Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roddy Collins

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    That was probably token too but anyone who thinks Staunton carres more about the league than Kerr is an idiot. He still goes to a game a week FFS
    Well what the f*ck else is a sh*te unemployed manager to do!!

In his short tenure in charge i have already seen Stan at more games than i saw Kerr at!!
    Last edited by Anto McC; 14/05/2006 at 9:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's probably because Kerr is at most Pats home games. No surprise there.
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anto McC
    In his short tenure in charge i have seen Stan at more games i saw Kerr at!!
    Crap Anto. Kerr attended games regularly while he was underage manager and when he was senior manager. Anyone seriously claiming that Staunton is more interested in the league than Kerr is living on another planet. If Kerr didn't pick home based players it was because he honestly didn't think they were up to it. When it comes down to it you'll find that Staunton thinks so too. Anyone expecting either Byrne or Gamble to be in the squad when the qualifiers come around is heading for a disappointment. In fact I'll be surprised to see either player get on the field against Chile. Staunton is trying to play a cute game and be all things to all men as far as I can see. He knows the kicking that both McCarthy and Kerr got from the media and is concerned that the same thing doesn't happen to him. Which will be all well and good until the honeymoon period is over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Roddy who ??

I remember some Collins fella who managed a club or two a few years back, but after seen him doing anything since....

Why are the press giving this goon print space for his views ? He's a finished nobody in Irish football - which is why he's probably so keen to kick back at it.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Roddy Collins- isn't he a GAA manager?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve

Why are the press giving this goon print space for his views ? He's a finished nobody in Irish football - which is why he's probably so keen to kick back at it.
    He's a weekly columnist with the Star and has been as far back as his tenure with Dublin City. I remember him writing how he would definitely be at Dublin City come the season's end a few weeks before he jumped to Rovers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    He's a weekly columnist with the Star and has been as far back as his tenure with Dublin City. I remember him writing how he would definitely be at Dublin City come the season's end a few weeks before he jumped to Rovers.
    Ahhhhh - so he's a journalist !

Sorry - I thought he might be somebody more directly involved with the game.

Strange for a journalist to interview another journalist on something like this though. I guess they gotta keep themslves in readies though...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

I think Byrne is in the squad because beyond the top 4 strikers Ireland have feck all other options. Lee, Connolly etc... don't really scream for irish squad placement.

Gamble is best midfielder in the eL & because of unavailable players offers backup for the holding midfielder role as not so many other options in the squad. In all likehood he will not make next 22 man squad.

Since leaving Bohs Collins has failed at every management job he has undertaken. He is entitled to his opinion but media outlets like Newstalk 106 have a duty not to allow him free reign on the air - anytime i listen they never challenge anything he says because he is entertaining. Sky Sports wouldn't use a tv pundit who slagged off the Premiership at every opportunity so RTE should not employ Collins as their pundit again. If RTE use Collins again it will be very obvious what they think of the eL.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Connolly is absolute tosh. Pure rubbish. I'd take Byrne any day ahead of David Connolly.

However I would take Foley or Lee Trundle before him.
    DCFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pól-dcfc
    Connolly is absolute tosh. Pure rubbish. I'd take Byrne any day ahead of David Connolly.

However I would take Foley or Lee Trundle before him.
    Foley may be a decent player but he doesnt score near enough goals. We need a golascorer, thats why Byrne is in there

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema
    Foley may be a decent player but he doesnt score near enough goals. We need a golascorer, thats why Byrne is in there
    I'd always take Byrne over Connolly, Foley or Foran. Trundle I've never seen, so i can't comment. Jason is a proven goalscorer in League & Europe, & his style just might compliment Robby kean's style. His appointment may be political, but Staunton has said good things about him.

BTW - Roddy Collins - just ignore him & hopefully he will go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Oh no.....someone likes David Connolly. Don't do drugs!
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsBohsBohs
    Byrne's not a proven goal-scorer in Europe. He has scored a couple in preliminary stages, you can hardly give him the same acolade that the like of Shevchenko has.

People who think that he is better than David Connolly need to get a grip of themselves.
    Against better quality opposition David Connolly's goals dry up. anyway, I would play Jason before him because of their different styles. Basically, I'd pick Robby Kean first, so I'd put in Jason (bigger, powerfull) alongside him rather than David (small, nippy - not adding a different dimension to Robbie).

You are right about Shevchenko of course - but then NONE of our strikers have won the right to the same acolade as him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steve

Roddy is a contributor to Newstalks EL slot (every thursday I think) Himself and Irish Star journalist generally offer views on the latest el games, give brief previews and comment on issues concerning the league - I have to say that far from being an impediment in this role, having no job in the el finally frees Roddy to talk something approaching sense when on the radio nowdays. When he was manager at Bohs/Dub City/Rovers he was always battling on a agenda - mainly to suit himself and his own further advancement so his public comments were always perverse and he has that reputation but I've been genuinely impressed with his recent performances on newstalk - has called most EL games to a tee in his previews and analysis of how they'd go - giving evidence of how this seeming gobdaw could actually win a double.

In short he knows his football and also knows how to work the media.

In this issue he has called it for what it is - a policy decision by the FAI/Staunton - a PR move designed not solely for a footballing outcome - England are pretty much riddled with a similar type of PR before common sense approcah to squad selection under eriksson.

But that means nothing to Gamble and Byrne - if they can cadge a few mins and fluke a goal they'd be made for life career wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyl10
    Why is he? he's tellin the truth! thats a token call-up, Byrne is NOT international quality and there are better around
    And trundle is will you stop talking sh1te.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsBohsBohs
    David Connolly is a very talented player.

David Connolly is about as useful up front, as Roddy Collins is a pundit.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost

David Connolly is about as useful up front, as Roddy Collins is a pundit.
    Best ending of a thread - ever.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuanaD
    Against better quality opposition David Connolly's goals dry up.
    Not true, I think he probably scored in 3/4 of the games he started this year even after moving from leicester (he got hurt, and couldnt play for a while).

P.S. He only started about 7, scored in 3, 1 against WBA, 1 against Newcastle (FA Cup) and one against Leeds (Carling I believe) so Im right, its not his fault Jewell wouldnt start him (not to mention his hat trick against Stoke, and his goal agianst now EPL Sheffield United in the CCC) Dont count all of the games that he came on for 5 minutes at the end as opportunities
    Last edited by theworm2345; 20/05/2006 at 8:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ronnie O'Brien,

Irelands only good overseas player. Selected in the MLS season XI for the last two years.

Acquired
    Signed on July 12, 2002.

Professional Experience
    2005: Named to the MLS Bext XI team and All-Star team for second consecutive season…Was selected as the MLS Player of the Week for Week 8 after scoring goals in consecutive games on 5/18 vs. Colorado and 5/22 vs. Chivas USA… Scored the loan goal in the U.S. Open Cup semifinal 1-0 win over Chicago on 9/14.

2004: Named to MLS Best XI for the first time…Along with leading the team in assists, ranked first on the squad in games started (29) and minutes played (2,581)..Selected to start in his first MLS All-Star Game…named MLS Player of the Week after contributing to three Dallas goals on 8/28 vs. Chicago.

2003: Netted his only goal of the year with a highlight reel blast on 4/12 vs. LA…Started the first three matches of the season before suffering a broken right tibia on 5/3 @ D.C. United… Missed the next 24 matches due to the injury before coming back late in the season.

2002: joined the team in mid-July… Made his Dallas regular season debut, entering as a sub in the 69th minute and scoring his first MLS goal in the 88th minute of the 2-1 win over San Jose on 7/13… Netted the winning-goal in overtime on 8/7 vs. Coloraro in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open Cup…Registered his first MLS assist on 9/1 @ COL.

1999-2002: During his time with Juventus, he played in pre-season games and one InterToto match, entering in the 77th minute of Juventus' 5-1 in over Russian club Rostselmaschl on 4/19/99…Trained with players like Zinedine Zidane, Alessandro Del Piero and Edgar Davids … he was loaned to Lugano in Switzerland for six months, Crotone in Italy's Serie C for six months, and Lecco also in Italy's Serie C…Spent the 2001-02 season with Dundee United in Scotland, playing in 13 matches and scoring one goal.

1997-1998: Began his professional career at the age of 18 with Middlesbrough in the English league, coming from Irish soccer at Wolfe Tone, Wayside Celtic, St. Joseph's Boys, and Bray Wanderers…Spent two years with Middlesbrough before signing a five-year contract with Juventus of the Italian Serie A.

International
    Played with the Ireland U-18, U-19 and U-21 National Teams, winning the European Championship with the U-18 side.

Personal
    In August of 1999, as a member of Juventus, a computer glitch on Time Magazine's website caused O'Brien to receive the most online votes as the Time Magazine Person of the Century. It was reported that though O'Brien had received a few hundred votes, due to a high-number of people voting at the same time, the computer crashed and scrambled the results. The software glitch was corrected and O'Brien was taken off the poll…Worked as a shelf stacker at a supermarket when he was young…Enjoys playing golf and going to the movies …Listens to a variety of music, especially rhythm and blues…Once asked Franz Beckenbauer for an autograph…Has one older brother and two younger sisters…Married to Vicki.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12