews.ie

Steve Clarke has praised the part played by West Brom’s medical staff in ensuring key striker Shane Long continues to play despite being constantly troubled by a hamstring injury.

Albion had managed to keep the injury in-house until Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni made it public during a press conference.

Long has not completed a full 90 minutes this season but has still played a leading role in the Baggies fine start to the campaign through careful management of the setback.

Clarke said: “There is an injury to Shane that everyone knows about now through circumstances we couldn’t control.

“Playing through an injury is just a measure of how much they want to play for the club, which is great.
    “They put their body on the line and play with little injuries – but we also have had great help from our medical staff.

“They go about their job quietly but play their full part as well in getting the players into a good place.

“The medical staff do all they can to make my job more difficult so I’ve got more options to choose from every week.”

Clarke insists he is happy with having to juggle five strikers for two places in Long, Romelu Lukaku, Peter Odemwingie, Marc-Antoine Fortune and Markus Rosenberg.

He said: “It’s part of the job and if I didn’t want to try and juggle five strikers, I wouldn’t have them. You can’t have enough good strikers.”

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Clarke said: “There is an injury to Shane that everyone knows about now through circumstances we couldn’t control."
    Trap?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Trap?
    Well, it does look that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Trap?
    Probably, but if he hadn't said the Long was initially left out because of an injury concern, everyone would have been on his back for not including him
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Well it kinda goes with what Trap has been saying all along then, that Long had been injured but maybe he just didn't want people knowing, as opposed to being annoyed at being left out, maybe a bit of both.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Trap didn't use Long in the game because he was carrying an injury.
    Would anybody have taken a blind bit of notice of what Trap said after a friendly game in Serbia, until Long uttered the denial, thereby contradicting Trap.
    I wouldn't lay this one on Trap at all.
    And if there was a properly organised conspiracy of silence regards Long's injury, I'd say Trap would have been able to play a lead role.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Geysir my view differs from your view, does that mean we are in disagreement.

I think Trap when it suits him has defended himself in the media, without care for individual players or clubs or managers. I think he saves face where he feels the need to. I think he probably knew about Longs injury and keeping it quiet at club level. But too many questions lay at his feet around Long not being picked. He covered his arsch as they say in germany.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Geysir my view differs from your view, does that mean we are in disagreement.

I think Trap when it suits him has defended himself in the media, without care for individual players or clubs or managers. I think he saves face where he feels the need to. I think he probably knew about Longs injury and keeping it quiet at club level. But too many questions lay at his feet around Long not being picked. He covered his arsch as they say in germany.
    Maybe that has some merit behind the out and out cynicism, but my main point was that it wouldn't have been an issue had Long kept his trap shut. It was only after he contradicted Trap, that it became news.

I suspect West Brom's reason for keeping his injury quiet was for insurance purposes. But that might be a tad cynical

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    yes long seems to be the problem on this occasion.

you are seeing the world for what it is. I commend you

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Goal Long...cross chipped in from the left side of the box, Shane gets away from David Luiz at the back post and beats Cech with a diving header in to the ground.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Page 43 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast