Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drogs v. Derry postponed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Drogs v. Derry postponed

Next Fridays clash has been postponed due to both clubs involvement in the UEFA Cup. www.droghedaunited.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Silly.
    I got no lips I got no bones where there
    were eyes there's only space

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes one could argue that a good competitive joust might be good for both sides. However a potential League title decider might also lead to a lot of injuries in both camps,leading to players being missing for the second legs of each UEFA Cup tie. If either side advance though I foresee fixture pile-ups later on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When is the cancelling of our bigs League games going to end.?

IMO this game should have gone ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This should absolutely have gone ahead. I can understand if the teams were playing on Sunday and their Euro match was on Wednesday, but a whole 6 days between matches is just ridiculous.

I'm all for the el/FAI accomodating Irish teams playing in Europe, but this to my mind has overstepped reality.
    I got no lips I got no bones where there
    were eyes there's only space

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ridiculous decision. League should have said no. Also cork should have played bray. Its not as if the dates for these European games werent known. Not only a fixture pile up but it means they will be refixed for midweek which means bad crowds and needless travelling.

KOH

garyderry
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop
    Ridiculous decision. League should have said no. Also cork should have played bray. Its not as if the dates for these European games werent known. Not only a fixture pile up but it means they will be refixed for midweek which means bad crowds and needless travelling.

KOH
    In fairness the cork circumstances were completely different, they have an away game that will be played in extreme heat (having been out there for Derry's game a few years ago) and they really needed to get out to Cyprus as soon as possible to get used to it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree it's a bummer to have such a tasty tie postponed; but if anyone were to ship a serious injury which damaged chances of european progress we'd all be whining about it. It's going to be a seriously intense game when it is played, and it can wait for another day - the european games can't. I'm with the league on this one, assuming it's what both clubs want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Bit of a balls for people planning to travel to these postponed games but if both clubs are agreeable to the change I would be ok with it.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyderry
    In fairness the cork circumstances were completely different, they have an away game that will be played in extreme heat (having been out there for Derry's game a few years ago) and they really needed to get out to Cyprus as soon as possible to get used to it.
    As it happens if the Bray game had gone ahead it would have played in very hot conditions and might have helped our aclimatising

Seriously with our small squad any injuries sustained in the Bray game could have been serious.

Game should have been postponed much earlier though. Don't see why we had to win the first leg to get a postponement.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    The main problem is that we had a three week break when there was no need for one. Now the back fixtures are starting to build up.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    The main problem is that we had a three week break when there was no need for one. Now the back fixtures are starting to build up.
    Spot on.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paudie
    Seriously with our small squad any injuries sustained in the Bray game could have been serious.
    You would have rested several players anyway. There's always George O' Callaghan if yous need him.

As you were only flying out there on Monday anyway, the postponement is of very little benefit to Cork, or indeed for different reasons, to Bray.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    Not only did we have a ridiculous break,we had it during the group stages instead of during the important matches!
    No Comment.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I think it's an amateur approach to postpone games at the weekend for European matches midweek. If Cork were to make the group stages for instance, would all their weekend games beforehand be postponed? Teams playing in the competition never seem to have a problem with playing two games in a week, even at the beginning of their season when their fitness levels wouldn't be as good. The main reason summer football was introduced was to help teams playing in Europe have an advantage, so why are games being postponed to help fitness if measures have already been taken?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm all for postponing matches to give our teams every chance of European success. Having a 2 week break at the wrong end of the world cup was a bad idea though!. What was that all about!

Glad to see our league is taking our European adventures seriously.

Every little helps and we'll need every bit we can get.

Surely too any success there would have better financial rewards and greater exposure for the league to out weight any later loss in revenue from mid-week games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer
    I agree it's a bummer to have such a tasty tie postponed; but if anyone were to ship a serious injury which damaged chances of european progress we'd all be whining about it.
    Errr - like Pat McCourt......??

Injuries happen. A player could trip over the kerb tomorrow and rule themselves out of football for 3 months.

What is likely to be worse for a team's chances in Europe - the outside risk that a key player might get injured 6 days before a game (though as we showed without McCourt, football is more than just depending on individuals), or going into a European game without having kicked a ball in anger for 11 days - in the middle of a season that has been very stop-start as it is ?

Why have Summer football to improve Euro performances, and then deny the teams involved football for up to 2 weeks before a Euro game ? Madness....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Only got to this topic now but I was shocked the game was postponed

6 days prior to your HOME games and its called off??
    If your that worried about an injury you dont deserve to be playing any sort of football at a professional level. Are they all wrapped in cotton wool for training sessions too. You'll be out of match practice after 11 days!

Joke...
    6 Days

It would have been ideal for you to get a game in 6 days ahead of the home legs and you both turned it down??? I know your both new'ish to europe but I cant see the sense in that?

Cork on the other hand has only 3 days and would have hd to travel to the two AWAY games. I can see their logic but as was pointed out they should have changed the fixture weeks ago. They had to have had an idea they would still be in with some sort of chance for the 2nd leg! Its not Madrid they were up against..
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins
    6 days prior to your HOME games and its called off??
    If your that worried about an injury you dont deserve to be playing any sort of football at a professional level. Are they all wrapped in cotton wool for training sessions too. You'll be out of match practice after 11 days!

Joke...
    6 Days
    If you thought that was bad, it doesn't quite beat the fact that one match this season was postponed for a domestic cup final in order to "protect the pitch"

Has the Bohs v Home Farm game this weekend being postponed yet in order to "protect the pitch" for Drogheda's Euro tie next week?

Red&White
    Do you ever see fixtures in the Pemiership being changed suddenly like that? How many rearrangements do they have in an entire season? Personally, I'm all for helping the teams in Europe but our match with Drogheda should have gone ahead. It makes a joke of the league if fixtures pile up as one after another is cancelled. We're coming up to the halfway point of the season and we still have yet to play any of our three games against Drogheda yet. Not only that, but it distorts the table- at no point this season have you really been able to see how things currently stand as teams are always playing catch up with fixtures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast