Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Acceptable Scoreline in Cyprus?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Cyprus to win and then Ireland should sack the manager , get in someone with an idea of what he is planning. All this talk of looking at 2010 is just camoflage imo to cover up his lack of managerial know how.
    Whats wrong with trying to qualify for Euro 2008 its looks IMO as if he is a bluffer and this was shown with his petulent carry on when we played Germany,( if I kick a bottle down the sideline it'll look like I'm passionate about the job but really I haven't a clue what I'm trying to do here. ) Next step take off Duff as he is upsetting the Germans by getting at them .

Pleaseeeeee , Stan you were a good player for Ireland but lets just call a spade a spade and admit your in above your head.

Maybe just maybe you'll prove me wrong.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,711 Posts
    I think most of us are forgetting he was supposed to have Bobby Robson's help during this period.

Apart from Carsley's ommission, which indicates to me that O'Shea will be trusted in the "holding role", is any of Staunton's call-ups really that contentious? I really believe places 15-23 of the squad are much of a muchness and if Staunton wants to call players up for experience then fine.

Where has he said they won't be trying to qualify? I think that's what I'd call "selective interpretation".
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 04/10/2006 at 3:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think most of us are forgetting he was supposed to have Bobby Robson's help during this period.
    i think it was a joke to appoint robson (or any1 else for that matter) as adviser or consultant or whatever. either let stan sink or swim and bring in his own coaches under him, like mcdonald, hughton or whoever. it straight away put a question mark over his head.

give the man time as he is working with seriously limited resources. mccarthy was given time and he bled a whole new crop of players so lay off stan for a few games at least.

at the end of the day if we get rid of him who actually wants the job - there was hardly a massive que outside merrion sq the last time and if he is sacked after 2 competitive games i think it would be an even smaller one now. BTW the reason for the small que is the lack of players available, if we had the quality to match our expectations we would of attracted better applicants so we must make do.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Where has he said they won't be trying to qualify? I think that's what I'd call "selective interpretation".[/QUOTE]

When asked why he called up Alan Quinn before Carsley he said the decision was with a view to the future that Alan was 26 and Carsley 32 . IMO opinion we should be looking at the present and nothing beyond the Cyprus game which with Carsley in great form and a team depleted of holding midfielders Carsley should have got the nod. 2010 seems to be the yardstick that he is going to be judged by his employers and gives me reason to think that 2008 is not a priority ." selective interpretation" maybe but I'm selective about a lot of things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Where has he said they won't be trying to qualify? I think that's what I'd call "selective interpretation".
    why mention it at all?
    he could have just kept it between himself and the FAI. Its not like he just mentioned it the once. He keeps bringing it up. the desired effect was probably to lower fans expectations but it is actually having a negative effect. People are unhappy as it sends out a negative message.
    I think he should have kept it to himself. Whatever about mentioning it prior to Germany game to say it after it is just putting out the message that he doesnt have any faith in the team.
    thats the impression I get. my interpretation if you will. but it isnt selective.
    Whatever. Its an undisputable fact that he has managed himself poorly with the media.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    [QUOTE=Stuttgart88;546368]I think most of us are forgetting he was supposed to have Bobby Robson's help during this period.

This was also a mistake as it made Stan look for all the world like an apprentice to Robson and I for one felt that it underminded his position from the get go.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by First View Post
    Next step take off Duff as he is upsetting the Germans by getting at them
    Was he calling them rude names or something? He certainly wasn't upsetting them with what he did with the ball!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    I think he should have kept it to himself. Whatever about mentioning it prior to Germany game to say it after it is just putting out the message that he doesnt have any faith in the team.
    On the contrary Bill, calling up a guy like Carsley would be more of an indicator of a lack of faith in the squad.

That said, Carsley should have been there right from square one and I find the situation incredibly frustrating to say the least.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by First View Post
    When asked why he called up Alan Quinn before Carsley he said the decision was with a view to the future that Alan was 26 and Carsley 32 . IMO opinion we should be looking at the present and nothing beyond the Cyprus game which with Carsley in great form and a team depleted of holding midfielders Carsley should have got the nod. 2010 seems to be the yardstick that he is going to be judged by his employers and gives me reason to think that 2008 is not a priority ." selective interpretation" maybe but I'm selective about a lot of things.
    Maybe you're right about Quinn vs Carsley but my recollection is that he said that calling Carsley up at this late stage would be a kick in the teeth to those who've been involved in the previous games & the training camp etc. I don't remember him justifying Quinn's inclusion on the basis of the age difference but I'll take your word for it.

I wholeheartedly agree that Carsley should be there but I maintain that that's the only really contentious selection in this squad. Everything else is much pf a muchness. If Staunton prefers O'Shea to do the same role as Carsley, one that they're clearly convinced he can do, then that's his prerogative. I'm also very suspicious that we're still not hearing the full story. How can "wires be crossed" in a simple phone call?

Watching Staunton on the touchline in Stuttgart & listening to MacDonald's comments yesterday suggest he's desperate to win every game & qualify. I'd be amazed if he wasn't. Any comment about 2010 is merely trying to manage expectations, though it's contentious whether it's achieving the desired effect.

In my opinion the squad he has picked - the omission of Carsley excepted - is entirely consistent with trying to win first, and building for the future second. And I also think he's right when he says that everyone, even the potential debutants, have to stand up and be counted at some time.

On the Stan/Robson double-act, my head agrees with you but my heart always take a "glass half full" view on Irish soccer. On that basis I'm prepared to believe that Robson, in full health, could have been / could still be a useful asset to the set up through this campaign.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 05/10/2006 at 8:18 AM.

Rovers'Til IDie
    A nil all draw would be acceptable. The problem with this team is not that they are bad players, no, the problem is they don't give a damn about playing for Ireland. Staunton doesn't know what he is doing and even if he did the players all think they are bigger than the team. So I don't think it will be the usual performance we've seen from the majority of this bunch over the last few years. The exceptions to the above are Doyle and McGeady.

Rovers'Til IDie
    Correction, it Will be the usual performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    staunton should of just been appointed as manager and tthen himself if he wanted taken in robson in the role of assistant and then do whatever they wanted behind closed doors (no dirty comments please!). as in whatever role be it advisor, mentor or whatever, the fact is he has been instantly undermined by the FAI from day one with the roles.

carsley should of been included, as pointed out earlier, we have no real holding player in the squad and it would not of undermined the players as with the withdrawals there is a lack in this position and also for earlier squads he had made himself unavailable for personal reasons. it would of been a good time to introduce him to save face i.e. shortage of players + player just declared himself available. what exactly was quinn going to bring to the party that is not already there and then when he has withdrawn with no player called in to replace him (or any likely successor) why not call him up then as he could put it down to 'who else is there' if he wanted to save face.

on the whole 2010 thing all he had to say from the beginning was 'judge me when my contract expires' i.e in 2010, leave it at that, and not keep harping on about it. BTW he should have got some media training over his inactive months in the summer like all politicians do when they get appointed to higher profile positions (except jackie healy rae obviously!)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Games against Cyprus away and their likes, rarely rise above "job done" status.
    I think there have been some absurd microscopic interpretations of Stan's utterings. Stan didn't have less than 100% for each game he was ever involved in. For every game of this campaign he will be no less committed. He doesn't surrender, he is too stubborn for that.
    He stated the blinding obvious about rebuilding, without the slightest concession to a defeatist attitude. We were a 4th seeded nation, deservedly, when he took over.
    In the last campaign we all but collapsed in the most embarrasing manner to a supposed minnow and were toothless, out played and tactically out manouvered by an average, better organised. mid ranking European team on our home turf.
    Regardless of what players are still involved its still rebuilding. The questions are about is he the guy to do the rebuilding?
    Comparing the competitive records of Germany and Czech to ours we have just about a snowballs chance.
    Already the Czechs have won 3-0 AWAY against the 3rd seeded team who had knocked 6 past Cyprus.
    In order to qualify now we pretty much at least have to beat the Czechs at home and beat a higher ranked Slovakia home and away. That has never been done before by any Irish team. Home truth statistics.
    I think the Germany game was a good start by our standards and we can do better. I'd expect a similar approach in the opening 20 minutes. Fxck knows what the scoreline will be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Acceptable score?

What an extremely stupid question to ask. If you had of said, "What's an acceptable result?" that would've been fair enough.

We should be worrying about results regardless of whatever the scoreline is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I feel that in this case the performance is really as important as the result going into the Czech game.

If we play this game confidently and get a good result, as opposed to just scraping out a victory, we can really carry that momentum back home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    If we start the way we did against the germans we will blow them away....If we play like that 20 minutes for the whole games against cyprus and czechs then we will beat both...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If we play with Kilbane and O Shea in midfield we are not capable of playing like that for 90 mins as you cant play like that for a whole game and you need players that can keep possession and give the wingers and forwards a break and a breather. 90 miles and hour football is not realistic in my view so that is why possession keepers are so imporant. O Shea and even more so Kilbane are possession losers.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I feel that in this case the performance is really as important as the result going into the Czech game.
    ammm, NO. play great while cyprus defend like legends and draw.... disaster.
    play crap.... win 1-0...... job done although nothing special still 3 points next november

[/QUOTE]If we play this game confidently and get a good result, as opposed to just scraping out a victory, we can really carry that momentum back home.[/QUOTE]

the momentum will come with the result. as said above if we're class and don't get 3 points there will be damn all momentum.

hopefully we will get both on saturday but to say they are equally important is nonsence. one is of primary importance and the other will hopefully be a welcome by-product but still less important. in fact even less important than coming out of the game with no further injuries!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I never thought I would be johhny shake a shamrock but Ireland only play a few games a year and two of them in the next few days so can people lighten up on the pessimism! jesus wept....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Win --- however it happens wheather its by bad a penalty decision, offside Goal, one the ref though crossed the line, a Keane hand of God Move ----------- or a Clinton Morrison 30 yd crushing screamer that busts the top corner, as long as we win the result or how it happened does not matter. We Need to win a game and start believing again !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast