Thread: Just wondering

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by James
    gunther only a minor reason we are doing well
    So was Gunter only a minor reason for City doing badly last season? For better or for worse, the buck stops with the manager, I'd say about 65% of the teams performance rests with the manager, so I believe that he deserves more credit for going over to England and leaving his family at home for a while to track down these players, when a lot of people were saying that it was a waste of money which should have been put back into the youth set-up etc.

and all these minor reasons added to the major ones

John O Flynn
    George O Callaghan and
    Billy Woodset al
    Again, who actually went over to England, scouted these players and convinced them to play for City. (The answer is in the interviews they have given, and Ive never once heard one of them say "I heard that BL was incharge and reshaping the club", its been "Liam came to me and offered me a contract")

exactly BL does pay the wages, but where do they come from the fans, and with city prob the great majority of the money they ever made was from gate receipts, and i seriously doubt that a few thousandfans a week , as we were getting in the poor days or last year and other years, would be enough to run the club on , so i have no doubt that yea the directors do put their hands in their pockets from time to time to pay for wages.

as for shels the reason they can outspent us and offer ollie much better condidtions and i beleive he was offered a nice signing on bonus also if the rumours are correct it because despite only ever getting a fraction of the gate receipts we do they have other comercial venutures in place. WE NEVER DID.
    Im definitly not saying that the club was run perfictally (or even propperly) before, and Im not saying that he hasnt been good for the club, the new things like the family enclosure have been great, but him simply being there doesnt mean that everything is/will be rosey & that all the good things have been because of him. Its not like he has just come into things, after all he has been a board member for a long time. As for the money thing, how many people were bit.shing about the Celtic match 2 years ago? The board was slated for the match (although I think that it was a good move) for being clearly a money spinning racket, just like the golf classics. Some of these $hels-like corporate/fundraising events have been organised in the past, but the fans are the ones who complain and fail to support (just like the dog racing last year)
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Must of the league may dispise Ollie Byrne but I think secretly a lot of us would love to have a club chairman/secretary as passionate about his club as Ollie is.

Sure he goes over the top most times (cos the league/fai let him do so) but he does do it for the good of $hel$.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ya, fair point Pete, but then again, the good of $hels is also the good of Olli€!

Alot of their ideas are good, I'd love to have Man U over here, but the way they go about it is often wrong (ie they shouldnt have had it 24 hours before a league game + the Celtic one 24 hours after another). There's a thread about this on ShelsWeb at the mo. Most of them are actually pretty peeved about the way they are run. The best run club in the country is Bohs, although they also depend on 'on the pitch' success, just like us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Originally posted by Troy.McClure
    [B] and Ive never once heard one of them say "I heard that BL was incharge and reshaping the club", its been "Liam came to me and offered me a contract")
    [

haha there was i after hearing that liam had to literally beg 1 or 2 of the players to join.

as for you're gunther going over to england and scouting those players.. lol what a load of nonsense although its given me a laugh on an otherwise drab kinda monday.

those players that gunther 'scouted' (LOL) we cast offs from english league sides due to the collapse of the ITV digital deal, nothing to do whatsoever with wanting to play for city
    (bar woods of course )
    and lets get that straight

as for BL, well i aint saying he;s the massiah or anything but he sure is better then those cowboys we had previously
    luck prob has something to do with it also

as for your celtic point
    couyrse playing celtic in a preseason friendly is a good thing, its a chance to fleece all the thousands of people from glasgow that live in cork, cause they are willing to pay the €€€ to see the oirish side what ****ed me off was the fact that that tie was due to be played a day either before or after (i cant remember exctly) we were to have played in a 2nd round intertoto cup tie, (if we had beaten the metalurgus boyo's like we should have)

the fact they would have arranged such a glamour tie when potentially we would have be playing away in Holland.
    thats what ****ed me off
    - did they realise the matches could have clashed : i doubt it
    - what would they have done.. i mean this aint the fai where you can rearrange an eircom league match so you can play your important friendly,,..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    the fact they would have arranged such a glamour tie when potentially we would have be playing away in Holland.
    thats what ****ed me off
    Yeah given the appearance fee $eltic were asking for City could potentially made more out of the Dutch inter-toto game.

Its also beyond me why more poeple are interested in a pre-season friendly against $eltic than a competitive european game against players you unlikely to have a chance to see again & who could turn out to be world stars. Sure haven't the likes of Hakan Sukur, Patrik Berger, Porborsky? etc..... not to mention the Bayern Munich stars jplayed against city in europe....

The test of Gunther & Lennox will be improve (don't laugh ) the new players & if we can't sell them off for profit get them to stay with City. In our recent league campaigns we've been beater away from home so heres hoping for good result against Drogs...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    those players that gunther 'scouted' (LOL) we cast offs from english league sides due to the collapse of the ITV digital deal, nothing to do whatsoever with wanting to play for city
    (bar woods of course )
    and lets get that straight
    Exactly, Gunter went to them, Gunter convinced that comming home was good for them, Gunter was the reason they are here!

PS I dont think that Billy would have come back with Ollie still here, but thats for another thred!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Exactly, Gunter went to them, Gunter convinced that comming home was good for them, Gunter was the reason they are here!
    ok these boys were back in cork already: FACT
    where was this scouting of players u spoke of?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

where was this scouting of players u spoke of?
    Where did I say he scouted them? Thats different to approaching them and getting them to sign for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Again, who actually went over to England, scouted these players and convinced them to play for City.
    there ??

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good spot! I forgot about that!

I didnt exactly mean to say that he followed their progress in the reserve sides or whatever, but you have to admit that the guy has an eye for spotting tallent (who had heard of O'Gready last year or O'Flynn this year?). What I was saying was that he sniffed out these players who wern't exactly household names and brought them here, not BL as was semi-implied earlier.

I hope Xlex is happy with all the trouble he's caused!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i dont think anyone was half implying that BL brought the player to the clubs only the fact that he is bankrolling it..

*[SIZE=1]any self impliing on your behalf is your business*[/SIZE]

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yea gunther did sign those players, with money provided by brian lennox, last year there was no money available for players, so credit to lennox for that also
    Im sure that there's a semi-insinuation there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    oh dear, that reads to me like credit BL for providing the money and bankrolling the new signings??

anyone else ??

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I accept that ultimatly he is the one who ratifies the contracts, but the way you put it (at least to me) is that the players wouldnt have joined City if he wasnt the chairman and as I said, he have spent absolutly nothing since DM was in charge (& SFA beforehand).
    Last edited by Troy.McClure; 29/07/2002 at 7:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I accept that ultimatly he is the one who ratifies the contracts, but the way you put it (at least to me) is that the players wouldnt have joined City if he wasnt the chairman and as I said, he have spent absolutly nothing since DM was in charge (& SFA beforehand).
    ok this is just going to develop into the nit-picking thread
    well i reckon they mightnot have who knows??
    they are getting paid enough in wages which is coming from BL, so maybe that is true

BUT
    to say that they are playing cause of the great scouting job done by gunther is aload of pants..they are professional players and only playing for city cause of money, paid for by BL.

thats why GO'C and O'Flynn even though rumoured to sign for city for awhile didnt actually sign contracts.. MONEY

they wanted to sign 3 or 4 (if i remember) weeks before city started training and thus get paid from then on.
    City wanted to sign them from the week they started training, and not pay them for nothing

All down to MONEY

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok this is just going to develop into the nit-picking thread
    Develop?

to say that they are playing cause of the great scouting job done by gunther is aload of pants..they are professional players and only playing for city cause of money, paid for by BL.
    But my point is that they wouldnt even be at City to get contracts in the first place if it wernt for Gunter.

What a pointless thread!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    hmm boring is this
    miss gerry do i
    no decent debate here anymore is there?
    go must i

final point from me

But my point is that they wouldnt even be at City to get contracts in the first place if it wernt for Gunter.
    I think they would have.
    I think they wouldnt even be at City to get contracts in the first place if it wernt for Brian Lennox or a chairman willing to pay a decent wage.. its not like these players were poor players, read the peterboro and MB's of the other former clubs of theirs, they were and are good players, only released due to digital crash.

they ended up coming home to cork

- now it aint rock science for the manager of the cork based soccer club to come knocking on the doors of those players is it?

i mean its a mark of gunther expertiese as a man manager and all round people person that he practically had to beg one of the players to join and play for city.

QED: i'm right and going home for some toast and jam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    I have to see how City fare away from home aswell before I judge the team this season, not that Murphy's the one playing

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    simple rule of thumb> see how we do when the season is over.

personally i don't think city is run any better all of a sudden becuase BL is brought in. i don't doubt his intent or his passion but we can only see what improvements are made at the end of the season and not before.

as for gunther surely he knows this is his make or break season. personally I think he will it a day at the end of the seasonanyway
    john flynn? - awesome!!!!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Red face

Jeez people are ye related or something as reads like one of the pointless arguments i'd have with my brother.

btw league table positions never lie - you can be lucky in the cup but if you top the league (ignoring $hel & Pats last year) you deserve to do so.

Managers can be lucky for a while but not for ever. Given Gunther has had 1 1/2 seasons already this season shoukld show the true abilities. Gunterh may be lucky with the returnees but whoe to say Davie Barry didn't have the same luck with Ollie 'n co.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast