Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris McCann

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Hard to tell from a quote. I agree fully with Givens in principle but the passage above suggests Givens didn't do too much to reason with the guy either. Hard to know.

Even still, McCann only has to say that he was out of order and that he's sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I bet Garvan plays for Ipswich this weekend. He played on the same schoolboy team as McCann and O'Dea. My guess is that Garvan and McCann have no respect for Givens for whatever reason.

I remember about 5 years ago, at a mini-tournament in France, Don Givens slatting the attitudes of young Irish players in the press. For someone who works exclusively with youth players he seems to have a major hang up with them. Perhaps its time to get a younger coach, someone who understands lads of this age.
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Is that red card thing next to my name on my previous post on this matter a new addition to the site? Quite nice isn't it? It should only be a yellow though ref.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    dont know anything about mccann but theres no coincidence in the fact that this is another name to add to the list of players falling out with givens. how long has he been in charge? total loser. literally
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    No, all infractions are marked by red cards.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Hard to tell from a quote. I agree fully with Givens in principle but the passage above suggests Givens didn't do too much to reason with the guy either. Hard to know.
    Thats what i thought when i read the piece on RTE. While I agree completely in principle with Givens, he could be the kinda guy to fly off the handle. This has happened a few times now, so maybe there is another way of handling this. IrishFans suggestion of reasoning is right, good man-management is key. Sure think about it yerselves, growing up, a good coach would take a fella aside either before or directly after naming the team and saying, I went with such and such cos of A and B or whatever. Just gives the lad a little boost, whether its true or not.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    dont know anything about mccann but theres no coincidence in the fact that this is another name to add to the list of players falling out with givens. how long has he been in charge? total loser. literally
    Well if Givens' version of events is correct, Givens was left with no choice but to send the chap packing.

As for Garvan - he didn't want to play with Ipswich at the start of the season either. I don't know if he and Givens have had a falling out but Garvan has had off the field problems away from the Irish setup.

David Connolly - I'll never forget that sly little dig in the Belgium match years ago. Said a lot to me about the character of that player which revealed itself again at the time of the Greece game.

Don't think other player that Givens fell out with, Richie Foran, can have any complaints either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    are you talking about connolly getting sent off in belgium or something else?
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    are you talking about connolly getting sent off in belgium or something else?
    His "foul" prior to being sent off. .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    cant remember -what did he do again
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    cant remember -what did he do again
    He had a sly little kick at a player lying on the ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    While I don't condone McCann actions, I can see why he was miffed. He has been doing really well for his club, scoring goals from midfield. He was left out of the previous game where JJ O'Toole was parachuted in ahead of him to start and then once again he was left out with Givens playing a winger in the central midfield role (Quinn), that McCann plays in. As regards the lad not wanting to play for his country, I think that is the spin put on it by Givens. He does want to play, hence him confronting Givens.
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    As for Garvan - he didn't want to play with Ipswich at the start of the season either. I don't know if he and Givens have had a falling out but Garvan has had off the field problems away from the Irish setup.
    That's actually rubbish and was pure media bullsh1t, there's nothing wrong with Garvan's attitude, he's been messed around and ignored by various Ireland managers at various levels for years. The schoolboy scene and to a lesser degree the underage scene are riven with politics, it's a total joke. Any problems Garvan had re his football the last few years were down to a bad illness and subsequent injuries.

Givens is an arseh0le and a sh1te manger but I have to say he was right in this instance mind you.
    Last edited by Drumcondra 69er; 21/11/2007 at 11:50 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    He may be only 21, but just because you're hot stuff at Burnley doesn't mean you can whine whenever you're not used in a game. I mean you don't see every 2nd choice goalkeeper getting all p*ssy because most of them never see first team action. Part of the accepted environment of international call-up is that you may not play. I'm sure he'll learn (and who knows, maybe there was something else going on), but young players need to know how the football world works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    He may be only 21, but just because you're hot stuff at Burnley doesn't mean you can whine whenever you're not used in a game. I mean you don't see every 2nd choice goalkeeper getting all p*ssy because most of them never see first team action. Part of the accepted environment of international call-up is that you may not play. I'm sure he'll learn (and who knows, maybe there was something else going on), but young players need to know how the football world works.
    Interesting user name you have "amaccann"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    McCann isn't alone, Alan Lee has said he doesn't want to be part of the Ireland squad if it only ever means being on the bench and maybe the odd token cap. I can understand McCann's disappoitment, he travels with the squad to Montenegro and then back to Ireland and doesn't get a start in either game. McCann has been a regular for Burnley for years, Tracey and Gleeson are not seeing first team football. He handled it badly but I'm sure it was just frustration and probably resentment that he hadn't been called up earlier.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    While I think Givens' actions were correct in sending him home I hope he does not hold a grudge and alianate McCann from the Irish setup. He's only a young lad so he'll probably mature over time. He's a very good player- should have made the U-21 squad a good while ago.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    McCann isn't alone, Alan Lee has said he doesn't want to be part of the Ireland squad if it only ever means being on the bench and maybe the odd token cap.
    Isn't that a distortion of what he said? I thought he said that not being involved has helped his club form. Instead of hanging around hotels and sitting on the bench he can stay at his club and work on his fitness and the things he wants to work on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,330 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts

From eleven-a-side.com

Burnley boss hails “top-class” McCann

January 2, 2008

Exiled Republic of Ireland under-21 midfielder Chris McCann has been hailed as a superstar-in-waiting by Burnley manager and one-time Irish international Owen Coyle.

McCann has been in fine form for the Clarets this season, and has found a huge fan in Coyle, his new boss at Turfmoor.

The young Dubliner courted controversy in 2007 when walking out of Don Givens’s Irish under-21 squad after being omitted from the starting XI – but Coyle feels 2008 and beyond could see him take major steps towards the top of the game.

He told the Irish Sun: “It is easy to forget that Chris is still only 20 years of age because he seems to have been on the scene for quite some time. For someone of his age to have clocked up almost 100 first-team appearances in a tough league like the Championship shows you what he’s about.

“I don’t want to heap pressure on him, but in his position and at his age, I’m not sure I’ve seen a better player. Chris has been immense since I came in and I think he’s going to be a top player who will play at the highest level.”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast