Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Daryl Murphy

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Yeah you could see it when he was with Waterford too, just nobody watched....
    He was good but not great at Waterford. Was certainly not in the team of the season but probably largely because of who he played with.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    from what ive seen of him with sunderland he hasnt got that much better, people are just taking notice now

great to see him doing well, allbiet with sunderland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    He was good but not great at Waterford. Was certainly not in the team of the season but probably largely because of who he played with.
    He never really stood out to me when he was with Waterford either, but maybe I didn't see the best of him. I was surprised when he moved to Sunderland but he seems to be doing OK there now.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Had a very good game on friday but thats the problem with murph hes far too inconsistent and looks quite lazy at times .. Really hope he comes good though cause on his day like he was on friday he is a real handfull

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    This current Irish squad with Colin Doyle coming through just keeps getting better and better.
    Andy Keeee-oh is looking the part too. This US trip ould be interesting for some of these guys.

Also, worth noting that Stephen Kelly has been playing left bcak for the last month or so (or at least that's where his name appears in the team line-ups).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Andy Keeee-oh is looking the part too. This US trip ould be interesting for some of these guys.

Also, worth noting that Stephen Kelly has been playing left bcak for the last month or so (or at least that's where his name appears in the team line-ups).
    [stan logic]
    Great, Kelly can back up Finnan at left back!
    [/stan logic]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Daryl Murphy

Was just wondering what every ones opinions of him? I dont rate him at all what does he offer the team. He's meant to hold the ball up but i have never seen him do it he has no pace and very rearly scores so why is he in the Ireland squad. I would love to know what goes through stans head when he is picking squads.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I think he's alright.. But he's had a slow start to the season. He has some nice touches and idea's but can seem a bit soft for somone his size..

He plays like someone a bit younger than he actually is, if you know what I mean.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Average
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    i think he has all the attributes to be a good striker, given his height and physical stature. Although he's no olympic sprinter, he's not a snail either, he's got decent pace.

Also, his relatively poor goalscoring record at Sunderland can be explained by the fact he played most of his football there from the left wing (which also shows he has decent pace, wouldnt have survived on the wing without it!)

Although it is clear that he hasnt hit the ground running in the premiership, I'd be reluctant to write him off just yet. I think he may come good in the end. From my experience of watching Sunderland over the past year or so, he appears a better bet than Stokes anyway.

I think Stan's decision is based on the following line of thinking, He wants a physical, "bigman" striker in the squad, and he reckons that Alan Lee will never be quite good enough for international football. I reckon he feels that Murphy is in and around the same level as Lee at this moment in time, but has greater potential to develop into a better player in the future, and thats why he includes him in the squad. (Also he was really good on the US tour)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    He looked good last year the few times I saw him. But this season he has looked off the pace and lightweight. Would have prefered to have seen Keogh brought on against the Slovaks. He puts himself about and wins an incredible amount of ball in the air.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Indeed. Keogh has enormous potential.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    Although it is clear that he hasnt hit the ground running in the premiership, I'd be reluctant to write him off just yet. I think he may come good in the end. From my experience of watching Sunderland over the past year or so, he appears a better bet than Stokes anyway.
    Stokes has looked much better this season than Murphy for Sunderland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Stokes the ref in the eircom league or Anthony Stokes. Have u been watching Anthony this season or have u been watchin tapes of him last seson up at Falkirk because Stokes is crap really really crap. He should go back up to Scotland where he can score goals, hes only scored twice for Sunderland. I don't think he'll last at Sunderland, he seems to have an ego problem.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Murphy has gone as far as he will ever go. Keogh will be in the Premiership next year, one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    Indeed. Keogh has enormous potential.
    Lads, you have to qualify these statements with the important caveat: "never before played in the premiership"!

Murphy looked a really good player in the Championship as well, and if he were still in the Championship, he would still stand out as a quality performer at that level. The fact is the Premiership is an enormous step up, no guarantees Keogh would adjust to the Premier any better or quicker than Murph has this season.

Stokes was OK when he came on against Liverpool. All his other appearances this season have been dreadful affairs. Murphy has a far better attitute.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    Lads, you have to qualify these statements with the important caveat: "never before played in the premiership"!

Murphy looked a really good player in the Championship as well, and if he were still in the Championship, he would still stand out as a quality performer at that level. The fact is the Premiership is an enormous step up, no guarantees Keogh would adjust to the Premier any better or quicker than Murph has this season.
    Good point. But I feel that Keogh would have done a better job on Saturday because of his style of play.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    Stokes the ref in the eircom league or Anthony Stokes. Have u been watching Anthony this season or have u been watchin tapes of him last seson up at Falkirk because Stokes is crap really really crap. He should go back up to Scotland where he can score goals, hes only scored twice for Sunderland. I don't think he'll last at Sunderland, he seems to have an ego problem.
    I've watched every Sunderland match except Luton this season. Stokes looks far better than Murphy. Go ask them on the SMB over at readytogo.net All but a few tards who have it in for Stokes will tell you he's looked far better than Murphy.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivlehan View Post
    All but a few tards who have it in for Stokes will tell you he's looked far better than Murphy.

An overstatement to say the least. Aside from a couple of nice things during the Liverpool match he's been a disapointment this season and in preseason.. He has been played out of position admittedly, but he has not been much better than Murphy.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Murphy has gone as far as he will ever go. Keogh will be in the Premiership next year, one way or another.
    Based on what? He has 0 league goals this season . I'm all for Keogh, but he hasn't dont it this year just the same as Murphy
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Andy Keogh King of the Assists was the title of a recent atricle on BBC's website.

Murphy has some good things going for him but I'm not convinved he'll go much further either. He needs to make a breakthrough still.

On the face of it having a lot of young Irish at one club is a good thing, but not if they're struggling and being played out of position. I personally wish Stokes had taken Celtic's offer. The 2 senior strikers, Venegoor of Hesselink and Zurawski, are sub-standard and sluggish in my opinion and Stokes would have displaced either of them. He'd have had game time against soft opposition to get his confidence up, games against physical teams that'd toughen him up, as well as games against superior opposition in Europe. Then, when he's a success he could have gone to the Premiership.

It's early days yet I suppose as the season has barely started. The early signs though are that Robbie & Doyle are a country mile ahead of the rest while Keogh has been the only of the others to do anything. Alan Lee has started the season quite well.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast