Page 39 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    did you open the link I attached? It was an article about the NZ born Irish rugby forwards coach quitting to take up a plum job in South Africa.
    Stu's talking about a different post and link - one from the Indo which does quote Keane as saying that.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    Anyway, I was at a FAI event for the London Irish fans in London earlier today, as Paul said above. I didn't see Paul there but there was a bloke who looked and sounded just like him but with a 6 inch long beard. If anyone saw the early episodes of Homeland, that's the look I'm talking about.

Anyway, this Ros hipster (or hobo?) asked a big long rambling question that MON politely pretended to understand and gave a relatively appropriate answer. Your truly asked about how he deals with players low on confidence such as Long, and whether he thinks Long and Robbie can be effective together.

I also appear to have left myself open to blackmail, having been photographed by abovementioned hirsute Rozzy type deep in conversation with John Delaney. Obviously I was telling JD what's what but the photographic evidence might suggest otherwise, meaning I'll never be able to look at Charlie D or bennocelt in the eye ever again.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Stu's talking about a different post and link - one from the Indo which does quote Keane as saying that.
    OK, but I wasn't joking about that article!

And in my other post I was referring to Keane's "pay cut" quip. I think it was a quip anyway.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 03/06/2014 at 10:39 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye the pictures are already on Facebook...for the sake of privacy (& taste!) will leave up to PR to decide whether they go up...
    Some wag has already said he looks like yer man, Tom Hanks in 'Castaway'...

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I don't get it? The way it's phrased on bbc doesn't suggest it was a joke at all...
    Doesn't matter how the bbc phrased it, they dug up the quote and threw it into an article, out of context. When Keane said it, it was a parting shot and delivered with a smile.

The Celtic job is worth about Eur1m p/a and most probably if it was a matter of money to secure Keane, Desmond would have bankrolled the difference, same as he bankrolled the loan spells of both Roy and Robbie.
    It's about a 90% certainty that Keane turned down the celtic job. The cynics should have picked on Keane staying, as a public relations stunt or something else

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The stutts gut test. He will never miss a "free" spread. How is the gut instinct now Stutts?

Feck i cant upload it, anyone want to upload a photo(no the JD one or stutts face - he must remain anonymous) for me?

Anyway stutts i had MON tell me my question was very good, as did the Sky sports guy at the end, and also 3 other people, watch those lies or there could be a photo going up :P You effectively asked "will you play robbie and shane, and is shane low in confidence, how will you change that", in a long winded way and at one stage i thought you were going to eat the microphone. You were so keen ye went for seconds with it that i thought you wouldnt give it back.

I was a bit disappointed with the clarity and the "how" of their responses to both our questions, but they did respond in agreement, in fairness both questions were the best of the lot, some awful dopey ones and showing a lack of knowledge of the Irish team so just asked a bland PL one.

Interesting insight from the sky sports guy afterwards, and general good insight into the keane and oneill, it was refreshing to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak and I thought keane handled the paper talk well.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 03/06/2014 at 11:14 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    At least the food was actually intended for my consumption this time!

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Anyway, I was at a FAI event for the London Irish fans in London earlier today, as Paul said above. I didn't see Paul there but there was a bloke who looked and sounded just like him but with a 6 inch long beard. If anyone saw the early episodes of Homeland, that's the look I'm talking about.

Anyway, this Ros hipster (or hobo?) asked a big long rambling question that MON politely pretended to understand and gave a relatively appropriate answer. Your truly asked about how he deals with players low on confidence such as Long, and whether he thinks Long and Robbie can be effective together.

I also appear to have left myself open to blackmail, having been photographed by abovementioned hirsute Rozzy type deep in conversation with John Delaney. Obviously I was telling JD what's what but the photographic evidence might suggest otherwise, meaning I'll never be able to look at Charlie D or bennocelt in the eye ever again.
    Evidence you say.....

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    MailOnline Sport ‏@MailSport 21s BREAKING: Roy Keane has pulled out of ITV's World Cup coverage to concentrate on his coaching career

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Strange, don't think there was much need to withdraw from that. Was looking forward to him getting stuck into England n all! Hopefully it doesn't mean the Villa thing is going to happen.

The Guardian

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    MailOnline Sport ‏@MailSport 21s BREAKING: Roy Keane has pulled out of ITV's World Cup coverage to concentrate on his coaching career
    Stutts and I could have told you that already Leave you to the meejahideen.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    ITV's loss...and whatever club he joins next...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    I was initially in favour of this 'dream team' appointment provided MON was the clear and unambiguous main-man. The face and voice of the management with Keane being a typical low-key training ground no.2. There was the concern that Keane would always be a story in himself but I hoped the OTT coverage from our national media would abate once the dust settled after the sensational box-office nature of the appointments. But Keano persists. Whether it's the fault of the man himself, the media or the footballing public he is still the story, now more than ever. It's likely a combination of all three. The fans and media are mad for news, Roy will walk at any moment if he thinks it suits him.

I must have been insane for thinking and hoping this could be a nice, quiet and effective set-up, provided the cards were played right. But the circus is still in town and no sign of it leaving. Was MON mad too to assume all this wouldn't happen? And for a man who I reckon is only about 75% into the gig we could be in for a bumpier campaign than I thought.
    The dude abides....

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Having already said that I dont think Keane can do both the Ireland and Villa jobs effectively today Im going to contradict myself completely now!

I just remember that Chris Hughton did just that when he was working with Brian Kerr and Spurs. Dont think there were too many eyebrows raised about that at the time? Because its Keane we are probably all making a mountain out of a molehill as usual.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    If Oneill is employing guppy/walford and the rest of them as scouts also then keane doesnt have to be looking at ireland players the whole time and can easily do both roles.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The question is why we would pay him 500k+ a year to do this as a second job and hire other people to do his scouting, etc.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Because he's 'worth' it?
    Or perhaps not...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Wasn't McClaren a manager at Boro (or was it Derby) when he helped out with England as a coach? No big deal if Keane does go to Villa. He'll get to know the Irish villa lads a little better & will at least be watching a few of the Irish lads playing Villa on a weekly basis.

Bottle - the FAI are probably delighted Keane is getting media interest. Football is in the papers and with a bit of hype should start getting people back into the stadium.

Better to be on the back page than on p82 with the GAA and rugby hogging all the headlines.

24. Thanks From:

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    https://vine.co/v/Mpj1DIjthAB

According to sky he was in london today ....and their sources say he was meeting villa representatives.
    Their cameras caught him leaving a london hotel

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    I can confirm he was at a London hotel. A nice one too. He was having breakfast - including black pudding - with Paul and me. And 198 others, including a SKY journalist.

Page 39 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast