Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Given dropped again

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts

Given dropped again

He's too good for that club, let alone their bench. What is Sam Allardyce playing at? This was Harper last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4xoTks9Hw8, yet he kept his place in the team ahead of a fit Shay Given. Would Van der Sar or Cech have to win their places back after coming back from injury?

Hopefully Given will go to Arsenal during the winter break.
    Last edited by brine3; 24/09/2007 at 4:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I know i heard off a couple of people before that Allardyce is a bit anti Irish. He only had Joey O'Brien at Bolton and was only managing over here for a short while. I know its unlikely but that may be a factor. In all seriousness Harper is playing well and wont be fropped for the time being. Interestingly after being dropped for 2 games under Robson Given handed in a transfer request and quickly got back in the team. I hope he leaves anyway as he is better than that club. Would suit Arsenal IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hope he doesn't win his place back and gets transfered in January and watch Newcastle suffer in the next few years without him.

BTW, I don't really blame Sam for sticking with Harper because he has been very good this season and was outstanding again yesterday!

He's from England?? Well I think so and he's probably their best keeper at the mo. I wouldn't be surprised if McClaren picks him in his next squad.
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenokelly View Post
    Hope he doesn't win his place back and gets transfered in January and watch Newcastle suffer in the next few years without him.

He's from England?? Well I think so and he's probably their best keeper at the mo. I wouldn't be surprised if McClaren picks him in his next squad.
    First point is very good. For years Irish fans have cried out for given to get to a team where he will be more appreciated for how good he is and actually get to play in European football. Considering Robinson is the best England have at the mo it is likely Harper will get a call up, then the English media will big him up no end and he will be almost undroppable. i just wish Given had left some 3 years ago

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    I know i heard off a couple of people before that Allardyce is a bit anti Irish.
    That's why he came over here to finish his playing career and start his managerial career then?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Anti-Irish my (choose suitable term).

Harper is the man in possession and is doing a good job. This has happened before. Eventually, he'll mess up and Shay will be back in.

Didn't think Shay was that great for us by the way in the recent two games. Beaten at the near post for one of the goals and the Slovak equaliser might have been saved if it was the Given of old.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    That's why he came over here to finish his playing career and start his managerial career then?
    relax a bit. i didnt say for a second that i agreed with it. I heard it off two people who would not be the most reliable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think at this stage, it would unfair at Harper if he was dropped

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think Harper is rubbish and always has been but then again he has played well this season. Given is still too classy to be dropped for him but maybe he can leave and play with a team like Arsenal.
    With a squad made up of players like Green, McShocking and Kilbad we are going places. Down the gutter.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Well Arsenal is just a lazy but logical conclusion. They have two very poor keepers and I'd say Wenger is a bit dumbfounded that he's actually got loads of money to hang around that he hasn't necessarily been looking for.
    Its the only place that could really do with strengthening and Given and Cudicini are the obvious attainable targets.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'd love to see Given go to the Continent. No Donegal man would play in Italy (even if he was fluent the accent just wouldn't work with italian" but Dida is shat and imagine Given between the posts for Milan picking up some silverware.

and Breen playing at Internazionale
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Harper has always been a good keeper but this has happened on 2 or 3 occasions until he has a blip in form and then Shay gets back in. Would only be concerned if this was still the case come January.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    I know i heard off a couple of people before that Allardyce is a bit anti Irish. He only had Joey O'Brien at Bolton and was only managing over here for a short while. I know its unlikely but that may be a factor. In all seriousness Harper is playing well and wont be fropped for the time being. Interestingly after being dropped for 2 games under Robson Given handed in a transfer request and quickly got back in the team. I hope he leaves anyway as he is better than that club. Would suit Arsenal IMO
    tbh - i think this anti irish comment is thrown around a bit too much - i would be very surprised if allardyce is anti irish - ppl said the same thing about souness over the andy o brien incident at newcastle - but yet we see graeme on rte with the lads - and also (i could be wrong )but isnt souness's wife catholic)

i think given has been dropped more down to big sams stupidity than anything else - harper is not a bad keeper - but no where near the class of Given aka worlds number 1

head south shay - arsenal will surely make a move for him

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    very good point pineapple - the anti irish thing is crap - limerick FC and big sam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Didn't think Shay was that great for us by the way in the recent two games. Beaten at the near post for one of the goals and the Slovak equaliser might have been saved if it was the Given of old.
    That's because he'd had very little match practice, and still isn't getting much. Hope he gets a game in Carling Cup this week. Keepers like outfield players need games to stay sharp.
    "Look at them. They're all out of step except my son Johnny"
    Mrs. Delaney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danonion View Post
    but Dida is shat
    Yeah he is useless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    He's too good for that club, let alone their bench. What is Sam Allardyce playing at? This was Harper last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4xoTks9Hw8, yet he kept his place in the team ahead of a fit Shay Given. Would Van der Sar or Cech have to win their places back after coming back from injury?

Hopefully Given will go to Arsenal during the winter break.

Bloody hell, using that goal as a reason to drop Harper is a bit unfair, jaysus he would have needed springs in his boots and go-go gadget arms to save that one!

he is sh*t anyway though...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Harper will replace Given in the long term & be shipped out come January. Harper will return to been a 3rd rate that his & the Mags will be relagated. At the end of the season Big Sam & Shay proclaim that once a Mackem always a Mackem. But all jokng a side, I think Allardyce is trying to weed out certain players ie. Dyer & the likes, but for some strange reason Given falls into this. There's alot going on behind the scenes at the Skunks.
    Last edited by SunderlandBohs; 25/09/2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Given is wasted at that club, Allardyce is looking to put his mark on the toon and certain players will enivetibly be sold on. Given can either hang in there on the bench and try to win back his place or, come Jan if he's still on the bench then logic would surely tell him to move on? He's too good to be sitting on the bench an it's really bad news for us if he's not playing especially considering the back up we have. As for Allardyce being anti-Irish, I think this is unfounded, you couldn't manage any top football team with that kind of attitude, Souness the same, oh and 'back of the net' I hope your not implying that you have to be a catholic to be Irish or that there is even a connection? Strange comment that one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    to be honest i think he is just not playing given because harpers done well and doesnt deserve to be dropped which is fair enough , but medium to long term im sure he sees given as number one

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast