Thread: Ex-eircom League players considered for Irish Squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Ex-eircom League players considered for Irish Squad

http://www.eveningecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

Unreal, and plane ticket and you are in with a shout

IRISH team manager Steve Staunton is planning to monitor centreback Alan Bennett’s progress at Reading between now and the end of the season. Staunton, who named Bennett’s new team-mate at Reading and former Cork City colleague, Shane Long, in his squad to meet San Marino away on this night week is well aware of the Corkman’s move to the Premiership.

I have seen Alan Bennett play for Cork City a few times already and each time I saw him he played well."I will keep an eye on his progress at Reading over the coming months and will be in touch with Steve Coppell too to keep track of him,” said Staunton, who gave youth its fling when naming his Euro 2008 qualifier squad at Dublin Airport yesterday.

I will keep track of him okay, along with the other Irish lads who have moved from the eircom League to new English and Scottish clubs in the transfer window". “I am well aware of Bennett and obviously this move into the Premiership and to a club like Reading will do his international hopes no harm at all,” Staunton added.

So basically eircom League players will never be considered until they get on the plane. It normally takes a few months for an announcement like this, in Doylers case it was 6 weeks i think. Now its the next day ..... FFS

Benno couldn't even make the B team a few months ago ?!?!!?!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post

So basically eircom League players will never be considered until they get on the plane.
    That's not what he said though, is it Far be it from me to defend the managerial stylings of the Gaffer but doesn't this just mean that he's already been watching Bennett and he's hardly going to stop now that he's moved to the EPL. Different story if he actually called him up to the squad (along with Hawkins, O'Callaghan, etc.).
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint View Post
    That's not what he said though, is it Far be it from me to defend the managerial stylings of the Gaffer but doesn't this just mean that he's already been watching Bennett and he's hardly going to stop now that he's moved to the EPL.
    “I have seen Alan Bennett play for Cork City a few times already and each time I saw him he played well."
    Well why didn't he call him up then?? Why now does he suggest it while a week ago he wasn't cast a thought. If he was looking at him all the time then when wasn't there ever a sign of it.

Its glaring ..... its just too hard to defend imo.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    At least he's being honest about it lads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Well why didn't he call him up then??
    Does every player you watch who plays well deserve an international call up?

Why now does he suggest it while a week ago he wasn't cast a thought.
    Because he's moved onto a significantly higher level and it'll be far easier to assess if he can compete at international level.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    Because he's moved onto a significantly higher level and it'll be far easier to assess if he can compete at international level.
    That'd make one wonder what he saw in Alan O' Brien, who seems to have been picked on the back of one appearance in the Intertoto Cup, in spite of being fourth choice left-winger for Newcastle.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    That'd make one wonder what he saw in Alan O' Brien, who seems to have been picked on the back of one appearance in the Intertoto Cup, in spite of being fourth choice left-winger for Newcastle.
    Exactly, its complete hypocrisy. Its confirmed what we all knew all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan
    Well if he's good enough for them,he'll be good enough for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It is a farce, and does not surprise me.People tying to defend 'De Dundaw faaaaawrce' are silly.I can't see what can be done though, short of nominating A face to stand for FAI president.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    He's been picked on the back of being one of Devlin's boys and I vehemently disagree with his selection but that doesn't mean I'm going to throw my footballing sensibilities out the window to avoid Staunton being a hypocrite.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I have no doubt that Staunton will never call up an eL player but his comments not exactly saying that although it is close to it. I think if he was asked a direct question he would admit to that which is no different than previous irish managers.

The big problem occurs when Staunton calls up ex-eL player based on few cross channel games. How can he explain how previously not good enough then...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I have no doubt that Staunton will never call up an eL player but his comments not exactly saying that although it is close to it. I think if he was asked a direct question he would admit to that which is no different than previous irish managers.

The big problem occurs when Staunton calls up ex-eL player based on few cross channel games. How can he explain how previously not good enough then...
    Well he picked Jason Byrne when he was with Shels but didn't pick him straight away as soon as he played (and scored) for Cardiff. He's only talking about Bennett now because he is in the news and he was asked about him.

I think you're giving Stan more credit than he deserves by thinking there is some kind of footballing philosophy or logic behind his decisions. He's all over the place - he goes on about building the "bond" between the squad and then he drops and calls up players seemingly at random (Andy Reid, Carsley, Kenny, Morrisson, Miller, Alan/Andy O'Brien, Terry Dixon, etc.). I'd love to know the turnover of players selected compared to other managers.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    becuase he cant judge a player by himself apparently. if a premiership / championship boss signs an el player then stan thinks that if manager x thinks he good sure then he must be good enough for ireland.

he relies on other peoples opinions from which to make a decision himself.
    Last edited by A face; 01/02/2007 at 5:28 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    That link will self-destruct within one hour Face.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!