Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Ireland a middle class hellhole

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is Ireland a middle class hellhole

anyone else notice that in the last few years this country has tried to become more middle class and push away from its working class roots.

as billy connolly would say" the volvo driving, sweater wearing bragide"

here are a few examples i've seen recently

1. the whole PC thing, its not nice to do this or that or oh my god u might offend someone.

2. private schools and the increasing numbers of people falling accross themselves to send there children to these schools so they'll get into UCD etc.

3. the dart accent , ya know rooooooooooooundabout and so on. head wreaking

4. the amount of people buying property abroad cause its the "in thing" to do.

5. designer food outlets, noodle bars, creepe bars, etc. and the whole coffee shop thinig to go with that. whatever happened to a greasy spoon cafe.

just trying to get a debate going if i'm miles off no doubt someone will tell me
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by max power
    anyone else notice that in the last few years this country has tried to become more middle class and push away from its working class roots.

as billy connolly would say" the volvo driving, sweater wearing bragide"

here are a few examples i've seen recently

1. the whole PC thing, its not nice to do this or that or oh my god u might offend someone.

2. private schools and the increasing numbers of people falling accross themselves to send there children to these schools so they'll get into UCD etc.

5. designer food outlets, noodle bars, creepe bars, etc. and the whole coffee shop thinig to go with that. whatever happened to a greasy spoon cafe.

just trying to get a debate going if i'm miles off no doubt someone will tell me
    1. With irish becoming more multicultural the pc thing is necessary but id agree but that it is taken too far(its much worse in england than here)

2. Most parents will do anything to make there kids life easier and better-therefore if parents can afford it they will probably choose to send their kids to private schools. However the funny thing is that there are public schools that are achieving much better results than private schools at the moment.
    Dont have a problem with this though its their money they can waste it in any way they want

3. Dunno what exactly your on about but there has always been the rich(er) in Ireland-accents like that aren't a new thing.
    Tbh don't care how someone talks once they talk sense

4.If people have the money to buy property abroad then leave them off.. Whether its an in thing or not its a luxury that they will enjoy....Once again its their money so i dont see why they shouldnt enjoy it

5.Expanding peoples tastes(food etc.) isnt really a bad thing in my view. Id never eat in those kinda places but i do think the choice4 is a good thing.

Dunno if i completely missed the point you were trying to make but those would be my views on it anyway

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    no its fine its just things i notice....

the amount of lads off to watch lenister when they dont know one end of a rugby ball from another.

the suv to bring the child to school or 50 of them, one for each child.

standing in a que at a petrol station becuase the 6 people in front of you all pay with plastic, cash is a forgotton thing in some peoples lives.

the 5 bedroom house for 2 people........
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    A fairly rubbish sweeping statement. A country will always have a mix of cllass, there's always been a middle/upper class in ireland and they've always held the power. Same in pretty much every country in the world

Fail to see how this is a middle class thing.

Can you back it up with figures? Or is just just more of the people you know?

Again, its not a new development

It’s a sign of having more money certainly but if a person has the money what would you suggest they do with it

That’s more an influence of people travelling outside of ireland/UK and realising that there are options. Are you trying to suggest this is a bad development?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    as i said if i was wrong someone would put me right. just trying to get a debate going, the sweeping statement was to get people to view the thread, used in the media every day.

i only stated my views.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    And you've been put right. Case closed.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    no its fine its just things i notice....

the amount of lads off to watch lenister when they dont know one end of a rugby ball from another.
    Its a growing sport-there has to be a first time for everyone-you weren't born knowing the rules of football either.

the suv to bring the child to school or 50 of them, one for each child.
    Ah come off the stage- even if the SUV thing was true what do you want a seperate car to bring the kids to school in. Yes people have more money-what should they do with it in your opinion??
    standing in a que at a petrol station becuase the 6 people in front of you all pay with plastic, cash is a forgotton thing in some peoples lives.
    What's so great about cash?? For a lot of peole Credit cards or handier and make more sense-you lose it you cancel it no harm done.

Whats so bad about living in luxury...once again if you have money why not spend it on enjoying your life as much as possible.

TBH i really don't see the point your making-are you saying these are all bad things??If so why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    502 Posts
    Max, is your Shift key broken, or are you trying to make a statement about the lack of proper grammar and punctuation in the middle classes?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta
    Max, is your Shift key broken, or are you trying to make a statement about the lack of proper grammar and punctuation in the middle classes?
    na i'm not middle class for a start and i know very little grammer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    If this is going to be a list of stuff that annoys max, I'll probably just move it to off topic
    ---

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    not at all dodge, did i say anywhere that they annoy me ( apart from the dart accent), its thing i've noticed increasing in the last 10 years that all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    agree with the leinster thing.went up to watch liverpool v man u match in the local recently and bloody leinster match was bein shown on the big screen for the benefit of some shams not from the area.who the hell has any identification with leinster? its either dublin or the bog. there is no leinster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    so whats your opinion on it max, is it a good thing/bad thing (seeing as you think its happening)
    ---

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think some of them are a move away from how would you say, old ireland ????

the suv to bring the kids to school...whats wrong with walking ?? ok the security issue but what about a walking bus ??? and do you need a large suv for one child ??

thats just one example.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    agree with the leinster thing.went up to watch liverpool v man u match in the local recently and bloody leinster match was bein shown on the big screen for the benefit of some shams not from the area.who the hell has any identification with leinster? its either dublin or the bog. there is no leinster.
    An Irish pub in Ireland showing an Irish team playing instead of 2 English club sides - what is the world coming to?

As for Max Powers sweeping generalisation - what are you on about. Its called progression.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have to say I've noticed a lot of that sort of thing with a lot of people back home. Is it a kind of bling bling situation??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    yeah thats the way i see things going......the smiths doing better than the jones type of thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the suv to bring the kids to school...whats wrong with walking ?? ok the security issue but what about a walking bus ??? and do you need a large suv for one child ??
    Do you walk to work yourself?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    An Irish pub in Ireland showing an Irish team playing instead of 2 English club sides - what is the world coming to?
    ah usual stupid contribution from yourself....
    yes the leinster rugby team is very representative of the general Irish public. its the blackrock national team by any other name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah thats the way i see things going......the smiths doing better than the jones type of thing.
    Its just common sense to pay a mortgage and get on the property ladder instead of wasting money on rent. There maybe some people that want to impress with their house but that will happen in every walk of life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast