Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Sky now set to show live Premier League games on Friday nights

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Sky now set to show live Premier League games on Friday nights

Will they be allowed show them here in direct competition with the LOI.
    It could well buck the job up if they are.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    Why wouldn't they be allowed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Won't make any difference imo the premier league on TV has reached Saturation point one more game won't kill off the LOI.Those who normally attend games will keeping going.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Why wouldn't they be allowed?
    I could be wrong but I understood they could not broadcast live matches into any country at the same time as that countrys league games were being played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepersBall View Post
    I could be wrong but I understood they could not broadcast live matches into any country at the same time as that countrys league games were being played.
    Is that not just International games?
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Sure they already showed a game on Friday night this year and their Saturday evening games clashed with Bray home games this season

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepersBall View Post
    That was the case years ago alright but clubs here got a shiny new set of floodlights for their troubles at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    As some of you probably know but just in case some don't, Sky Sports have acquired the 3pm Kickoffs from Setanta for next season but we in Ireland can only see them so perhaps that means an Sky Sports Ireland channel as mentioned in the above article?

The reason I bring this up is because they have some rights to the GAA coverage so might combine them for a channel dedicated to Irish sport and perhaps could lead to League of Ireland rights in the future to enhance it further, or maybe I am just a bit too presumptuous.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    I don’t see this being a huge problem, the point on saturation level on the coverage of English football is a fair point. Its hardly a novelty anymore to see a live English game on tv, and besides just how many would be really tempted to stay in or go to the pub to watch anything over a really crucial big game? There is so much football on tv now, I hardly even watch Match of the Day if I am in, as I would have seen a lot of football well beforehand..

I remember thinking the WC would be a problem in 2014 as some huge games were played after the LOI break, I remember too a match Dundalk played v St Pats, on at the exact same time as Spain v Holland, and around 3,500 still turned up, decent away support too.

There will also be some Ireland rugby games on Friday’s from next year too I think, and there will always be counter attractions in a host of other things, people will still go to LOI matches, those who won’t will not, and I really don’t see how the odd English match on a Friday is going to be a problem, as anyone who wants to see the highlights won’t have long to wait.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    As some of you probably know but just in case some don't, Sky Sports have acquired the 3pm Kickoffs from Setanta for next season but we in Ireland can only see them so perhaps that means an Sky Sports Ireland channel as mentioned in the above article?

The reason I bring this up is because they have some rights to the GAA coverage so might combine them for a channel dedicated to Irish sport and perhaps could lead to League of Ireland rights in the future to enhance it further, or maybe I am just a bit too presumptuous.
    I'd be wary of anything Sly do so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    In any case you'd be surprised at the amount of people who no longer have Sly at all, I being one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I don’t see this being a huge problem, the point on saturation level on the coverage of English football is a fair point. Its hardly a novelty anymore to see a live English game on tv, and besides just how many would be really tempted to stay in or go to the pub to watch anything over a really crucial big game? There is so much football on tv now, I hardly even watch Match of the Day if I am in, as I would have seen a lot of football well beforehand..

I remember thinking the WC would be a problem in 2014 as some huge games were played after the LOI break, I remember too a match Dundalk played v St Pats, on at the exact same time as Spain v Holland, and around 3,500 still turned up, decent away support too.

There will also be some Ireland rugby games on Friday’s from next year too I think, and there will always be counter attractions in a host of other things, people will still go to LOI matches, those who won’t will not, and I really don’t see how the odd English match on a Friday is going to be a problem, as anyone who wants to see the highlights won’t have long to wait.
    I can remember long ago down south we used to go to a club every Monday night to watch Match of the Day & Itv's Big Match from the previous Sat & Sun.
    Now I have Match of the Day free to air & I couldn't tell you the last time I watched it.
    It's wall to wall football nowadays so its long since stopped being a novelty.

I think the LOI should stand on its own two feet.
    If you can make money off other sports then fair enough but put out the best product it can & go with that. Run its match schedule & stop trying to avoid other sports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    There's a lot of poor Premier League games being shown. Swansea v Watford last Monday - no thanks. Norwich v Liverpool this Saturday lunchtime - again no thanks. These Friday games won't have much of an impact as already mentioned by others.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    Any Liverpool game clashing the LoI would have an impact on crowds.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Actually bar the way Swansea are struggling recently, Watford play some good ball and Swansea have an attractive style so would be a vastly superior game to the drivel dished up by Liverpool v Manchester United last weekend - People are as blind to the rubbish on display last Sunday as they are to the many qualities and enjoyment in LoI. As good as Dundalk crowds have been of recent if up against Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal live games it would shave a bit off the crowd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    If they'll want to avoid clashing with Premier League games, the only option will be Saturday 19:45. I doubt it will happen. I think the league will hold it's own.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Any Liverpool game clashing the LoI would have an impact on crowds.
    From what I understand, they won't show any of the really popular clubs like Liverpool on Friday nights because it's in the middle of a weekday in America which will affect TV figures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    From what I understand, they won't show any of the really popular clubs like Liverpool on Friday nights because it's in the middle of a weekday in America which will affect TV figures.
    Wow, classy. Let me guess... you're single, but it's your choice because women cramp your style?
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm not sure you've quite understood what's going on here.

21. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry crumb View Post
    Wow, classy. Let me guess... you're single, but it's your choice because women cramp your style?
    Sorry wut? Why post this and then the same again?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry crumb View Post
    Bit random even for a Cork fan...