Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Very happy with the draw. We avoided more difficult first/second seed pairings like Germany-Turkey, Italy-Serbia, Holland-Sweden, Spain-Czech Republic and Portugal-Denmark, while also avoiding the better lower seeds, such as Belgium and Albania. On paper at least, it's kind in comparison to the other groups.

Russia, having failed to qualify for the last two World Cups, can be flakey during qualifying campaigns. They certainly don't have the consistency of a France, Germany or Italy, who seem to cruise through qualifying without necessarily playing well. However, they have enough good players to beat anyone, particularly in Moscow, and they have a few very promising youngsters, including Dzagoev. A plus for us is that Hiddink probably won't be there come September. A minus is that the Ruskies will probably be doubly determined to reach the finals, having lost out this year. They're certainly beatable in Lansdowne Road, though.

Slovakia were very impressive in qualifying, dropping only eight points. They were quite workmanlike and ordinary when we played them in 2007, but they've added a bit of flair since then in Weiss and Hamsik. They've been playing well, but the question remains if they can maintain that form over two campaigns. Most small countries do suffer 'second campaign syndrome' (think of us after 2002) for whatever reason, and hopefully Trap will have them figured out after the World Cup. On paper, they're at about the same level as Bulgaria. 4 points is achievable.

Macedonia will be a difficult away trip, but I saw Scotland beat them last September, and they didn't look up to much. A lot like Montenegro, except for Jovetic, read Pandev. We should be disappointed if we don't take six points off them, as I expect Russia to do so.

The only problem with Armenia is the long trip. We should give beat them comfortably if we're not too jet-lagged in Yerevan. As for Andorra, well at least we have a couple of 'easy' competitive games for a change.

Overall, it's a group we can win. A lot will depend on injuries, and the possibility of Slovakia and Russia dropping points against the weaker teams. We need Trap to fill out the squad a bit, and be more adventurous in the home games. We got away with dropping six points at home in the last campaign - we will need to take maximum points at Lansdowne this time. We can't afford to drop more than 8 points overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Joe View Post
    ....and we're back!

Russia
    Slovakia
    Macedonia
    Armenia
    Andora

It could have been a hell of a lot worse. Russia or Croatia are probably the worst of the top seeds. Slovakia dont particularly scare me. We should be able to get Macedonia home and away, as with Armenia and Andora.
    Sometimes you have to wait for the chance to get an easier group to crawl up the rankings. Hopefully we can take this chance and make it easier for ourselves to qualify for future tournament.

24 points should do it!
    Aside from Slovakia and Russia away, Macedonia & Armenia away could be very tricky ties for us though. Spain only beat Armenia 2-1 in Yerevan and they beat Belgium there in their last World Cup group game so are capable of doing something on their day. Macedonia beat Scotland & Iceland at home, drew 0-0 with Norway & only lost 2-1 to Holland there in their World Cup Qualifying campaign. However, that being said, we still have a great chance of topping this group & that's what we should be aiming for.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think this is as good a group as we could have hoped for.
    Russia are a beatable first seed.
    I dont know much about Slovakia but obviously they have progressed since our last meetings, it will interesting to watch them this summer. I think we should play them early in the campaign as they may very well have a WC hangover.
    Armenia and Andorra should both be six pointers, cant accept anything less there.
    Macedonia is tricky, need to be careful what time of year we play there......see Scotland lost there last time out. But are they a more difficult prospect than say Cyprus were, no way.

Overall, with the progress we have made in the last 2 years, with promising talent coming up through the ranks and a good blend of experience not to mention a very competent manager in particular away from home, we should for the first time in a while be realistically aiming to top this group!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Have to be reasonably happy with that. We've done OK against Russia and Slovakia in recent campaigns - one point against Russia and four against Slovakia; get that again and it's a huge step to coming second. Can keep an eye on Slovakia in the World Cup too.

Armenia starting to grow on me for a trip away.
    Come on Stu, have to be looking for at least 3 points off the Russians, really looking forward to this group, we have a great chance, would love to see the Russina game played in Pertersburg but will be there regardless.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    You're misreading my post.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Russia
    Slovakia
    Republic of Ireland
    Macedonia
    Armenia
    Andorra

It's do-able, a decent enough draw without being a walkover. Russia are potentially very hard and I'd even take 3 points from the possible 6 against them at this stage, a winter match in Moscow would be a nightmare. But we have a great chance of second, and if the Russians do slip up which could well happen if Hiddink is given the boot, we could pip them for first place. In any case we should be more than capable of winning all the games bar Moscow and Skopje, and for the latter if Pandev is out we've a good chance there too.

As I say it could have been worse. For instance Finland's group (Dutch, Sweden, Finland, Hungarians, Moldovans, Dan Marino) is much harder - while the Dutch are beatable for a pot one team, the Swedes are very compact and functional (if totally devoid of flair and skill) and could stagnate both games to 0-0 - which was their game plan vs the Portuguese last time. The Hungarians are also on the up and have a number of talented players, nothing like the Puskas heyday but still a problem, especially in the Nepstadion. Moldova are a tricky team, they caused the Israelis and even the Greeks problems in the last set of matches, again a fixture out in Kishinev would be, potentially, a big banana skin. The North also have a bit of a nightmare group from a third pot perspective, with Italy, Slovenia, Serbia.

Our group and Spain's group are the only groups in which there are no repeat fixtures from WC2010 qualification. From a selfish point of view one of Iceland, Kazakhstan, Belarus or Finland (even Israel at a push) would have been nice as that would have meant visiting a new country...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Very pleased with the draw, we should be competing for first place. Russia are a good side but not great, they have been over-rated for the last few years imo. We should give them a good battle and Slovakia, decent side, but Ireland are better than them. Hopefully the team can perform in these games, cause if they do, we are able to top this group.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Have to be reasonably happy with that. We've done OK against Russia and Slovakia in recent campaigns - one point against Russia and four against Slovakia; get that again and it's a huge step to coming second. Can keep an eye on Slovakia in the World Cup too.

Armenia starting to grow on me for a trip away.
    Sort your hotel / hostel for this asap!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Why say you that?

Also, saw somewhere that the fixtures meeting is on the 28th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I'm very happy with the draw. I'd expect us to finish at least second.

Good to be back! Missed the place.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Why say you that?

Also, saw somewhere that the fixtures meeting is on the 28th.
    I was there in May / June this year and there is not a huge amount of accomadation. I ended up staying with the friend of a colleague, but there are about 3 hostels in total in Yerevan, 2 of them are about 30EUR a night. Most of the hotels there are business orientated, if you book early you might get a good deal on them, otherwise it could be expensive. One other thing to note is flights could be expensive, I'd advise flying to Trabzon then getting a bus via Batumi... of course if the Turkish Armenian border opens by 2011 you could get a cheap flight to Kars and then it would be a 2-3 hour drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    very exciting draw - should be aiming for first place for this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    The draw is an absolute gift after being in with France, Germany and Italy in the last 3. If we play as we did in St. Denis we're capable of tearing every one of these sides a new one. Trap's had time, he has some new options, a great draw........please God this time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Don't think we could have got a better draw!............."moral compensation" anyone???
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    hoping to go to the Armenia game
    Yerevan is actually a nice lttle city, was there in May, everything interesting is in the centre and you can walk pretty much everywhere in the city centre, foods good, beer cheap and the locals are friendly.
    There's a nice little park dead in the centre with all bars and restaurants.
    just avoid the cops, the strip clubs and accept that you'll be fleeced in taxis and it'll be alright.
    1000 drams (€2) will cover most taxi rides in the centre.
    1,500 drams should get you 2 beers and vodka in most bars meaning you can get smashed on €20...
    innit though??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss
    Very pleased with the draw, we should be competing for first place. Russia are a good side but not great, they have been over-rated for the last few years imo. We should give them a good battle and Slovakia, decent side, but Ireland are better than them. Hopefully the team can perform in these games, cause if they do, we are able to top this group.
    Moscow is tough for everybody, players and fans, Macedonia away will be hard, and we know what our history there is.

Could have been worse football wise, not a great group for travelling, but fortunately we avoided that trek to Indo-China, only because Armenia were sent to our group as Azerbaijan were already in Group 1. Belgium have it instead.

The fixtures meeting is down for the 20th of the month, and as sure as eggs are eggs, we'll be looking to get Moscow out of the way asap.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I echo the sentiments of the posters here, it's a good draw, albeit a ruddy expensive one travel wise.

Croatia aside, Russia were probably the weakest of the top seeds. By the time we play them, Hiddink will probably be in charge at Liverpool (please?) Man United or Juventus. Winning the group is a far from fanciful notion.

Can anyone confirm that the fuxtures will be decided on the 28th? I'd like to see a Russia Armenia away double header for this September, with a Slovakia Macedonia away double header next September. Away to Andorra in Barcelona in June would be ideal too.

BTW, notice the way the UEFA fella at the draw said that Georgia and Russia and Armenia and Azerbaijan were to be kept apart "Due to special circumstances". I suppose "Otherwise they'll kill each other" might be a bit close to the bone...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The more I think about the draw the more happy I am with it. There tricky games away but maybe bar Moscow there all chances to get 3 points too.

When you look at group Northern Ireland or Scotland got we cant complain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    11-13 points away from home in those games is very achievable and 11-15 at home really so things looking good

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Think this was about as good a draw as we could have dared hope for and while it gives us a chance of topping the group, what could prove even more important is that it also gives us a chance of qualifying automatically as the best second placed team (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_qualifying).

The fixtures meeting has provisionally been arranged for Feb 20th in Bratislava (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...263953535.html).

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast