Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: North Tipp & District League 2008/09

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    They looked pretty poor when we played them last season, think we won 5-0.
    They also finished behind Thurles Town who didn't look great either and a young Celtic beat them 4-1 in the first League game so considering the trouble we've had with Blackcastle the last 3 times we played them it was quite a surprise to me.

Maybe they just had a weakened side when they played us lasy year because I thought they were very poor that day.

They are also mainly a soccer only team, not many of them play hurling too. So they have a fairly consistent team.

We are scheduled to play this saturday with no time being given. Nice bit of organisation with the Ireland match being on at 5pm.
    What time are these matches normally fixed at?
    Newtown Celtic FC RIP (1992-2007)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bawn79 View Post
    They are also mainly a soccer only team, not many of them play hurling too. So they have a fairly consistent team.

We are scheduled to play this saturday with no time being given. Nice bit of organisation with the Ireland match being on at 5pm.
    What time are these matches normally fixed at?
    11:30 or 14:00 on Sundays unless a different time is looked for but a Saturday game could be on at any time. The home team will probably decide what time it's at.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    11:30 or 14:00 on Sundays unless a different time is looked for but a Saturday game could be on at any time. The home team will probably decide what time it's at.
    On at six on sunday now.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi

Thought I'd hijack ye're thread to say hello. I am secretary with Brideview Utd and we have drawn Ballymackey at home in the first round of the FAI Junior Cup. We had a couple of games last season against teams from your league. We beat Nenagh Celtic 3-2 AET and went down in the next round 2-0 home to Thurles. We thought Nenagh were much better than Thurles and we really should have done better against them. Dont know what kind of team we will have as our hurlers are still in the championship and are not playing until they are finished. We have floodlights and a Friday or Saturday match might be a possibility ( even though I haven't spoke to our manager yet ). I see one poster is from Ballymackey - I will have to try and find details of your secretary and see what your thoughts are on it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexible View Post
    Hi

Thought I'd hijack ye're thread to say hello. I am secretary with Brideview Utd and we have drawn Ballymackey at home in the first round of the FAI Junior Cup. We had a couple of games last season against teams from your league. We beat Nenagh Celtic 3-2 AET and went down in the next round 2-0 home to Thurles. We thought Nenagh were much better than Thurles and we really should have done better against them. Dont know what kind of team we will have as our hurlers are still in the championship and are not playing until they are finished. We have floodlights and a Friday or Saturday match might be a possibility ( even though I haven't spoke to our manager yet ). I see one poster is from Ballymackey - I will have to try and find details of your secretary and see what your thoughts are on it.

Sent you a PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Right Thurles Town 1-1 Nenagh AFC, two penalties, Nenagh scored in first half, Thurles equalised very late on with theirs.

We hit the post twice but if you don't take your chances then you only have yourselves to blame. Well done Thurles who fought hard.

Now, **** the game for a minute, we had 3 phones and several wallets robbed from the changing room and other peoples money too. Just a word of warning for others visiting the Greyhound stadium, keep your valuables safe.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Right Thurles Town 1-1 Nenagh AFC, two penalties, Nenagh scored in first half, Thurles equalised very late on with theirs.

We hit the post twice but if you don't take your chances then you only have yourselves to blame. Well done Thurles who fought hard.

Now, **** the game for a minute, we had 3 phones and several wallets robbed from the changing room and other peoples money too. Just a word of warning for others visiting the Greyhound stadium, keep your valuables safe.
    Its a pity that there isnt some room put aside there for changing and storage of gear etc. With all the space that is there.

Our game was called off, seemingly pitch wasnt playable but Kilcommon had a stag the night before so sounds suss.
    We have had plenty of these things over the years and always managed to put a team out, even if it meant taking a beating.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Munster Junior Cup 08/09 Draw

NORTH TIPPERARY D.L.

Preliminary Round Draw

Cloughjordan v Moneygall FC
    Clodiagh Rangers v Nenagh "B" AFC
    Templetuohy FC v Clonmore FC

1st Round Draw

Cloughjordan or Moneygall v Ballingarry FC
    Thurles Town v Templetuohy or Clonmore
    Birdhill FC v Arra Rovers
    Nenagh "A" AFC v Sallypark Odrans
    Borrisokane FC v Clodiagh Rangers or Nenagh "B"
    Borrisoleigh FC v Nenagh Celtic
    Rearcross FC v Toomevara FC
    Blackcastle Utd v Borroway Rvs

2nd Round Draw
    A Blackcastle Utd or Borroway Rvs v Rearcross or Toomevara
    B Borrisokane or Clodiagh Rangers or Nenagh "B" v Birdhill or Arra Rvs
    C Cloughjordan or Moneygall or Ballingarry v Nenagh "A" or Sallypark Odrans
    D Borrisoleigh or Nenagh Celtic v Thurles Town or Templetuohy or Clonmore

3rd Round Draw
    B v D
    C v A

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjy Riordan View Post
    NORTH TIPPERARY D.L.

Preliminary Round Draw

Cloughjordan v Moneygall FC
    Clodiagh Rangers v Nenagh "B" AFC
    Templetuohy FC v Clonmore FC

1st Round Draw

Cloughjordan or Moneygall v Ballingarry FC
    Thurles Town v Templetuohy or Clonmore
    Birdhill FC v Arra Rovers
    Nenagh "A" AFC v Sallypark Odrans
    Borrisokane FC v Clodiagh Rangers or Nenagh "B"
    Borrisoleigh FC v Nenagh Celtic
    Rearcross FC v Toomevara FC
    Blackcastle Utd v Borroway Rvs

2nd Round Draw
    A Blackcastle Utd or Borroway Rvs v Rearcross or Toomevara
    B Borrisokane or Clodiagh Rangers or Nenagh "B" v Birdhill or Arra Rvs
    C Cloughjordan or Moneygall or Ballingarry v Nenagh "A" or Sallypark Odrans
    D Borrisoleigh or Nenagh Celtic v Thurles Town or Templetuohy or Clonmore

3rd Round Draw
    B v D
    C v A
    Why dont they make this into geographical sections like the FAI Junior Cup. It seems like such a chore to play against all the usual teams just to get into the Munster Junior Cup proper?
    Maybe you could even have two Munster Junior Cups - An 'A' for Premier and First Teams and a 'B' for lower divisions. I believe they have something like that in Leinster, A Leinster Junior Cup and A Leinster Junior Shield for the lower divisions.
    Last edited by bawn79; 09/09/2008 at 3:31 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    to be fair lads wouldnt it be better if all the north teams went into a shield with sides from clare and kerry and the desmond league,a proper shot at winning a provincial title? i know nenagh every odd couple of years had a result against saints or clonmel town but most finals in recent years have been all tipp south affairs with saints playing town,i am however hugely in favour of an all tipp cup,cant understand why it hasnt happened

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hooper74 View Post
    to be fair lads wouldnt it be better if all the north teams went into a shield with sides from clare and kerry and the desmond league,a proper shot at winning a provincial title? i know nenagh every odd couple of years had a result against saints or clonmel town but most finals in recent years have been all tipp south affairs with saints playing town,i am however hugely in favour of an all tipp cup,cant understand why it hasnt happened
    I've no problems with whatever the 34 other sides(if you're including B teams) in North Tipperary do but there isn't a chance in hell we'd ever want to be part of that.

We reached the semi-final of that competition last year losing to the winners 2-1 in a game I feel we really should of won if we played to our capabilities so to entertain the thought of going into a smaller competition is ludicrous to me.

It is an aim of the club this year to try and win the Munster or FAI junior Cup. Okay it's also the aim of plenty of teams from Limerick and some sides from Waterford and Cork aswell but why would we want to be part of a Mickey Mouse competition ?

The Munster Junior Cup is the second most prestigious Junior competition in the country, winning it is a great honour.

Winning some Munster Junior B title fought out between the weaker Leagues would mean **** all. Where's the honour in that ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I've no problems with whatever the 34 other sides(if you're including B teams) in North Tipperary do but there isn't a chance in hell we'd ever want to be part of that.

We reached the semi-final of that competition last year losing to the winners 2-1 in a game I feel we really should of won if we played to our capabilities so to entertain the thought of going into a smaller competition is ludicrous to me.

It is an aim of the club this year to try and win the Munster or FAI junior Cup. Okay it's also the aim of plenty of teams from Limerick and some sides from Waterford and Cork aswell but why would we want to be part of a Mickey Mouse competition ?

The Munster Junior Cup is the second most prestigious Junior competition in the country, winning it is a great honour.

Winning some Munster Junior B title fought out between the weaker Leagues would mean **** all. Where's the honour in that ?
    Got to agree with you there. However I dont like the county regionalisation bit. Doesnt do anything for teams to have to play all the same teams each year. Would be better to go to other areas and at least be shamed into doing something into there facilities by seeing what other clubs have.

I do think there should be a secondary competition ran as well though. For teams of either 1st Divison standard and below (depending on how the league is rated, so maybe 1st Divison for North Tipp and 2nd Division for others).

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with Big Ears sentiments. To be fair, North Tipp teams have done fairly well in recent years in the open draw section of Munster. Besides Nenagh AFC who reached the semi's last season, Nenagh Celtic have done well in the open stages in the last few seasons also, while going back a few more seasons, both Clodiagh and Blackcastle have got through at least two of the open draw rounds.

So on that basis, the results don't really support the idea that North Tipp clubs should only aspire to a "Munster B" standard at junior level.

As regards an All TIpp cup/league - It certainly deserves consideration - both the South Tipp and the North Tipp leagues are like the SPL in recent years (only 2 clubs in contention to win each year it seems) and perhaps an all Tipp Premier league of say the top 5 teams in both Leagues would make for a more interesting and competitive league.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I agree with Big Ears sentiments. To be fair, North Tipp teams have done fairly well in recent years in the open draw section of Munster. Besides Nenagh AFC who reached the semi's last season, Nenagh Celtic have done well in the open stages in the last few seasons also, while going back a few more seasons, both Clodiagh and Blackcastle have got through at least two of the open draw rounds.

So on that basis, the results don't really support the idea that North Tipp clubs should only aspire to a "Munster B" standard at junior level.

As regards an All TIpp cup/league - It certainly deserves consideration - both the South Tipp and the North Tipp leagues are like the SPL in recent years (only 2 clubs in contention to win each year it seems) and perhaps an all Tipp Premier league of say the top 5 teams in both Leagues would make for a more interesting and competitive league.

I think it would be a great idea, ive no doubt Nenagh and Templemore would do very well in this league. Probably Rearcross as well. Not really sure who the other two teams would be. The rest are much of muchness - depending on hurlers a bit too much.
    Would there be a guarenteed number of places - as in 5 from North and South or would you think it would be better to have a playoff for promotion to the league from the separate 1st Divisions?
    Personally Id say give a few years of guarenteed then begin with playoffs so it would truely be the best in the two areas.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    thats a fair point in terms of nenagh and aspiring to challenge provincially,do you think their cause would be helped if they played in south tipp in terms of competition league wise? well as much as it pains me to say it peake villa have won a league title more recently than saint michaels however clonmel have dominated last 5 years,in terms of the fai saints have lost recent finals,clonmel have lost consecutive quater finals and peake villa have lost a number of quarter finals and semi finals,there is an argument south tipp is strongest league in the country with the aul,i think the all tipperary cup would be an excellent competition and something new

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hooper, In terms of competitiveness, I think that certainly the two Nenagh teams, Blackcastle, Rearcross and possibly Cloughjordan would be competitive in the South Tipp prem league this season. There have been a few one sided games in this (TSDL) league this year and I'm sure the addition of the better NTDL teams would improve the overall strength in depth of the league.

As regards to the TSDL being one of the strongest leagues in the country, well that depends on the criteria used, certainly the big three clubs would be competitive in any junior (or even senior) league in the country, but outside of these, its hard to make a case for any of the rest. So I would say that the strength in depth is lacking in the TSDL as a whole for it to be considered the "strongest league" in the contry when compared to say the Limerick league or the AUL.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hooper, In terms of competitiveness, I think that certainly the two Nenagh teams, Blackcastle, Rearcross and possibly Cloughjordan would be competitive in the South Tipp prem league this season. There have been a few one sided games in this (TSDL) league this year and I'm sure the addition of the better NTDL teams would improve the overall strength in depth of the league.

As regards to the TSDL being one of the strongest leagues in the country, well that depends on the criteria used, certainly the big three clubs would be competitive in any junior (or even senior) league in the country, but outside of these, its hard to make a case for any of the rest. So I would say that the strength in depth is lacking in the TSDL as a whole for it to be considered the "strongest league" in the contry when compared to say the Limerick league or the AUL.

Starting off with an interdivisional (North & South) cup competition would be the way to go to get these started and see how feasible it is.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    benji i take your point but i do think the likes of cahir,clonmel celtic and oldbridge would beat most of those teams you mentioned,both celtic and bridge reached latter stages of fai in recent seasons,to be fair though the prove will be in the fai ties coming up between north and south teams,also the standard of pitches is miles apart?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    benji i take your point but i do think the likes of cahir,clonmel celtic and oldbridge would beat most of those teams you mentioned,both celtic and bridge reached latter stages of fai in recent seasons,to be fair though the prove will be in the fai ties coming up between north and south teams,also the standard of pitches is miles apart?
    In terms of pitches it could be a good time to introduce minimum standards for facilities, either that you have them or have contrete plans to build them to be in the new combined division. It would be similar to what they introduced in Mayo.
    That would include Nenagh, Blackcastle and Rearcross all have good facilities.

Although you mention the FAI cup ties, I dont think the results really reflect the relative strengths. A lot of our teams dont take them too serious as they dont think they will get too far, for instance my club Ballymackey entered this year in the hope of an away tie that would be a good team building session.
    So I think you would see the standard catch up with South Tipp a lot quicker if the above teams were playing against consistently good opposition.
    For instance if Nenagh Town were the only team in Nenagh playing in a combined division then they would attract all the best players in Nenagh.
    Similarly the other North Tipp teams would attract players to play in a combined division therefore strengthening the North Tipp sides.
    As it is many of the smaller clubs in the North Tipp Premier Division have a few good players that are content to play for their local club and still be in the top division. However if suddenly they were in a lower division they may move to a bigger team.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't fully agree with your first assertion, I think that the gap between these teams in the TSDL and those in NTDL is not that wide. Indeed in the FAI in recent years, Peake Villa have been beaten by Nenagh Celtic, Clonmel Celtic overturned in Clonmel by Cloughjordan, while if I'm not mistaken Clonmel Town needed penalties to see off Nenagh Town in the FAI last seanson (Big Ears can correct me on this). However as regards any NTDL team beating either Clonmel Town or the Saints, well although a few teams have gone close in recent years, no one has quite managed it yet.

As regards pitches, I would agree with you, although clubs like Nenagh Town, Rearcross, Thurles Town (Greyhound Stadium) and Clodiagh have decent enough playing surfaces at the moment. Most of the rest are either farmers fields or are very bobbly due to lack of proper care.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast