Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An All-Ireland FA Cup?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

An All-Ireland FA Cup?

Brian de Salvo has just suggested merging the FAI and Irish Cups into one big super-competition.

Any takers for this? Sounds like a superb idea!
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,645 Posts
    he's a great speaker. It sounds like a good idea to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    ...and what about Europe? That would reduce the amount of Clubs from this island by one. Besides, isn't the Setanta Cup doing a good job? Cobh v Larne would cost a fortune in logistics.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Terrible idea IMO. Taking away the national cup competition would be scandalous. However I think it would be a good idea to merge the League Cups, but that's probably not feasible due to midweek games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    I'd have to agree with paddyfield.

A cross-border FA cup would have a negative effect on clubs in the lower wrungs of the respective leagues and also non-league clubs were they to be included.

That said, I can see a lot of clubs fancying the idea of playing teams from norn iron, but most will see the financial downside.

The Setanta Cup is an attractive proposition for clubs involved and for those who aspire to it. I would hazard a guess that the financial bonus from receiving a place in it, is the main reason it is valued by clubs north and south.

Dont get me wrong, show me a club that couldn't do without a few 100k.
    The supporters recognise this also and see the good it can do for a club.

A cross-border FA cup would be void of any spirit. Teams play in the FAI cup because of its heritage among other things. Scrapping what we have already would be a step.

Merging the cups would mean either us or the north having one less team in europe every year also.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    ...and what about Europe? That would reduce the amount of Clubs from this island by one.
    Just let dcfcsteve do the maths. Poof! Logic disappears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Hopefully neither association are dumb enough to relinquish their cup place.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Merge the main cup competitions- no.

Merge the league cup competitions- yes. Perhaps make entry optional and rig the first round draw to have all cross border ties.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    The league cup was circling the drain as it was. The Setanta Cup saved it. I think any further alterations would just mess it up and devalue it.

We already have an all-Ireland cup competition, let's see that grow first.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    This is interesting:

IFA backs plans for Celtic Cup
    Talks at advanced stage says Boyce
    Thursday, June 14, 2007

By Chris Holt

The Irish FA are involved in talks with other home associations in a move to set up a Celtic Cup competition.

IFA president Jim Boyce has revealed plans are afoot for a representative from the Carnegie Premier League, the eircom League, the SPL and the Welsh Premier or Welsh FA to take part in an early season competition, which would net thousands of pounds for the winners.

The tournament, which could kick-off as early as 2009, will see four teams go into the hat for a place in the lucrative final, while the two runners-up will play for third place.

Boyce, who was in Vienna last night making the draw for the UEFA under 19 Championships, says that talks "are at a very advanced stage" for a competition that would certainly help raise the profile of our domestic league.

"This is part of our ongoing talks in relation to how we could expand on the success of the Setanta Cup," he said.

"As everyone is aware, we have been trying desperately to get the British Championships up and running again on an international level and England have been the major sticking point.

"But the other home nations, including the FAI, have been moving to seek how we could work together on different matters and this is one of the things that we have come up with."

The news comes after reports emanating from the Welsh press yesterday claimed that Irish League clubs could be invited along with Scottish sides to take part in a revamped Welsh Premier Cup.

It was reported that eircom League clubs were not being asked because their league runs through the summer while teams from Northern Ireland and Scotland not competing in Europe would be eligible for inclusion.

The suggestion is that the Welsh FA were looking for a way of adding interest to their flailing Premier Cup competition by bringing clubs from here and the SPL on board.

At the minute the cup is made up by the top seven teams from the Welsh Premier League, the highest placed side out of Newport County, Merthyr Tydfil and Colwyn Bay as well as the three Welsh sides who play in the Football League ? Cardiff City, Wrexham and Swansea.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    This is interesting:

IFA backs plans for Celtic Cup
    Talks at advanced stage says Boyce
    Thursday, June 14, 2007

By Chris Holt

The Irish FA are involved in talks with other home associations in a move to set up a Celtic Cup competition.

IFA president Jim Boyce has revealed plans are afoot for a representative from the Carnegie Premier League, the eircom League, the SPL and the Welsh Premier or Welsh FA to take part in an early season competition, which would net thousands of pounds for the winners.

The tournament, which could kick-off as early as 2009, will see four teams go into the hat for a place in the lucrative final, while the two runners-up will play for third place.

Boyce, who was in Vienna last night making the draw for the UEFA under 19 Championships, says that talks "are at a very advanced stage" for a competition that would certainly help raise the profile of our domestic league.

"This is part of our ongoing talks in relation to how we could expand on the success of the Setanta Cup," he said.

"As everyone is aware, we have been trying desperately to get the British Championships up and running again on an international level and England have been the major sticking point.

"But the other home nations, including the FAI, have been moving to seek how we could work together on different matters and this is one of the things that we have come up with."

The news comes after reports emanating from the Welsh press yesterday claimed that Irish League clubs could be invited along with Scottish sides to take part in a revamped Welsh Premier Cup.

It was reported that eircom League clubs were not being asked because their league runs through the summer while teams from Northern Ireland and Scotland not competing in Europe would be eligible for inclusion.

The suggestion is that the Welsh FA were looking for a way of adding interest to their flailing Premier Cup competition by bringing clubs from here and the SPL on board.

At the minute the cup is made up by the top seven teams from the Welsh Premier League, the highest placed side out of Newport County, Merthyr Tydfil and Colwyn Bay as well as the three Welsh sides who play in the Football League ? Cardiff City, Wrexham and Swansea.
    Well if they wernt to ask IL clubs who are in Europe it would spoil the competition. Thats taking away the 4 top clubs in the league. Same as Scotland, although I doubt Celtic, Rangers, Hearts or Hibs would take part. I think the Setanta cup is enough for the IL, there would be far too many compeitions and would make players burn out.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by City till I Die View Post
    Well if they wernt to ask IL clubs who are in Europe it would spoil the competition. Thats taking away the 4 top clubs in the league. Same as Scotland, although I doubt Celtic, Rangers, Hearts or Hibs would take part. I think the Setanta cup is enough for the IL, there would be far too many compeitions and would make players burn out.
    I think this latest idea is a four team tournament, not excluding those clubs who are participating in Europe.

I agree with you that to exclude European qualifiers would spoil the competition.

However, I'm with those who believe an expanded Setanta Cup competition, on this island alone, is the way to go at this time.

Blues v Bohs etc, has more appeal to me than Blues v Motherwell.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 16/06/2007 at 4:12 PM.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I think an expanded Setanta Cup is a fantastic idea partisularly if it goes as far as to include the top 3 in the 1st division.

However I'd hate to see the FAI Cup (or indeed the Irish Cup) being dropped. there is no need either we can still have both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Interesting to hear the IFA are interested in the Celtic Cup idea. Getting the Scots on board will probably be the main stumbling block but good news on the Irish side.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    I'd have to agree with paddyfield.
    Merging the cups would mean either us or the north having one less team in europe every year also.
    How so ? , considering winning a cup does not automatically enter a team into European competition anyway .

The Association of each country decides which teams enter into Europe and most of them have just set up a structure by which the National Cup winners get a place .

The FAI could select Kildare for the Champions League if they liked no matter where they finnished in the league .

So neither Association would lose a place they would just have to re-determine their criteria for getting into Europe and would probably just give the league an extra UEFA cup place should the winner of an All-Ireland Cup not come from that Association . Giving it to the League Cup winners is another idea .

The only way European places would be lost is if the FAI and IFA merged together not just merged competitions .
    With that said each Association does need its own league , as required by UEFA/FIFA(ah one of them organising bodies)

For those of you interested in getting an All-Ireland League , there is a way around this law .
    Lets say there was an All-Ireland League of 10 teams in the Premier Division , 5 from the North and 5 from the Republic(well 4+ Derry ) .

Assume the League is made up of Linfield , Glentoran , Cliftonville , Portadown and Lisburn Distillery from the North and Drogheda , St Pats , Derry , Bohs and Cork .

Now each team would play the 30 games or so in the All-Ireland League season but in effect they would be in two leagues . The All-Ireland League and Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland League . With results for teams from the North against other teams from the North counting towards the Northern league aswell as the All-Ireland one .

Results for teams from the Republic against other sides from the Republic would count towards the Republic of Ireland League .

In this manner Associations would retain a national league aswell as having an All-ireland League and the amount of games would not be increased .
    Last edited by Big Ears; 18/06/2007 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Just let dcfcsteve do the maths. Poof! Logic disappears.
    Yawn....

Just because you'd need 8 Euro slots in any one league for UCD to get a sniff of an international game....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Just let dcfcsteve do the maths. Poof!
    Homophobia has no place on foot.ie!
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    Homophobia has no place on foot.ie!
    How do you think he got the 'Pineapple' nickname....?

Ouch....!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    Brian de Salvo has just suggested merging the FAI and Irish Cups into one big super-competition.

Any takers for this? Sounds like a superb idea!

Isnt it called the Seatanna CUP?
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L37Ultra View Post
    Isnt it called the Seatanna CUP?
    Good God no, and I'm not refering to the Seatanna bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast