Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Football at Croke Park

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SUB of the day View Post
    Bottom line, Croker is an American football stadium in the middle of Beirut, aka northside Dublin.I have been there pre and post development,in its previous guise as an unashamed ****-hole, the place fairly rattled when full.Now it looks and feels like a project that ran out of cash.The hill 16 end is just plain ugly.As a football venue , it just doesn't work.So good to see Lansdowne bang on schedule.50,000 fans in a compact arena, covered on four sides..........just one more campaign in Croker.....thank God!
    As someone who is a lover of both Association and Gaelic Football I feel as neutral as the next man in comparing Croker to anything.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the Hill. It has retained a bit of tradition and as far as terracing goes it is quite decent. I imagine that when the new and improved Lansdowne is built, while looking like a fine stadium, will look stupid being 3 tiered on 3 sides and a glorified shed on one.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

reder
    Yep, CP just doesnt feel like home. Drinking in the pubs around the ground before a football match seems weird (just aint the same vibe as LR area) and the ground itself just feels empty.

We all know the negative aspects of the old LR but the atmosphere in it was unique. Songs echoed around the ground and that just doesnt happen in CP.

Lets hope we only have to put up with that place for one more campaign.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I agree.

I love Croke Park for the GAA, not for the soccer or rugby.

Cannot wait to be back in Lansdowne, I feel detatched from the game in Croke Park and the atmosphere is a bit strange.
    Gimme dat

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Was there anything wrong with the atmosphere in Croker for the rugby against England!??

You can't blame the stadium lads!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the Hill. It has retained a bit of tradition and as far as terracing goes it is quite decent.
    There's nothing wrong with it being terraced. The problems are that there's no roof over it and it doesn't fit in with the rest of the stadium. It looks like (and is) a remnant of the old stadium that couldn't be upgraded because of the rail line behind it. There's fantastic terracing behind one goal in Dortmund's stadium that goes as high as the rest of the stadium and is covered under the same roof as the stands around the other three sides.

There was probably nothing that the GAA could do other than leave the hill end in its current configuration because there's no space but it does look out of place with the rest of the stadium.
    I imagine that when the new and improved Lansdowne is built, while looking like a fine stadium, will look stupid being 3 tiered on 3 sides and a glorified shed on one.
    But at least it will fit together and look like it's part of a properly planned stadium. It will be roofed too.

The big problem with Croke Park for football is that the GAA pitch is too big and the football pitch is lost in the middle. Being on the Northside, it's also further away from me but some may not see that as a fundamental problem with the stadium.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I bet everytime foreigners see Croke Park for rugby or football the first thing they will ask is why they did not finish the ground...
    Last edited by pete; 30/11/2007 at 2:34 PM.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I bet everything foreigners see Croke Park for rugby or football the first thing they will ask is why they did not finish the ground...
    Bet everything eh?

What a gambler.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bottom line, Croker is an American football stadium in the middle of Beirut, aka northside Dublin.
    Nice. So the whole of North Dublin is a sh*thole. Talk about stereotyping. However, I agree with the sentiment. Can't wait to get back to Lansdowne.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ''remember the swiss with their flags in basle or the way the germans called out their team names with the PA guy. I remember been in bursa a few years ago and the stadium was full 3 hours before the start''

interesting comment there superdub - my mates and i always maintain that the reason the swiss, german, etc supporters are like this is because they actually participate weekly/fortnightly with their own club sides at games and are well used to the banter and noise needed to make a great atmosphere. Unfortunately most of the event junkies/barstoolers at CP/LR are not really alive to the 'job-description' of a fan. Most seem to be unwilling/unable to make any kind of effort and are more disposed to roaring serious abuse at their own players. I've lost count of the arguments i, and most people on here, have had with t***ers who just want to wander in during the first attack of the game and then sit there, arms crossed, and wait to be entertained! (not unlike being on a barstool really!!)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    SUB of the day

Are you Ross O'Carroll-Kelly in disguise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    Nice. So the whole of North Dublin is a sh*thole. Talk about stereotyping.
    Just take the number 40 from Parnell st to Finglas to blow that steriotype out of the water. Well, you should probably get the stop after Parnell st.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Just take the number 40 from Parnell st to Finglas to blow that steriotype out of the water. Well, you should probably get the stop after Parnell st.
    or take the dart between howth and sutton?

try the 77 on the southside
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Did anyone boycott the games in Croke Park over the Thomas Davis /Tallaght situation?
    I was given tickets to the Slovakia game for services rendered doing a voice over for a foreign ad. I paid nothing for tickets in GAA HQ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The problems are that there's no roof over it and it doesn't fit in with the rest of the stadium. It looks like (and is) a remnant of the old stadium that couldn't be upgraded because of the rail line behind it.
    Nothing wrong with choosing tradition over architectural beauty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by footballplease View Post
    ''remember the swiss with their flags in basle or the way the germans called out their team names with the PA guy. I remember been in bursa a few years ago and the stadium was full 3 hours before the start''

interesting comment there superdub - my mates and i always maintain that the reason the swiss, german, etc supporters are like this is because they actually participate weekly/fortnightly with their own club sides at games and are well used to the banter and noise needed to make a great atmosphere. Unfortunately most of the event junkies/barstoolers at CP/LR are not really alive to the 'job-description' of a fan. Most seem to be unwilling/unable to make any kind of effort and are more disposed to roaring serious abuse at their own players. I've lost count of the arguments i, and most people on here, have had with t***ers who just want to wander in during the first attack of the game and then sit there, arms crossed, and wait to be entertained! (not unlike being on a barstool really!!)
    Or maybe its the fact that we're sh!t. I'd say that has more to do with it.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Only thing wrong with the Hill is that poxy Garda CCTV station, the eyesore that breaks up the terrace. No idea why the guards need a view of the pitch when their supposed to have their backs to it, looking at monitors
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    What the FAI needs to do is put fill hill 16 with irish fans. That will create some atmosphere (as long as the team is playing well)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    What the FAI needs to do is put fill hill 16 with irish fans. That will create some atmosphere (as long as the team is playing well)
    No roof equates to no "real atmosphere".The soccer fans without a team , that populate it during the summer, do their best, but after 20 renditions of boys in blue, it just sounds tired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No roof equates to no "real atmosphere".The soccer fans without a team , that populate it during the summer, do their best, but after 20 renditions of boys in blue, it just sounds tired.
    I have been in many football stadium around europe and would still say the hill is up there with the best for creating athmosphere.

Beggers cant be choosers comes to mind when i hear some of smart comments about the quality of the athmosphere in croker. Excuses about it not been a soccer ground abounds. The reality is the only time irish fans really get behind the team are at away games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Question for "SUPERDUB"

.....where do the throngs on the hill disappear to outside the summer months?....being such fabulous fans.82000 in July, 75000 awol in January

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast