Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerard Houllier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Disagree he took Liverpool out of the dark. Souness took them down, and Evans brought them back, actually launching serious title challenges, which Houllier never managed to do. Always thought he was a very lucky manager, especially when they won the three Cups - they were steeped that year, with numerous spectacular refereeing decisions helping them. His tactics were rather negative, dour and heavily criticised at the end and, as you noted, his record in the transfer market was awful (although as you also noted, that wouldn't count for the international game).

He won two titles at Lyon, although he had such a strong base there already (four straight titles).

He wouldn't be the worst manager, and he'd be a hell of a lot better than Stan, but he's very over-rated.

Edit - missed the entire second page. What odds the FAI are leaking these names to take the focus off the Stan blunder?!
    Evans brought them back to what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theskinloyal View Post
    Houllier had many similar problems as O'Leary.

Known to be argumentative - forced Ince and Fowler out.

Spent huge amounts of money on frankly s*it players eg Litmanen......
    Stopped reading after that, although couldn't help noticing your next line which was a beaut as well

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I am not sure where Andy Reid would fit in, in an Houllier team.
    Who gives a f**k if he qualified us for championships? I certainly wouldn't. I've had enough of the s**te managers now. McCarthy was clueless, and still is. Kerr couldn't manage and didn't know how to handle senior players, so instead he just bored them to death. Staunton - I don't need to say anything. I'll have a decent manager, with real EXPERIENCE thank you very much. And real doesn't mean Millwall or poxy Walsall

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post
    Mourinho voted the fans choice on Newstalk's Off The Ball.
    Shows the amount of retards that now follow the national team.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theskinloyal View Post

Spent huge amounts of money on frankly s*it players eg Litmanen.
    Lord God, I wonder sometimes if these people watch the same game I do What next? Let's not look at Del Bosque? Sure all he did was play that sack of crap Zidane every week

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor View Post
    Kerr couldn't manage and didn't know how to handle senior players, so instead he just bored them to death.
    Think that says more about the players...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaroo View Post
    Evans brought them back to what?
    Back to challenging for titles, to playing decent football with good home grown players.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Evans never really challenged for the title and if I'm not mistaken all he ever won at Liverpool was the League Cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,263 Posts
    He challenged for the title more than Houllier; had them in the lead in the league in February in one season. In 1996/97, they finished seven points off the title, losing 3-1 to United in April and spluttering to the end, so they were well in the hunt then. Houllier never managed that; his best season (also seven points off) was based on a great late run which started way too late to offer any sort of challenge.

In Evans' four seasons with Liverpool, only United got more points in total, so Liverpool under Evans were consistenly up there, which was an achievement given the previous, Souness, era. Houllier was way off the pace most of the time (19 points or more on four occasions).

Always struck me as being as much a moaner as O'Leary too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have to disagree about Evans. Houllier brought them up a notch. Although they were consistenly up near the top of the table in Evans' time, they never really threatened Man Utd. In 96/97 they were never going to catch Man Utd, much like Houllier's team in 01/02 despite the fact that they finished with 80 points.

One thing I do agree with though is that he was a moaner. His media interviews were woeful towards the end of his reign and he was always using statistics like corners to try to argue that his team didn't actually play sh*te football. That would be one of my main worries if he was given the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    What odds the FAI are leaking these names to take the focus off the Stan blunder?!
    I doubt it. They don't need to - there's a vacuum, and idle speculation from media punters and people like us will fill it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post
    Houllier was over all more successful than unsuccessful at Liverpool. His record with France worries me. They went into the 1994 World Cup Qualification tournament's final two games needing only a point to qualify and they lost both games WHICH WERE AT HOME!
    Houllier was more or less responsible for restructering French youth football and setting up the academy at Clarefontain, was he not? That produced the players who won in 98 and 2000. England tried to copy it with Lilleshall (sp?) but i'm not sure it worked so well. He'd be a great youth coach.

He's probably the best of the managers firmly linked with the job, and if he saves us from getting a certain D O'leary i'd be delighted. His record with Liverpool was strong enough that now it would easily qualify for the champions league most years, the real target. 98-99 7th (54pts), 99-00 4th (67), 00-01 3rd (69), 01-02 2nd (80), 02-03 5th (64), 03-04 4th (60). Rafa's record is 58, 82, 68 (5th, 3rd, 3rd).

Houllier is solid, but not spectacular. His serious problem was attacking, but defensively his Liverpool teams were okay. After the joke in Cyprus and the inability to hold on in Slovakia, defensive organisation is in serious need of attention. His experience at Lyon suggests, too, that he can beat the smaller teams. His time at Liverpool, and Lyon, suggests in bigger games he has the tendency to bottle it, but frankly that's better than what stan was giving us. If you remember back, for the 02 WC campaign we won all 8 games home and away against the smaller teams. I'd have faith in Houllier to deliver that base we need to bring us into deciding games in October and November, which is all we can ask for. With Houllier, I think, we'd be guaranteed third every time, with the real chance of second, and frankly, for the time being, we can ask no more than that.
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    I have to disagree about Evans. Houllier brought them up a notch. Although they were consistenly up near the top of the table in Evans' time, they never really threatened Man Utd. In 96/97 they were never going to catch Man Utd, much like Houllier's team in 01/02 despite the fact that they finished with 80 points.
    I've used stats to show they did in fact threaten United - leading the table in February, having pretty much a one off showdown for the title with four games to go (which they lost). Houllier brought Liverpool a huge step back in his first season (seventh), then back to where Evans had them (seven points off the title), then another huge step back.

Houllier had the advantage that fourth in his time was enough for Champions' League money; Evans never finished below fourth but second was the target then. With that money, he could have done even better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Houllier was more or less responsible for restructering French youth football and setting up the academy at Clarefontain, was he not? That produced the players who won in 98 and 2000. England tried to copy it with Lilleshall (sp?) but i'm not sure it worked so well.
    You are correct about Clairefontain, Houllier was instrumental in the development of Henry, Trezequet et al.

However Lilleshall was set up in the early 80s. The first England u21s to come out of there were hammered 4-1 in Cork with Quinner getting a hat-trick.

If we cant get Mourinho, Scolari or Capello (which we wont) its Houllier for me. Million miles ahead of O'Leary, Aldridge, Brady, Kinnear (FFS).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,263 Posts
    Thought David Kelly and Quinn got a brace each in that game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Thought David Kelly and Quinn got a brace each in that game?
    Possibly.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What about Houllier with Liam Brady as his number 2? It seems crazy to me that someone with Bradys knowledge of the game has no job in Irish football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viagogo View Post
    What about Houllier with Liam Brady as his number 2? It seems crazy to me that someone with Bradys knowledge of the game has no job in Irish football.
    Someone like Houllier wouldn't want or need an Irish assistant foisted on him, and Brady's unlikely to want the job. He's quite happy with his role as Arsenal's U21 manager and his media gigs on the side.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Someone like Houllier wouldn't want or need an Irish assistant foisted on him, and Brady's unlikely to want the job. He's quite happy with his role as Arsenal's U21 manager and his media gigs on the side.

He could still do the Arsenal U21 and the Ireland assistants job at the same time. Chris Hughton did it with Brian Kerr. Also if Houllier took over the job I wouldnt be surprised if he left after two years and then maybe you can give Brady the full-time job. Thats what they should have done with Staunton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Brady's current role is not Arsenal U21 manager. He is Director of the Arsenal Academy whose main role is the development of young players. The Academy have an U18 team and I think you will find that team is coached by former Arsenal player Steve Bould. Brady does not have any hands on involvement with team management or coaching at any level.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I think it would be crazy to rule Houllier out of the running. The man has won trophies wherever he's been. Granted at Liverpool they may not have been fantastic to watch under him but he certainly had them very well organised which would make a change from the Stan era.

Not saying he's the man for the job but it would be silly to discount him offhand if he was interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic
    You are correct about Clairefontain, Houllier was instrumental in the development of Henry, Trezequet et al.

However Lilleshall was set up in the early 80s.
    Irrelevant. That's Don Givens job, and will remain his job. Houllier would be responsible for getting the first team to tournaments. If young players come in, then fine, but he has to get them to play well for the senior side, and qualify us for championships. Staunton brought young players in by the truckload, and look where it's got us. Bring players in gradually, and let them blend into the team. Playing kids with no international experience for the sake of it, is merely going to continue the situation we're putting up with atm.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast