Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Potter goes out on loan to Southampton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Potter goes out on loan to Southampton

Southampton have signed Liverpool midfielder Darren Potter on loan until the end of the season.

The Republic of Ireland under-21 international made his comeback from a recent injury for the Reds' reserves in midweek.

Potter, 21, last played for Rafael Benitez's first team in their Carling Cup defeat by Crystal Palace back in October, having since slipped further down the pecking order at Anfield

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0126/potterd.html

Could be a good chance for first team football for him....
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Have to admit I know little about him.

I'll keep everyone updated as to how he gets on down here.
    My other posts are intelligent and witty. This one is an exception.

www.kerins.org

Playstation Network: DanK_SFC

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Potentially very good player.Has been played out of position at Liverpool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Hearts were supposed to be offering Liverpool £750k for him. Southampton under George Burley will prove a reasonable test of his abilities if he gets regular first-team football. Good luck to him.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    Hearts were supposed to be offering Liverpool £750k for him. Southampton under George Burley will prove a reasonable test of his abilities if he gets regular first-team football. Good luck to him.

PP
    As I said in the above sticky, I don't think its a coincedence that Burley now manages Southampton. I'd say he was the manager that wanted to get Potter to Hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's been out with a back injury for the last few months but he has played reasonably well when give a chance in the first team. He has showed promise when playing for the reserves...one possibly for the future for us..
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    hopefully it'll re-invigorate the lad just like irelands favorite bench warmer at leeds
    I

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tired&Emotional
    He's been out with a back injury for the last few months but he has played reasonably well when give a chance in the first team. He has showed promise when playing for the reserves...one possibly for the future for us..
    Being realistic, it's a downward step and not one that many players work their way back from. Partridge at Wednesday being a case in point. Loaned out by Liverpool to various clubs, then sold and now struggling to make a career for himself. At 21, the future should be now if that isn't a contradiction in terms.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Being realistic, it's a downward step and not one that many players work their way back from. Partridge at Wednesday being a case in point. Loaned out by Liverpool to various clubs, then sold and now struggling to make a career for himself. At 21, the future should be now if that isn't a contradiction in terms.
    Yeah, being realistic, you're right but if he does well for the rest of the season at Southampton he can still be recalled by 'Pool and win a place in the first team or move to another Prem club, further down the table perhaps, and get a look in for the Intl team....he has time on his side for now. Wait 'n' see I suppose..

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I am going to the Southampton vs Wednesday game so I'll be able to report back on his progress.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am going to the Southampton vs Wednesday game so I'll be able to report back on his progress.
    Look forward to a good match report so...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    This situation is different. Liverpool have Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko and Hamann for central midfield while had no right sided midfielder. Benitez played Potter on the right but he never impressed there. Even after a string of poor performances in that position he still got a contract extension a few months ago. Benitez must have realised he won't make it on the right but probably feels he has a chance of making it as a central midfielder. If he impresses at Soton I'm sure he'll get one final shot at Liverpool.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I read at the weekend that Potter set up Soton's (undeserved) winner against Leicester, for whom the same paper said Paddy McCarthy was Leicester's best player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Regular football (if he gets it) should do him the world of good. I saw him playing in an U-21 friendly against Scotland in Terryland Park about 2 years ago and he was very impressive in centre midfield. He has an excellent first touch and is not short of pace either. Going on loan to Southampton in my opinion was a better move than being transferred to Hearts.
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

Roy Keane is still a pri*k!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Sounthampton have also taken Peter Madsen on loan, isn't he a central midfielder as well?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    So far so good for Potter, by all accounts, although I won't see him in the flesh until Saturday v Derby.

He's played two full games thus far, and has got promising, if not spectacular feedback.

BTW, Madsen is a striker, so is not in direct competition with Potter, who has been playing CM, but will probably switich to the right wing when Prutton gets fit in about a month.
    My other posts are intelligent and witty. This one is an exception.

www.kerins.org

Playstation Network: DanK_SFC

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    Sounthampton have also taken Peter Madsen on loan, isn't he a central midfielder as well?
    wasn't he the guy who was booed at Lansdowne against Denmark, because the PA announcer introduced him as Peter Lovenkrands? After correcting his error he then got cheered every time he got the ball and ever Irish player was booed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    wasn't he the guy who was booed at Lansdowne against Denmark, because the PA announcer introduced him as Peter Lovenkrands? After correcting his error he then got cheered every time he got the ball and ever Irish player was booed!
    Yeah that's the guy, everyone was booing him, then everyone was cheering him. Then Lovenkrands came on and he got an awful doing!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook