Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 37 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    There is the possibility Roy could balance the two jobs. It's up to Martin and Roy. Celtic wouldn't have a problem with that and neither would the FAI.
    I think both would have a problem with that, not to mention O'Neill. His salary in both roles would be significant enough for both parties to say no way to double jobbing.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Nah, keep him on. Virtually no club deserves him...
    For you it's probably the lesser of 2 evils for Keane to be involved in the irish backroom, rather that at the helm of Celtic.

But there is clearly some amount of displeasure from O'Neill about what has transpired. If Keane by some chance did not get the Celtic job, you would presume that there's an amount of defrosting to do.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    I hope he gets the job to stop the 'will he, won't he?' conversation that will surround any job vacancies that arise. Better for us if O'Neill brings his own people on board who will work with him and not create ongoing conjecture. Also, Keane's personality and persona have a tendency to overshadow teams he coaches, personally I would rather read about the players than the management!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Departure confirmed here

It looks like he has told the squad already. I'm sick of these mercenaries treating the Irish team as some sort of sinecure until the first half-decent coaching job abroad comes along. Good riddance.

5. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'm sick of these mercenaries treating the Irish team as some sort of sinecure until the first half-decent coaching job abroad comes along.
    Is it a big problem?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    It was a joke actually. Did you open the link?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    I hope he gets the job to stop the 'will he, won't he?' conversation that will surround any job vacancies that arise. Better for us if O'Neill brings his own people on board who will work with him and not create ongoing conjecture. Also, Keane's personality and persona have a tendency to overshadow teams he coaches, personally I would rather read about the players than the management!
    Pretty much. Keane's presence will always encourage a media circus and it will never stop. As much as I would roll my eyes at Keane walking out after only a few months, better the position go to someone far more low-key now, before qualifying starts in earnest.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    I saw a comment on another forum (RTE or Irish Times, can't remember) that it could be a good role for Chris Hughton. Wes might not agree though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,373 Posts
    according to the Indo, it's not going to happen: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30322137.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    according to the Indo, it's not going to happen: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30322137.html
    From tetsujin's link:

It is understood Celtic had made Keane a formal offer but in the end, the 42-year-old decided to see out his commitment with the national team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Pretty much. Keane's presence will always encourage a media circus and it will never stop. As much as I would roll my eyes at Keane walking out after only a few months, better the position go to someone far more low-key now, before qualifying starts in earnest.
    Does Keane need to be replaced. If Walford & Guppy are coming on board permanently then why would we need another person.

Breaking news on SSN as I type. Keane wants to stay with Ireland/Celtic prefer Steve Clarke

Edit: Just seen tets Indo link.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    We're all on the one road, again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,373 Posts
    Official confirmation from the FAI's twitter feed: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status...52750807003136
    Roy Keane has confirmed that he will travel to the US after deciding not to pursue talks with @celticfc any further. #COYBIG
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    For you it's probably the lesser of 2 evils for Keane to be involved in the irish backroom, rather that at the helm of Celtic.

But there is clearly some amount of displeasure from O'Neill about what has transpired. If Keane by some chance did not get the Celtic job, you would presume that there's an amount of defrosting to do.
    So. You got the antifreeze ready...

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    920 Posts
    Im delighted hes staying, he looks like he starting to have an influence over the midfielders anyway judging by this article http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30321236.html

Hopefully it might put an end to this "he walked out on his country" rubbish anyway.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Stupid comments regarding demotion to the u21's and being taken off at half time against Spain. Really misleading. I felt a sense of deja vu reading it, like some of those comments were just recycled from a previous article.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Yep, I'm glad he's staying too, although I hope the Irish press now start focusing on the team rather than its assistant manager. DeLorean had a very good point about Keane and the media circus that goes with him.

From a pure PR perspective, Keane going to Celtic would just further have underpinned the relative demise of the national team's status versus the big British clubs. It'd almost be a double whammy. The BIG can barely compete with Keane or Celtic for attention, let alone Celtic managed by Keane.

Now come on, pull together, work hard and get us to the Euros.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah well I don't mind really. There are pros and cons, but the way it has worked out is fairly uplifting, a real sense of dedication after weighing up what is important. It actually feels more like a victory this way than if he had just ruled it out from the outset. Hype might not necessarily be a bad thing either, despite my reservations. We've been seriously lacking in that regard over the past few campaigns and even if it is directed towards Keane more than the team, at least it keeps them in the limelight indirectly. The headline on BBC reads "Keane turns down Celtic for Ireland". It's a tad inaccurate to be fair but nice to see all the same

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, everyone's happy!

For now.

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    It seems to me that Celtic put out feelers for a few managers- Roy being one. The media in Ireland and the UK ran with it due to the publicity Keano attracts and maybe we were led to believe the approach was more concrete than it was. I mean, he hasn't exactly been flush with management offers since departing Ipswich. Plus, Celtic are likely to go with a more financially prudent and astute manager. Roy has gone through a few scattergun, stock-piling phases at Ipswich and Sunderland with very, very differing results in terms of the performances of the signings and their longevity at the clubs.

Anyway, delighted he's staying put. I hope this coaching ticket stays in place until the end of the qualification for Euro 2016- at which point if Roy got a decent offer then I'd wish him all the best.

27. Thanks From:

Page 37 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast