Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The way the FAI thinks and works

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

The way the FAI thinks and works

The FAI Chief Executive was also asked this afternoon if he had ever been offered a bribe. Laughing, he said: "No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Not on my salary!"

And we wonder what the FAI really think of the domestic league here?

No real promotion/advertisement of the league, clubs struggling on, Chief Executive earns more than league prize money, no proper TV coverage while everything is geared towards the international team instead.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I agree with this!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    The FAI Chief Executive was also asked this afternoon if he had ever been offered a bribe. Laughing, he said: "No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Not on my salary!"

And we wonder what the FAI really think of the domestic league here?

No real promotion/advertisement of the league, clubs struggling on, Chief Executive earns more than league prize money, no proper TV coverage while everything is geared towards the international team instead.

An international team who are behind Northern Ireland in the International rankings and relies heavily on the development of its players from other associations (IFA,SFA and FA)...............

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Imagine this was in England and the FA acted this way? They'd be hound it out. FAI and Delaney only care about the senior national team and the rest of us can go to pot. But they'll win us over with a few pints and a sing song and we'll lap it up.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The national team brings in the vast majority of the association's (and therefore Irish football's) income so it's right that they focus on it. But if the senior team was all they cared about why would they bother running so many underage teams for both sexes? I fully agree that the FAI should place more focus on the league and the structure of Irish football in general but sniping at the national team is missing the point.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I have no difficulty in Delaney trying get the best possible deal for Irish football.

I do have a problem with him stupidly choosing to put Ireland and the FAI in the middle of a FIFA corruption scandal.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I have no difficulty in Delaney trying get the best possible deal for Irish football.

I do have a problem with him stupidly choosing to put Ireland and the FAI in the middle of a FIFA corruption scandal.
    FIFA hand out grants and loans all the time. I fail to see what is corrupt about this incident. Also, wasn't this known at least 12 months ago so why is it only being raised now as a stick to hit the FAI with?

If a more popular head of the FAI was in place it wouldn't be an issue with many fans. There are many people just dying for an excuse to have a pop at the FAI and JD. IMO this isn't one of the more valid reasons by any stretch

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I'm watching this unfold and the one thing I ask is:

Who is guilty?

Thierry Henry cheated, his team mates - cheated, the FFA - cheated and showed how they cared little for sport or fair play. UEFA are headed by a corrupt qatari munchkin, FIFA is, like any major global company, riddled with chancers with lots of hangers on earning well.

I have no difficulty in the FAI settling out of court, I have a difficulty with going along with the pack and trying to make more scandal in order to cover up real corruption.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    389 Posts
    Was it known 12 months ago? It was only last week that Delaney was saying details of any arrangement with FIFA was confidential.

He just loves the attention too much. Ever since the furore over him singing the song he's barely been seen but obviously saw the Blatter situation as a chance to get his face in the paper and has been piping in at any chance but in typical Delaney fashion he's messed that up as well.

13. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    The national team brings in the vast majority of the association's (and therefore Irish football's) income so it's right that they focus on it. But if the senior team was all they cared about why would they bother running so many underage teams for both sexes? I fully agree that the FAI should place more focus on the league and the structure of Irish football in general but sniping at the national team is missing the point.
    But is the money and time being invested in grass roots? No. So basically the FAI is trying to put the roof on the house without putting the foundations down first. No one is having a go at the senior team as we all know the national team is the flag bearer for any FA. But let's no kind ourselves, the senior team is Delaney's vanity project. Delaney is a media wh*re and the senior team keeps him in the spotlight.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Where, how, and when this money featured in FAI finances will tell a lot about this payment. Delaney said in the past that he would consider a move in to national politics - not even a Irish party would take a punt in this liability!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    What I find hilarious is people acknowledging that this was an out of court settlement. There was zero chance of this getting near a court. All it was was money to shut Delaney up. And why has Delaney even brought it up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBlackCat View Post
    But is the money and time being invested in grass roots? No. So basically the FAI is trying to put the roof on the house without putting the foundations down first. No one is having a go at the senior team as we all know the national team is the flag bearer for any FA.
    without the senior team income there would be no income to invest in anything.
    you know its not all bad with the FAI. its just a cliché to suggest they do nothing at grassroots level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    without the senior team income there would be no income to invest in anything.
    you know its not all bad with the FAI. its just a cliché to suggest they do nothing at grassroots level
    Grassroot level is what keeps Delaney in the job. Most there very happy with him.

LOI is the problem child, not grass roots.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

20. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Delaney grabbed any media opportunity going last week when the first details of the FBI investigation went public - he was widely quoted/ used as a source in the UK media. He put himself, and the FAI, in the spotlight. We’re now reaping what he sowed.

His focus is totally on small time developments at small clubs, so grassroots that they barely out of seed - that's his power base. And why football in Ireland will never have proper structures put in place for the development of the entire game and ultimately the national team. Yes, money goes to the grassroots, but it isn't focussed, and isn't with any long term plan or goal in place*.

The pitch in my home place that he launched with great fanfare (alongside Trap iirc) looks like it's been commandeered by the GAA anyway - certainly has the posts last time I was down.

*I suppose it brings up the participation numbers, due to the number of five a side pitches available for after work games and leagues
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    The pitch in my home place that he launched with great fanfare (alongside Trap iirc) looks like it's been commandeered by the GAA anyway - certainly has the posts last time I was down.
    the same way the football club I am involved with trains on a rugby pitch largely paid for by the IRFU. we are too small a country to have expensive facilities dedicated purely to one particular sport

24. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    the same way the football club I am involved with trains on a rugby pitch largely paid for by the IRFU. we are too small a country to have expensive facilities dedicated purely to one particular sport
    Fine in theory, but if it was FAI grant money alone/ out of the FAI's allocation, it should be exclusive imo. Well certainly not for the GAA, which already has a stadium, club house with gym, 2 pitches and a hard court in the parish which are not available to football. It's just scattergun development, but the residents think Delaney's great for providing it...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I agree with jbyrne that we're too small a country to cater for all sports, but we follow the mother country in everything from financial regulation, legal system to how our civil service operates. And sadly, sports. It's every chancer for themselves and the FAI doesn't have a stranglehold on this. Yet....in Eastern Europe it can be as bad. Where once there were unified sports clubs, the fall of the USSR, Yugoslavia etc has meant that a "strongest will survive" ethos prevails. And it's slowly killing grassroots sports. We at least can be thankful there are facilities open to our kids at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Delaney grabbed any media opportunity going last week when the first details of the FBI investigation went public - he was widely quoted/ used as a source in the UK media. He put himself, and the FAI, in the spotlight. We’re now reaping what he sowed.

His focus is totally on small time developments at small clubs, so grassroots that they barely out of seed - that's his power base. And why football in Ireland will never have proper structures put in place for the development of the entire game and ultimately the national team. Yes, money goes to the grassroots, but it isn't focussed, and isn't with any long term plan or goal in place*.

*I suppose it brings up the participation numbers, due to the number of five a side pitches available for after work games and leagues
    So, much the same as Sepp with Africa and Asia?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I wish it was the sound of the clock ticking for Delaney.

http://www.the42.ie/fai-transparency-2146119-Jun2015/
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast