Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia game at risk?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Lads seriously I would hold back on your cancelling your flights. Deal with your insurance company as there is no rush in this. As Sligo has pointed out the game could be moved to Tiblisi and where would you be then. I contacted my insurance company and I know that I will get a full refund on the flights if I cannot take them.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Lads seriously I would hold back on your cancelling your flights. Deal with your insurance company as there is no rush in this. As Sligo has pointed out the game could be moved to Tiblisi and where would you be then. I contacted my insurance company and I know that I will get a full refund on the flights if I cannot take them.
    I think at this stage it boils down to FAI/players insurance hence the rather early decision for a neutral venue. Cant really argue with it if your own country is telling you not to go. If you cant get a refund you are unlikely to be going to the neutral venue due to the initial outlay for Tbilisi.

It is a bit of a mess, clarification would be nice. Even if they did switch back to Tbilisi I wouldnt rebook until the DFA advice has changed (cant see that happening anytime soon) - to risky with no insurance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fair enough, If the game is on in Tiblisi then I would go. I think we would be alright.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fair enough, If the game is on in Tiblisi then I would go. I think we would be alright.
    I was of that opinion Neil, but would not consider going now to Tbilisi.....the political situation is highly volatile and it could kick-off in an instant

Plus I do not have any Brown underwear!!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I grew up in Tallaght and West Clare to Tiblisi at the moment holds no worries for me
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I grew up in Tallaght and West Clare to Tiblisi at the moment holds no worries for me
    Grew up in Tallaght and follow Bohs !!!! I bet you took a lot of beating at school

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am waiting on a reply from Czech airlines i emailed them last night outlining them that advise from multiple countries is not to travel and that my travel insurance would be invalid. I don't hold much hope

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligo Hornet View Post
    I was of that opinion Neil, but would not consider going now to Tbilisi.....the political situation is highly volatile and it could kick-off in an instant

Plus I do not have any Brown underwear!!

Go commando and wear dark jeans...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Dont laugh but..........

How many fans do you estimate could possibly be burnt in the pocket if the game is moved - 500? More than this? Its possible the FAI could give a sympathetic ear to fans who have lost out as its not as though its 20,000 off to Paris. Its been done before by club sides.......Just a thought
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I see Georgia beat Wales at home last night something we couldn't manage to do a few months ago. They could prove a very difficult game for us even if we are playing at a neutral venue.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDub View Post
    I am waiting on a reply from Czech airlines i emailed them last night outlining them that advise from multiple countries is not to travel and that my travel insurance would be invalid. I don't hold much hope
    Still in Norway atm, but i will do the same as soon as i get home.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    There was something on RTE that Georgia / Tiblisi has not been ruled out.

FIFA must have Inspector Clouseau on the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Looks like FIFA are taking a step backwards.
    FIFA has confirmed that it is continuing to monitor the situation in Georgia and is liaising closely with the Georgian Football Federation (GFF) over arrangements for the forthcoming 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ qualifier against Republic of Ireland on 6 September.

"FIFA will continue to closely monitor the situation in Georgia, while the Bureau of the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Cup will assess the very latest situation in the country as of 26 August 2008 - the deadline given to the Georgian Football Federation (GFF) for them to announce an alternative venue for their qualifying match against the Republic of Ireland, scheduled for 6 September 2008," read a FIFA statement. "FIFA has asked the GFF to name an alternative venue for this match by 26 August 2008 in order to be prepared, should the situation in Georgia still require a neutral venue."

Group 8 of the UEFA Zone preliminaries to South Africa 2010 also comprises Italy, Bulgaria, Cyprus and Montenegro. Georgia are due to play the Italians in Udine four days after opening up their campaign against Republic of Ireland.
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenokelly View Post
    Looks like FIFA are taking a step backwards.
    Farcical if they do, - so we take it a decision wont now be made until 26th. FIFA's indecision is final

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Newryrep View Post
    Farcical if they do, - so we take it a decision wont now be made until 26th. FIFA's indecision is final
    Ya it's a disgrace, that decision should have been final, they had enough time to "liaise" with the Georgians before making the initial statement to switch the venue. The FAI should sort this indecision out by telling FIFA to make a definite decision for the sake of the fans flights getting refunded etc.
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    The Russian's are still in the country and are digging in not leaving according to the latest reports. I can't see any of the top clubs releasing players if the game is not moved to a neutral country.
    From the BBC
    Gen Anatoly Nogovitsyn, deputy chief of the Russian military's general staff, reiterated on Thursday that "by the end of 22 August all the forces of the Russian Federation will be behind the line of our zone of responsibility".

But a BBC correspondent in the Georgian village of Igoeti, just 35km (21 miles) from the capital Tbilisi, says Russian troops there do not appear to be preparing to leave. Russian forces are also dug in around Georgia's main Black Sea port of Poti.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    The Russian's are still in the country and are digging in not leaving according to the latest reports. I can't see any of the top clubs releasing players if the game is not moved to a neutral country.
    From the BBC
    Gen Anatoly Nogovitsyn, deputy chief of the Russian military's general staff, reiterated on Thursday that "by the end of 22 August all the forces of the Russian Federation will be behind the line of our zone of responsibility".

But a BBC correspondent in the Georgian village of Igoeti, just 35km (21 miles) from the capital Tbilisi, says Russian troops there do not appear to be preparing to leave. Russian forces are also dug in around Georgia's main Black Sea port of Poti.
    Zone of responsibility is a great phrase. It means I think that the troops they have controlling Georgia will be within the area they control by the 22nd August.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Classic E mail from Air Baltic

Dear Sir,
    In this case I can only advice You to change the dates of Your flights, but in this case You have to pay date change fee 35Ls per passenger per flight plus there can be fare difference additional payment , or receice taxes back.

Best Regards, Victoria
    airBaltic
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ffs......I am now totally p*ssed off with this, and there is no way you could convince me that Tbilisi is a "safe" place to go for the foreseeable future......
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast