Page 36 of 61 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    He's 24, has played four league games to date in his career so far and is unlikely to play for his club again this season. And you'd be massively surprised if he is not a first choice keeper at a mid-table PL team this time next season? I think at this stage it is clear he wants to be at Liverpool, maybe pushing to be Liverpool's nominated first choice for (all) cup games is a more reasonable/ achievable aim for next season. Lunatic fringe :-)

Let's revisit this next season and until then we can respectfully beg to differ. It's very far from "clear" that he wants to stay at Liverpool and be first choice for cup games. His own comments and consistent media speculation would strongly suggest he is looking for a move at the end of this season. He's very highly rated by Liverpool fans, and more importantly by pundits and former players. The lunatic fringe comment was directed at those suggesting he shouldn't even be in the squad. Not sure if you are suggesting that, but if the cap fits....

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Yes, the recent mistakes thing was clearly about Southampton. For Ireland, it has been an odd error, same as Kelleher really but you probably could pick any player and pick out a few mistakes. Really nothing to be too concerned about for a 20 year old. The game is in two weeks and Bazunu will start and rightfully so. Again, it's a no brainer. Circumstances will have to change amongst the goalkeeper candidates to change that.
    The irony here of course is that you'll accuse Kenny supporters of being stuck with their opinions and blind to arguments to the contrary.

Kelleher has not made as many high-profile mistakes (in part because he's played some cushty games of course)

For Bazunu, we're not talking "a few mistakes"; we're talking potentially one of the weakest seasons a PL goalkeeper has ever seen.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    In fairness I could have kept a clean sheet against Qatar that day! Lithuania(?) too. Point taken but not fully like for like I think. Each was really frustrating because I wanted a good look at him and he barely touched the ball.

But of course he's capable.
    I guess Qatar was 2021 - but yeah, Lithuania and Malta. Both played Armenia and Scotland. Both had one higher profile friendly (Belgium and Norway) and Kelleher had the two games against Ukraine.

It’s pretty simplistic just to say, he conceded x and he conceded y - without any consideration for what the games entailed - but it does undermine people suggesting he shouldn’t be in the squad.

If you look purely at irish form, both have done very well. You could give Bazunu extra points for playing regularly but Kelleher maintained quality performances for Ireland and Liverpool while only playing occasionally. Equally you could remove points for Bazunu’s current form.

Personally I’d lean Kelleher - but I think most would/should acknowledge it’s a really tight call either way - and to say the decision is a no-brainer is just wrong

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The irony here of course is that you'll accuse Kenny supporters of being stuck with their opinions and blind to arguments to the contrary.

Kelleher has not made as many high-profile mistakes (in part because he's played some cushty games of course)

For Bazunu, we're not talking "a few mistakes"; we're talking potentially one of the weakest seasons a PL goalkeeper has ever seen.
    Like I said, as long as he's good for Ireland, then I don't really care what he does for Southampton and he has been good for us. With only a few mistakes. Now, obviously it would be better if he was showing good form at club level. When Kelleher had a few games in quick succession for Liverpool, I felt he had moved into the number 1 position for us, so I'm open to change. But he hasn't done anything since then. That's why the obvious choice is Bazunu, no matter how hard you stamp your feet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    ... no matter how hard you stamp your feet.
    mod warning Look, cut this **** out.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Let's revisit this next season and until then we can respectfully beg to differ. It's very far from "clear" that he wants to stay at Liverpool and be first choice for cup games. His own comments and consistent media speculation would strongly suggest he is looking for a move at the end of this season. He's very highly rated by Liverpool fans, and more importantly by pundits and former players. The lunatic fringe comment was directed at those suggesting he shouldn't even be in the squad. Not sure if you are suggesting that, but if the cap fits....
    In October 2021 you wrote

I don’t think either Kelleher or Bazunu have any real prospect of becoming first choice at their respective clubs. Not because they are not good enough, but simply because of who is in front of them. As things stand, I suspect Kelleher’s next move could be a transfer rather than a loan. Liverpool don’t want to loan him out, but nor would they stand in the way of a good career move. Bazunu on the other hand could well end up back at City as number 2. Paradoxically, Kelleher could be further ahead in terms of the trajectory of his career, and could, by next season be playing more regularly at a higher level.
    Not calling you up on this, as making predictions are difficult for the best of us, but in the time since you made the above post Kelleher has played 0 minutes in the PL and Bazunu has 25 starts for Southampton. That Kelleher could be further in his career trajectory in October 2021, there is no doubting Bazunu is further ahead in his career trajectory now - simply because he went out on loan and had two seasons of senior football to motivate the move to Southampton. Kelleher may be highly rated by all at Liverpool, and he has done fine when called upon by us, but he really should have chosen what Bazunu did and is currently doing. Playing time is key. Difficult to motivate a move to a fellow PL side and expect a starting place without it. And by extension, a starting position for us. Bazunu may ultimately make 10+ mistakes against France, but starting him is the correct choice.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Bazunu went on loan at a time when he was City’s 3rd or 4th choice keeper. It was an easier decision to make as he was nowhere near getting games or even making the bench. It probably wasn’t even his decision. Presenting this as evidence of ambition, confidence, courage and disparaging Kelleher, who was a recognised number 2, is absolute nonsense. Their situations were completely different. It’s equally nonsensical to assert that a player’s form or their propensity to make mistakes count for nothing so long as they are playing regularly. There is a strong and valid case for selecting Bazunu, but we are now hearing arguments that are increasingly tenuous and irrational.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Bazunu went on loan at a time when he was City’s 3rd or 4th choice keeper. It was an easier decision to make as he was nowhere near getting games or even making the bench. It probably wasn’t even his decision. Presenting this as evidence of ambition, confidence, courage and disparaging Kelleher, who was a recognised number 2, is absolute nonsense. Their situations were completely different. It’s equally nonsensical to assert that a player’s form or their propensity to make mistakes count for nothing so long as they are playing regularly. There is a strong and valid case for selecting Bazunu, but we are now hearing arguments that are increasingly tenuous and irrational.
    There is a three-year age gap between Bazunu and Kelleher. Kelleher became Liverpool’s second choice around this time 2 years ago, when he was 22. Bazunu has just turned 21 in February. I hope you’ll join me in sharing belated birthday wishes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    There is a three-year age gap between Bazunu and Kelleher. Kelleher became Liverpool’s second choice around this time 2 years ago, when he was 22. Bazunu has just turned 21 in February. I hope you’ll join me in sharing belated birthday wishes.
    so what?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    All a bit elliptical. I'm struggling to see how that supports your argument. If anything, Bazunu being younger and further down the pecking order, makes his "decision" to go on loan more obvious and less courageous, ambitious or whatever other quality of his establishes his overall superiority to Kelleher. Similarly, his "decision" to move to Southampton was undoubtedly influenced by a calculation that he would still be a third or fourth choice at City. His career moves have been dictated by circumstances and not by some inherently more laudable trait of character. The fact that Bazunu's character rather than his form is being relied upon as selection criteria is in itself revealing.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    You said “I'd be massively surprised if Kelleher is not a first choice keeper at a mid-table PL side next season”. Kelleher hasn’t played in the PL since Oct 21 and has only 4 PL appearances in total. At 24. You subsequently wanted to respectively differ when this statement was questioned to which it was (politely) shown you have a history of being wrong in similar predictions. Using Bazunu as a comparison, I’ve pointed out to you what career path Kelleher should have taken to be a first choice keeper at a mid-table PL side. Nonsense you say as Kelleher is a number 2 and can’t be compared to Bazunu, but he wasn’t a number 2 at Bazunu’s current age or at the age when Bazunu went on loan to Rochdale and Portsmouth. As it is now, being Liverpool's nominated first choice for (all) cup games is a more reasonable/ achievable aim for next season. Elliptical :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    You said “I'd be massively surprised if Kelleher is not a first choice keeper at a mid-table PL side next season”. Kelleher hasn’t played in the PL since Oct 21 and has only 4 PL appearances in total. At 24. You subsequently wanted to respectively differ when this statement was questioned to which it was (politely) shown you have a history of being wrong in similar predictions. Using Bazunu as a comparison, I’ve pointed out to you what career path Kelleher should have taken to be a first choice keeper at a mid-table PL side. Nonsense you say as Kelleher is a number 2 and can’t be compared to Bazunu, but he wasn’t a number 2 at Bazunu’s current age or at the age when Bazunu went on loan to Rochdale and Portsmouth. As it is now, being Liverpool's nominated first choice for (all) cup games is a more reasonable/ achievable aim for next season. Elliptical :-)
    this might surprise you but no player develops the same as another especially one who'd been playing outfield until he was 15

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts

Clearly I was wrong about Kelleher getting a move to another PL side at the time of the original posting, but he made a rational decision to stay at Liverpool. To say that Kelleher "should have taken" the career path you suggest to enhance his chances of getting a move to a PL side, I think is a totally unverifiable piece of speculation. By staying at Liverpool he got additional high profile exposure during last year's successful League Cup run and now has an enhanced chance of getting the right kind of move when he decides to leave. There seems to be a growing acceptance by LFC fans that he will move at the end of the season, and we'll see where he ends up. There is a similar likelihood that Southampton will be relegated. So if Kelleher is playing in the PL next season, and Bazunu isn't does this suddenly mean that Kelleher has become a better player? The point I was actually making was thatdthe fact that Bazunu is playing regularly in the PL (albeit somewhat inconsistently) does not in itself mean that he should be selected as our first choice keeper. There are other legitimate considerations, ans some obviously spurious ones.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts

Well there's a surprise

https://twitter.com/reptracker/statu...666142210?s=20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,338 Posts
    They've attributed the rumour to Jacque Talbot - https://twitter.com/jac_talbot - who writes for transfers.com
    There's nothing his twitter account about Kelleher, but he did link to a Liverpool transfer story on the site earlier today (not going to link, that site is beyond clickbait)
    Thisis the only mention of Kelleher
    Those earmarked for a probable move include Caoimhin Kelleher, Konstantinos Tsimikas, Joel Matip and Nat Phillips, who is currently being watched by Hertha Berlin.
    Just once I'd like it if these accounts did some checking

<EDIT>

Already debunked by elatedscum
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Totally unreliable source (Jacque Talbot):

“In terms of the aforementioned outgoings. Those earmarked for a probable move include Caoimhin Kelleher, Konstantinos Tsimikas, Joel Matip and Nat Phillips, who is currently being watched by Hertha Berlin. The Bundesliga side tried to sign him on loan on Deadline Day but Jurgen Klopp pulled the plug at the last minute.”

It’s basic stuff. They’ve got 6 squad members who are out of contract (Firmino, Keita, Ox, Milner, Adrian, Arthur). Liverpool are going to need a lot of money to sign the lads they want to come in to replace them. So there’s a relatively small pool of non-essential players they could sell. On the other hand, they’d need to spend a lot to replace Kelleher and he is homegrown which is a big advantage to Liverpool.

If I was guessing what would happen, I’d say Spurs sign Martinez and Kelleher goes to Villa for £20-25m
    If Adrian does leave, does that mean that Kelleher is more likely to stay? Can Liverpool lose both their backup goalkeepers, and replace them, in one transfer window?
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 09/03/2023 at 10:00 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Probably belongs on the Kelleher thread, but seems kind of apposite

https://thetransferroom.com/liverpoo...er-aston-villa

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts

Celtic have more chance of buying me as a goal-keeper than buying Kelleher for £30 Million or even £10 Million.

In a certain way ~ The less that Kelleher is sold for, the better for him, to keep the pressure off.

It could be all nonsense anyway but it will be interesting to see what happens ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts

Another article from a very dubious source. Honestly, I feel any intelligent forum member here could put these stories together.

Can’t see him going to Celtic. I think Harvey Davies is capable of being the third choice but from what I’ve seen, he’s at least a season away from being ready to be Liverpool’s number 2.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Seems to have made an excellent save in Old Trafford to keep the score at 0-0 with minutes to go; United down to ten men since the half-hour mark but still seems a solid enough performance overall as things stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Played very well and made a great save in the first half too. Switched over to the rugby though so haven’t seen the second half performance.

Page 36 of 61 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast