Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shels & Longford to appeal points loss?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Shels & Longford to appeal points loss?

Shelbourne and Longford Town, two of the club’s most adversely affected by the decision to expunge the results of Dublin City’s 17 Premier Division games this season, are reportedly considering an appeal to the league authorities.

The league opted to declare null and void the Vikings’ league results in the wake of the club’s resignation earlier this week.

That move saw Shels drop six points – enough to see them fall from first to third in the Premier Division standings – while struggling Longford saw their tally drop from 14 to 10.

According to a report in Friday’s Irish Daily Mirror, both clubs have written to the league to enquire whether the decision was taken strictly in accordance with the eircom League rule-book.

Pending the league’s response, the clubs could consider launching a formal appeal against the decision.

Champions Cork City were also badly hit by the league reshuffle, also losing the six points they had gained against Dublin City this season and dropping from second place to fourth.

http://www.elevenaside.com/premier/i...p?newsid=23553
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    TBH I think it should be left as is. If you give teams the points they had then other teams cant make the points up as there is no one to play.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieB
    TBH I think it should be left as is. If you give teams the points they had then other teams cant make the points up as there is no one to play.
    Agreed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anto McC
    Agreed!
    Were you not going crazy at Shels "losing" points?

Anyway, its standard procedure in other leagues so it should be done here. You know, proper leagues, ones woth proper rule books
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In fairness that was me! But the first round of matches should stand...
    Sitting pretty!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra Red
    In fairness that was me! But the first round of matches should stand...

the first round of matches cannot be allowed to stand. Dublin City played some teams at home, others away so what if Shels end up playing 17 home games and 14 away and Derry lose the league by a point having played 15 home/16 away or 14 home/17 away?

Removing all trace of DCFC and deciding the league table on the 30 games each team plays against the other 10 teams is the only way it should be done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bohs til i die
    the first round of matches cannot be allowed to stand. Dublin City played some teams at home, others away so what if Shels end up playing 17 home games and 14 away and Derry lose the league by a point having played 15 home/16 away or 14 home/17 away?

Removing all trace of DCFC and deciding the league table on the 30 games each team plays against the other 10 teams is the only way it should be done.
    Sensible.
    I got no lips I got no bones where there
    were eyes there's only space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    for once i agree with btid

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    If they do appeal, i wudnt be suprised if Ollie got his way. He has a knack of it!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Putting aside the above posts, DCFC amassed points unfairly in that they were living beyond their realistic means. They took points off teams with a squad they wouldn't have been able to assemble if licencing was used to full effect.
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    Putting aside the above posts, DCFC amassed points unfairly in that they were living beyond their realistic means. They took points off teams with a squad they wouldn't have been able to assemble if licencing was used to full effect.
    So we're going to exspunge all results from practically every club in the league...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The alternative option is to keep the existing points & award 3 points for all future Dublin City games.

As a fan i feel cheated that i paid in at a game that now for all purposes never existed. Of course i have no bias in this...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohs til i die

Sums it up perfectly for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    when a club can't field a team for a game, it's declared a walk-over. is that not exactly whats happening here, and yet the eL are trying to act as if dublin city never existed?
    Let the exisiting points stand. let everyone get their walkovers and 1+ goal difference so that its even. it may not be perfectly fair but its hardly perfectly fair to reward the teams who lost points and punish the teams who went out and beat them. between myself and my girlfriend we spent about €100 going to see us stuff dublin city 4-0. since we're acting as if the games never happened, can we get €20 back please? i assume the clubs will recieve a refund for match referee payments too, right? all bookings and suspensions recieved v DC negated, and those who served a suspension against them will get their bans back? and maybe those who received injuries against them could get some magic healing.

acting as if the games never happened is ludicrous and a mockery of our league. if shels or city lose the league by 3 points, i'll be disgusted.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I think we can all agree that no matter what is done, someone will feel agrieved. The removal of Dublin City has a nightmare consequence if clubs do appeal against yellows, reds, payments etc. Because there is no way we can alter time. Then again the awarding of automatci three points will annoy the teams who lost points by playing and the same "three point" argument follows, however all the top teams played DC twice so it will have less effect that removing the points.

Shels, Cork and Longford have a point, but the question is, so what if they do because is there a solution they can provide that will not just shift the loss to other clubs. Having said that, I believe there is a possibility the league didn't follow correct procedure with this.
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth
    Having said that, I believe there is a possibility the league didn't follow correct procedure with this.
    How is that Gareth?

A Bohs fan on Shelsweb said that the league simply followed the rules,if this is the case i can't argue against their decision but if it isn't the case i will be p*ssed and would probably support the club in any legal action they wish to take!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Shels, Cork and Longford have a point, but the question is, so what if they do because is there a solution they can provide that will not just shift the loss to other clubs
    so the disadvantage would shift away from teams who actually beat them to teams who managed to drop points gainst them. (people are saying its unfair that some teams have already played them twice. it wouldnt be a disadvantage if you played them twice and beat them twice!) holy god that sounds like common sense, no hope of that happening so.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anto McC
    How is that Gareth?
    the only precedent i'm aware of for something like this is Servette in switzerland, and the other teams were awarded walkovers for their remaining games.

if this years performance in europe earns ireland a seeding in the CL qualifying next year, and Cork City miss out because of a blunder like this, i can see a loss-of-income law suit arising from it. with the aid of seeding i can see Shels or Cork progressing to the third qualifying round again next year, i cant see derry or drogs doing that
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think we can all agree that no matter what is done, someone will feel agrieved. The removal of Dublin City has a nightmare consequence if clubs do appeal against yellows, reds, payments etc. Because there is no way we can alter time. Then again the awarding of automatci three points will annoy the teams who lost points by playing and the same "three point" argument follows, however all the top teams played DC twice so it will have less effect that removing the points.

Shels, Cork and Longford have a point, but the question is, so what if they do because is there a solution they can provide that will not just shift the loss to other clubs. Having said that, I believe there is a possibility the league didn't follow correct procedure with this.

Gareth

The league cannot just make a decision based on the "top teams" having played DCFC twice. There is now 11 teams in the league and the table should be decided by results involving those 11 teams playing the other 10 teams 3 times.

You seem to want the league to do what suits Shels, I think the league has to do what is best for the league, what is the fairest way to all 11 teams.

Can you explain why you think the league didnt follow "correct procedure"?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac
    the only precedent i'm aware of for something like this is Servette in switzerland, and the other teams were awarded walkovers for their remaining games.

if this years performance in europe earns ireland a seeding in the CL qualifying next year, and Cork City miss out because of a blunder like this, i can see a loss-of-income law suit arising from it. with the aid of seeding i can see Shels or Cork progressing to the third qualifying round again next year, i cant see derry or drogs doing that

Aldershot went out of existance about 12 years ago and the English FA removed all results involving them from the records, after 40 rounds of a 46 round league.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast