Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John Delaney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    What do you mean?
    I dont believe you!! Robson is 74 years old was already suffering with his health but tried to continue.. Dont you remember the "I'm the gaffer! the buck stops with me" speak. He knew from the offset that things were going to be really difficult!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanman2 View Post
    I dont believe you!! Robson is 74 years old was already suffering with his health but tried to continue.. Dont you remember the "I'm the gaffer! the buck stops with me" speak. He knew from the offset that things were going to be really difficult!!
    Are you telling me that you think the FAI appointed Robson because they believed that he would be unable to fulfill his contract, and that as a consequence, they would save a few quid?

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talk of protest

forget this idea of a protest outside croker before germany and cyprus it will never work.what we need to do is go down to merrion square at the weekend or next week and hold a protest outside FAI headquarters.Then they'll get the message.Anyone up for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by half_full View Post
    All of the above plus:

Himself and his father should never have gotten any sort of power in the FAI. Both blackmailed and back stabbed there way there-FACT!

Hes not even a great business man, hes been in a lot of financial trouble over the years in business.

He also has no regard for the domestic game.

Can you elaborate on those points please as opposed to making random accusations

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,256 Posts
    He has presided over the eircom League being infinitely better run than ever before.

Your points on the domestic game are well wide of the mark.

First off, the league is still not well run; it's just that other clubs now can't complain about anything. Fines are being handed out to beat the band for silly things - ask Maribor Kev here, who got Derry fined E5k for an opinion piece. Licencing is still a farce, with clubs running up huge debts, and the FAI did nothing to stop the implosion last year of Shels and Dublin City. The licencing farce is something to resign over, in my opinion.

Prize money is up, but so are league fees. In fact, only the top five clubs in the Premier and the top club in the First will see the increase in their prize money outstrip the increase in their league fees. The bottom two clubs in the First Division won't get any prize money. With respect, it sounds like you've heard things and are regurgitating them without understanding all the facts.

The Genesis Report on the eL was a complete farce, and one which was torn to shreds here (see also this summary for one example of the white lies in the report). It is evident Delaney - as head of the FAI - either didn't read the report before implementing its recommendations, or else had a particular goal in mind and requested any report to validate his opinions. That, also, is something to resign over.

The Stan and Robbo issue has been covered. That shows Delaney is not up to the job.

I don't think you can just wave away his history of back stabbing and nearly destroying Waterford United as simply as you have done.

The way the eL fans' ticket allocation was suddenly cut by 70%, a cut which he publicly defended until effectively threatened with legal action, and a cut which came at the same time as others were promoted from the block booking waiting list, is further cause to resign. It amounted to actively trying to take tickets off one group of block bookers (coincidentally the one group who had held Delaney protests before) to give them to another group.

I'm sure there's more, but that's something to chew on for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

He has presided over the eircom League getting more advertising, more media coverage and being infinitely better run than ever before.
    That's very debatable. There are the same amount of people who think handing the EL over to the FAI has had little or no effect on the league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

First off, the league is still not well run; it's just that other clubs now can't complain about anything. Fines are being handed out to beat the band for silly things - ask Maribor Kev here, who got Derry fined E5k for an opinion piece. Licencing is still a farce, with clubs running up huge debts, and the FAI did nothing to stop the implosion last year of Shels and Dublin City. The licencing farce is something to resign over, in my opinion.

Prize money is up, but so are league fees. In fact, only the top five clubs in the Premier and the top club in the First will see the increase in their prize money outstrip the increase in their league fees. The bottom two clubs in the First Division won't get any prize money. With respect, it sounds like you've heard things and are regurgitating them without understanding all the facts.

The Genesis Report on the eL was a complete farce, and one which was torn to shreds here (see also this summary for one example of the white lies in the report). It is evident Delaney - as head of the FAI - either didn't read the report before implementing its recommendations, or else had a particular goal in mind and requested any report to validate his opinions. That, also, is something to resign over.

The Stan and Robbo issue has been covered. That shows Delaney is not up to the job.

I don't think you can just wave away his history of back stabbing and nearly destroying Waterford United as simply as you have done.

The way the eL fans' ticket allocation was suddenly cut by 70%, a cut which he publicly defended until effectively threatened with legal action, and a cut which came at the same time as others were promoted from the block booking waiting list, is further cause to resign. It amounted to actively trying to take tickets off one group of block bookers (coincidentally the one group who had held Delaney protests before) to give them to another group.

fantastic post. In a nutshell.

either way, barneys reply will be of the same formula - "please expand, sure who hasnt, such is life, etc etc".

Well barney, someone said that Delaney doesnt answer to anyone. Well he should and does have someone to answer to. The fans. And i think the fans have a right to demand higher football, business and moral standards from the man who "runs" football in Ireland. Id welcome all attempts to put pressure on his position (bar criminal actions of course )

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Well barney, someone said that Delaney doesnt answer to anyone. Well he should and does have someone to answer to.
    On that, when getting rid of Kerr, he noted it was merely a review of his performance at the end of his contract, not a sacking. He said he'd have to have a review as well when his contract was up. Instead, he gave himself a four-year extension half way through his contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tis-smeee View Post
    Can you elaborate on those points please as opposed to making random accusations
    Read the book 'Who Stole Our Game', that should give you a bit of an idea

As for the domestic game...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Thanks for that post Stu, keeping things in perspective. Its too easy to push that stuff away into the back of the mind so we can keep some form of sanity.
    Though when someone did flip his (already loose) lid as Maxi did, there was not any sympathy for him at all in the EL forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could you just tell me please

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I read the book and cae to theconclusion that delaney isn't that bad! An earlier poster quoted him as saying he never went to a soccer match whereas in the book he practically grew up at Waterford United. Im going to reserve judgement on him for a few years to see what improvements the FAI make to the domestic game.

Im certainly not going to crucify him for a bunch of mediocore players losing a few games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fantastic Post Stu. He has a complete disregard for the feelings of the fans. Remember the protest that was plannned for Lansdowne and he had his Goons confiscate the banners. I think that's part of the Fascist mentality he has. There ae lot of well educated, articulate and literate people who follow Irish Football. They are able to read and understand reports, financial and otherwise. Delaney does not like criticism even when it is objective. He rules like a dictator and his appointment of Stan reflects that, no matter what way he dresses it up to suggest other people had a say in it.
    Last edited by onceahoop; 13/09/2007 at 8:08 PM.
    "Look at them. They're all out of step except my son Johnny"
    Mrs. Delaney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tis-smeee View Post
    Could you just tell me please
    IN short, himself and his father gained so much power because with them in charge at least some sort of progress could be made-they were infamous for disrupting/holding up meetings if the slightest thing wasnt to their liking. People became so fed up of their antics they simply handed them power.

IMO he didnt grow up with WUFC, he used it as a stepping stone

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Barney - is it not incredibly embarrassing trying to pretend that you're not employed by the FAI???

Throwing in the odd disparaging remark about Delaney won't cover your tracks.

Seriously pathetic stuff.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

You know what Stu, that's a great post and, as someone who is ignorant of much of it, I'll have a proper look at the facts of what you've posted. Fair play, you're the only one who has posted anything that might justify Delaney having to consider his position. Most of the rest is just rhetoric.

I would take issue with the charge that he is responsible for any destruction of Waterford United. That isn't true. There are a lot of people in Waterford whose attitudes have damaged the club, but I don't think Delaney is one of them and even if he is, there are many more that should shoulder far more of the blame.

However, I do think that the league is better run this season. Attendances are up (though no where near by what they are claiming), there is far more media coverage, they are making a big effort to get people through the gates thanks to the efforts of Noel Mooney and there are not as many points deductions for stupid things (see last season). I do absolutely agree with you that some of the fines are a joke. Gareth Cronin, Pat Scully and Derry's fines in the last 12 months have been laughable bordering on fascist. But I personally believe that it would take someone totally biased against the FAI to claim that things aren't moving in the right direction. Rome wasn't built in a day.

As for the accusation that I work for the FAI?!? I work in a 9-5 job for not a lotta money and don't know anyone working for the FAI. Just because I don't hitch my trailer to the bandwagon doesn't mean I'm doing it from the inside. Bit sad that you're that cynical khoop. I'd see someone about that paranoia.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As for the accusation that I work for the FAI?!? I work in a 9-5 job for not a lotta money and don't know anyone working for the FAI. Just because I don't hitch my trailer to the bandwagon doesn't mean I'm doing it from the inside. Bit sad that you're that cynical khoop. I'd see someone about that paranoia.
    Hilarious.

And absolutely pathetic.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khoop View Post
    Hilarious.

And absolutely pathetic.

You're a proper comedian you are.

Yes khoop, I work for the FAI. I'm John Delaney's hairstylist.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes khoop, I work for the FAI. I'm John Delaney's hairstylist
    Not quite. The term you were looking for is "apologist".

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    You're a proper comedian you are.

Yes khoop, I work for the FAI. I'm John Delaney's hairstylist.

Next time you get the scissors out, chop his ballix off!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast