Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article re MNS in Tribune Sports TV review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Article re MNS in Tribune Sports TV review

In todays Tribune PAt Nugent devotes his "On the Air column" to MNS. In summary he says it's really good. He gives it credit for being relaxed and not just copying Sky coverage.

He also gives the leadue credit for rebranding itself over the last few years with summer soccer etc.

Not sure if you can read it on the Tribune website.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So apart from the TV column, guess how many paragraphs there are about the LoI in the Tribune's 15 (fifteen) pages of sport?
    Together with all our hearts.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    None?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Look I like the Tribune - it's definitely the best Sunday newspaper out there (not that there's much competition in fairness) but in yesterday's paper and also in their excellent 'Mad About Sport' monthly magazine there is 0 amount of coverage of the League of Ireland.

Really.

Sad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    We really need to keep badgering these people with letters to let them know it does'nt go unnoticed.A sticky thread to monitor EL coverage in national media would be a good idea IMO.We could also use it to co-ordinate our efforts and assess response.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    To be fair to the Tribune, they always run a couple of articles every year along the lines of "The Death of Irish Football", "On Its Last Legs" or "LOI: Who gives a crap? (I Don't)"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint View Post
    To be fair to the Tribune, they always run a couple of articles every year along the lines of "The Death of Irish Football", "On Its Last Legs" or "LOI: Who gives a crap? (I Don't)"
    I remember that they even had a hack in one of their sports pages - a couple of years ago admittedly - encouraging people NOT to support eL teams. That was the last day I bought the Tribune - good paper or not.
    I got no lips I got no bones where there
    were eyes there's only space

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJTheGull View Post
    Look I like the Tribune - it's definitely the best Sunday newspaper out there (not that there's much competition in fairness) but in yesterday's paper and also in their excellent 'Mad About Sport' monthly magazine there is 0 amount of coverage of the League of Ireland.

Really.

Sad.

100% agree re Tribune, only Sunday paper I can be bothered buying and every time I do I feel cheated by their pathetic lack of EL coverage. Pages and pages of Rugby and GAA yesterday, including almost a full page about the Schools Rugby, and half a page on Basket Ball.

They do a monthly "Mad About Sport" magazine, which while covering sports stories from all over the world never mentioned the LOI, until that isl somebody managed to get a letter published on their letters page giving out about the lack of coverage of domestic soccer. Next month a token article previewing the new season, focusing (nergatively) on club's finances, while lo and behold, letter of the week was a GAA fans hitting back at the LOI letter from the week before. This months magazine was out yesterday - not read it yet but I'd bet we don't exist again.

A decent Sunday has no excuse for not at least having a round up and comment piece on the previous Friday's matches. Get writing and e-mailing, I reckon!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    The Tribune is a loathsome rag in every way. Hateful, hateful newspaper. (And of course their lack of coverage of the LOI is a disgrace).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    IFTHE eircom league turned up on The X Factor you just know that Simon Cowell would send them packing.

http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_s...BCATNAME=Sport

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Yeah, my family have got the Tribune for years now (they're not bad, honestly); it never ceases to amaze me how it stubbornly ignores the LoI. It frequently manages to avoid even the most token of gestures. And with the inclusion of this monthly magazine, it further rubs it in. Pretty shameful stuff.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    Its a really cheap snide piece of rubbish. To pull one sentence from the last paragraph: "there's far too many highlights of people humping shots into empty grass terracing".

I get the sense that that intern/journo of this piece was gaven a tape of the program. He watched the nice graphics and the chat on the couch parts but frantically pressed fast-forward anytime there was actual football on-screen.

To reach the editor of Sport, contact sport@tribune.ie
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I like the Tribune. I think it approaches topics impartially. Lousy coverage of LOI and no cartoon section for Cobh fans
    Mad About Sport is a great supplement.

You can't get everything in any one paper I suppose

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I didn't see anything glaringly untrue in that piece, and I have certainly read a lot worse re. our league.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    I like the Tribune. I think it approaches topics impartially. Lousy coverage of LOI and no cartoon section for Cobh fans
    Mad About Sport is a great supplement.

You can't get everything in any one paper I suppose
    Replace "lousy" with "utterly zero" and you've got a more accurate summation. Even the results and tables get feck all space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I haven't bought the Tribune for years because of their almost zero LoI coverage. It appears nothing has changed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    Its a really cheap snide piece of rubbish. To pull one sentence from the last paragraph: "there's far too many highlights of people humping shots into empty grass terracing".
    I get the sense that that intern/journo of this piece was gaven a tape of the program. He watched the nice graphics and the chat on the couch parts but frantically pressed fast-forward anytime there was actual football on-screen.

To reach the editor of Sport, contact sport@tribune.ie
    The line about the grass terracing was silly all right (unless they showed a game from the RSC)but overrall the tone of the tone of the article was positive.

Agree about the poor EL coverage in the Tribune generally. That's why I highlighted it. Shows the benefits of MNS.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's not sexy or flash . . . there's far too many highlights of people humping
    Sounds both sexy and flash to me

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The tribune see their target market as people who mainly like rugger and gah ball. they actually give very little coverage to the EPL either. My father gets it but i think its a bit hit and miss overall... off topic but there was a superb article on suicide bombers by robert fisk in it this week.

On the article in question, it was always going to have a slightly sarcastic tone as that column approaches everythin that way.

I actually thought it was encouragin to see a tribune writer pleasantly surprised by anything to do with the loi

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Sunday Independant is equally guilty of ignorance of the domestic league. In its football round-up page in the sports section you get tables and results form all the main european leagues, all the english divisions right down to blue square, and scottish down to 3rd division and bizarrely nothing at all on our own league.
    I find that absolutely incomprehensible that a popular irish sunday paper caters for a generous estimate of 12 exiled scottish people, but not for thousands of us.
    LTID

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast