Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Sin Bin for Yellow Cards - Any views

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sin Bin for Yellow Cards - Any views

What do people think about introducing the sin bin for yellow cards. I think it would be a great idea as it should reduce the amount of yellow cards and is an actual punishment whereas unless a player gets a 2nd in the one game it really doesnt affect teams with large squads to cover for suspensions etc.

I personally would love to see it trialled maybe at an underage international level, for a season.

Any views?

(Also dont know if this is the right place to start such a thread so feel free to move it to another location)
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I think it'd mean less yellow's meaning it wouldn't be effective, and would lead to more inconsistency as ref's wouldn't want it to get too farcical so wouldn't give cards for the same challenge if it meant too many off at the same time. Either that, or some games would indeed get farcical with 8 or 9 a side at times.

In rugby the extra man/men really count, in football it just means 1 or no one up front and the rest behind the ball. It doesn't really help the opposition break them down.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    can't really see this happening at a higher level as the refs dish out yellow cards for anything these days,but maybe if they done it at a lower level from say u-8's to u-14's so it would teach these players not to make rash challenges or abuse refs as it would really effect they're team being a man down.then there might be more respect for the refs and linesmen/woman in the coming years you never see the egg chasers arguing with the refs decision
    Bake em away Toys

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It would work if ref's had more of a clue but watching matches lately and seeing the amount of cards given for silly things and the amount of times terrible tackles arent given any card at all. Its so all over the place it would be madness.

What happens if Gerrard goes diving and gets a player "sin binned" then they score when the other team is down to 10 men , i know that happens with red cards but the refs would be quicker to dish out a yellow so it would happen more often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would be for sin bin for 2nd yellow and off for third especially if the 2nd is for dissent or kicking the ball away as I think it is ridiculous to be sent off for such banal offences

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I don't think it would work as well in football as in rugby. It would likely lead to teams playing with 9 men behind the ball for the 10 minutes or however long the sin binning lasts and more boring games as a result.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    You could maybe have it for certain, defined offences that bring the game into disrepute (ie things you'd like to eradicate) like diving, dissent, kicking the ball away, squaring up to opposing players, things that aren't good for the game and aren't an intrinsic part of the game, but don't really merit a fatal red card.

From a regulatory theory perspective it's a good idea, but I won't bore ye with that stuff. Have FIFA considered it before?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    I would be for sin bin for 2nd yellow and off for third especially if the 2nd is for dissent or kicking the ball away as I think it is ridiculous to be sent off for such banal offences
    Might be something in that if it was to be used. I don't like the idea of it as a measure of first resort. Could kill a game as a spectacle in no time and, if the binning involved a 'keeper, it could kill a game as a competition.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I guess binning a keeper would have to be like binning a hooker on rugby, where you replace an outfield player with a sub goalie for the ten minutes.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    I think any player who kicks the ball away when they're already on a yellow is a moron and have no sympathy for them tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    What do people think about introducing the sin bin for yellow cards. Any views?
    Would be against it. Don't think there's really a problem with the system as it stands apart from player's own conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    I don't think it would work as well in football as in rugby. It would likely lead to teams playing with 9 men behind the ball for the 10 minutes or however long the sin binning lasts and more boring games as a result.
    Nail on head I suspect.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Terrible idea in my opinion. All football needs is for referees to follow the rulebook and start showing yellow cards to anyone who steps out of line (surrounding the ref, kicking the ball away etc.), and to not be afraid to show that 2nd yellow for similiar offences.

The only change I'd make in the rulebook is to stop carding people for celebrating a goal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Terrible idea in my opinion. All football needs is for referees to follow the rulebook and start showing yellow cards to anyone who steps out of line (surrounding the ref, kicking the ball away etc.), and to not be afraid to show that 2nd yellow for similiar offences.

The only change I'd make in the rulebook is to stop carding people for celebrating a goal

THe two things that p*** me off most is players not accepting the refs descisions and cheating / diving etc.

While no support here for sinbining I think that if refs started moving frees forward 10 yards as in rule book automatically in cases of dissent including where the defender prevents the free being taken quickly that may be a big improvement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    While no support here for sinbining I think that if refs started moving frees forward 10 yards as in rule book automatically in cases of dissent including where the defender prevents the free being taken quickly that may be a big improvement.
    I thought that rule had been dropped.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    I thought that rule had been dropped.

Could well have been, it was never widely used.