Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Invites First Division Expressions of Interest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    There's a reason I didn't respond to him deiseach.
    At least you will be able to concentrate on you're music career if you give up on Harps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    More idiotic nonsense although I have been to friendlies between Rovers vs Rovers "select". Other then a meaningless friendly that scenario wouldn't happen. Keep to the fantasy posts on how to improve the "league" it's what you do best.
    I'm not quite sure why you've put "league" in inverted commas there. Is it because you don't think the LOI is deserving of the name? Is it because it's secretly a knockout competition?

Anyway, Nigel didn't say he wouldn't turn up if the opposition were Waterford again, and again, and again, he said he'd prefer a bit of variety in the opposition. That's a fairly normal sentiment, even if you don't share it.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Just a question for fans of the clubs who would be in a position of entering a reserve team into the first division if it came to that.

As ye would now have a club with 2 teams in the senior divisions, would ye be going to see both teams play or just the 1st team?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    If City entered a reserve team into the First Division I'd likely buy a season ticket - depending on when the fixtures were due to be played. I doubt I'd get to many if any away games. Perhaps Cobh but that would be about it bar maybe one random overnight trip in the summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Just a question for fans of the clubs who would be in a position of entering a reserve team into the first division if it came to that.

As ye would now have a club with 2 teams in the senior divisions, would ye be going to see both teams play or just the 1st team?
    Genuinely I don't think many would pay to see them play. I used to pop along to the odd A league game and even free, there were max of 150 at most of them. If "senior" season tickets allowed entry into the games, the higher profile games might do OK

It would obviously depend on scheduling etc (eg 1st team away to Derry on a Friday, 2nd team at home to Galway on the Saturday might be OK)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    If City entered a reserve team into the First Division I'd likely buy a season ticket.
    I don't think there'd be many takers for those. If it was free, aye, or maybe a joint first/reserve team season ticket could be an option.

Depending on when the fixtures are, I'd make an effort to Derry ones. I couldn't see many people being willing to pay into the games though. As it is at the minute, our reserve/U21 games are free in, and get a handful of people. I'd only get to a few a season myself, though would certainly attend more if we were playing First Division teams.

Taking a leaf out of the GAA's book, having a double header (reserve match, followed by first team match) could work. Not sure how practical it would be for Friday night games though.
    Have you ever won the treble?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Went to see Basel II the other day, lucky if there were 100 at the game. Considering the first team get about 12/14000 at an average league game it was interesting to see how low the turnout was, on the same day as the first team with free entry. just imagine what it would be like in the LOI!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Another twist in the saga? Johnny Glynn not impressed.

http://www.connachttribune.ie/sport/...ervue-from-loi

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Interesting saying that the announcement and prospective withdrawal has actually been a motivation for the players. If Mervue do reach those play-offs, it might just be one more nail in the Galway FC coffin. There must be people involved with the club who don't want to leave the LOI.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

As a supporter of a club currently in the FD, and in all likelihood one that will be there again next season, I wouldn't turn up to watch us play a reserve team, irrespective of their quality.

'Galling' wouldn't even begin to describe it.

I'm also delighted Glynn spoke out. Mervue have proved themselves the equal of any team in the FD this season, and I fancy them to make the playoffs. I hope they don't, 'cause if we make it as well, they'll win.
    Last edited by gormacha; 04/10/2013 at 11:23 AM.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Interesting saying that the announcement and prospective withdrawal has actually been a motivation for the players. If Mervue do reach those play-offs, it might just be one more nail in the Galway FC coffin. There must be people involved with the club who don't want to leave the LOI.
    There is only one member who wants them to stay in. Their stay in the LOI has financially crippled them as it has salthill where another ego maniac is the reason they are still in the league. Last weeks game against Longford Town saw a crowd of Approx 200 to see Mervue's biggest ever game and Lonford had the majority of supporters.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    I don't think there'd be many takers for those. If it was free, aye, or maybe a joint first/reserve team season ticket could be an option.

Depending on when the fixtures are, I'd make an effort to Derry ones. I couldn't see many people being willing to pay into the games though. As it is at the minute, our reserve/U21 games are free in, and get a handful of people. I'd only get to a few a season myself, though would certainly attend more if we were playing First Division teams.

Taking a leaf out of the GAA's book, having a double header (reserve match, followed by first team match) could work. Not sure how practical it would be for Friday night games though.
    our u19 games are a fiver. We'd get a couple of hundred some days. I try and get out to see them but Sunday afternoons usually don't suit me - I'm currently at work. I'd make an effort to get out and watch a City reserve team if they played on Saturdays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts

What's the usual set-up of B teams as in are players registered to play for one team or both? Is the B team treated as if it were a different club. If you play for the first team, you're unable to play for the B team unless you're registered during a transfer window etc.?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    What's the usual set-up of B teams as in are players registered to play for one team or both? Is the B team treated as if it were a different club. If you play for the first team, you're unable to play for the B team unless you're registered during a transfer window etc.?

The way it works for Harps with the Ulster Senior League, is that after you make a certain number of appearances for the first team, you're deemed a 'senior player' as opposed to a reserve, so you'd be ineligible.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    There is a recently setup Twitter feed about a possible team from Meath based in Navan entering the League of Ireland: https://twitter.com/meathsoccerteam

It is mentioned on they were contacted by the FAI yesterday, so maybe the wheels might be in motion?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    There is a recently setup Twitter feed about a possible team from Meath based in Navan entering the League of Ireland: https://twitter.com/meathsoccerteam

It is mentioned on they were contacted by the FAI yesterday, so maybe the wheels might be in motion?
    Looks like a spoof to be honest.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Looks like a spoof to be honest.
    Thought it was kids myself who are actually serious about it, so I didn't take the p iss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    There's two of those pages, both on Twitter and Facebook. Seems like kids who haven't a clue really. When I enquired as to where they were getting the money and the facilities, and all within the year timeframe they're giving themselves, they didn't have any answers only "we're just trying to get LOI football to Meath".
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    In fairness, the LOI has seen worse plans!

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I suppose every team has to start somewhere. FB page says they want to enter a team in the LSL, which is probably a more realistic ambition.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 23/04/2014 at 1:43 PM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast