Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Poland - Sunday, 29th March 2015 - Euro 2016 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Anything to be optimistic about in this?
    Your pessimism makes me optimist. #Gelsenkirchen
    Last edited by DeLorean; 19/03/2015 at 8:06 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    But the fact that AB is dreading the fixture, means he still cares, he's the opposite of apathetic.

Real fans hope to win and if their team does lose, they manage to recover from that tragedy/trauma much faster that those fans (the self styled realists) who knew in their hearts that we were going to lose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I hate those type of people who say we're sh1te and then when we get in to a big tournament they jump on the bandwagon and then when we get knocked out they say 'sure I knew we'd get knocked out, we're sh1te anyway'.
    I HATE those people!
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I hate those type of people who say we're sh1te and then when we get in to a big tournament they jump on the bandwagon and then when we get knocked out they say 'sure I knew we'd get knocked out, we're sh1te anyway'.
    I HATE those people!
    So you hate all but about six Irish football fans?

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Anything to be optimistic about in this?
    Personally dreading this fixture...
    they have a poorish record away from home.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    It's always easier to be pessimistic about Ireland's qualification chances, or our chances of winning a game against a country ten times our size. Looking at things totally rationally it's a miracle we've ever beaten anyone of note. Small country, no full time professional league, one of the few countries in the world where football isn't the dominant sport.

It's not how I look at things though. Burnley beat Man City 1-0. Same score as Barcelona beat them. Stuff happens in football.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    if we were to lose, is it fair to say we're effectively out of the running? i guess not, as beating scotland would put us in the race for 3rd.

trap would be looking at this fixture as a 'must not lose'... but we probably wouldn't have lost in glasgow under trap.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    MON used the Trap template in Glasgow, more or less. The only major difference is that Keane would have started and quite possibly nicked a goal. I doubt Trap would have used Hendrick (an attacking midfielder) in a holding role either, with the likes of Quinn and Meyler available. We could just as easily have lost under Trap though, as you're always running the risk when you're limiting yourselves by playing for a draw. Trap lost in Austria in his last game, if that was MON I'm sure people would be saying that Trap would have got a draw. Hopefully we're more likely to win at home under MON, we could hardly be less likely I suppose.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    MON used the Trap template in Glasgow, more or less. The only major difference is that Keane would have started and quite possibly nicked a goal. I doubt Trap would have used Hendrick (an attacking midfielder) in a holding role either, with the likes of Quinn and Meyler available. We could just as easily have lost under Trap though, as you're always running the risk when you're limiting yourselves by playing for a draw. Trap lost in Austria in his last game, if that was MON I'm sure people would be saying that Trap would have got a draw. Hopefully we're more likely to win at home under MON, we could hardly be less likely I suppose.
    DeLorean you have taken a few steps away from reality and appear to be in a complicated conditional space.
    You should be okay I guess, it will only be a lasting problem if you believe that's how it all would have transpired and it becomes a part of your reality.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    And funnily enough, my intention was quite the opposite... fighting off any presumptions notions that things would have been better, conditional upon Trap being in charge, or Whelan being available, etc.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I don't think we should give up on Long/Walters or Long on his own up front already just because of one bad result. I don't think Keane would have made the slightest bit of difference really, based on his performances against Georgia or Germany.

I think we are going to go back to the well against Poland though, so hopefully we can find a way to best accommodate Keane while also trying to figure out how not to get completely overrun in midfield; again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    That Teodorczyk lad who plays for Dynamo Kiev looks like a good player by the way.

Goes to show that you can't always place too much stock in the big name players; Kuba, Lewy, Pisz. All around, they are probably technically sharper even if they are lacking in name familiarity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I don't think we should give up on Long/Walters or Long on his own up front already just because of one bad result. I don't think Keane would have made the slightest bit of difference really, based on his performances against Georgia or Germany.

I think we are going to go back to the well against Poland though, so hopefully we can find a way to best accommodate Keane while also trying to figure out how not to get completely overrun in midfield; again.
    Yeah I'd go with Keane against Championship level centre halves every time though, and I think Long and Walters would have a better impact from the bench than Keane. Long also has the ability to cause havok from the start, if used properly, but it's one or the other against Poland because we will need five in midfield.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would like to see Keane and Hoolahan on the pitch together. It is rare that they play together and in my opinion they should link up well together since Hoolahan can pick a pass and Keane's ability to find space. This issue of Keane cant play up front on his own because hes too small and doesn't have the pace would be irrelevant if Hoolahan is on the pitch since he encourages us to keep the ball and play on the floor while when we play Long/Walter (I'm a big fan of both players) we almost give ourselves the ok to just kick the ball up the pitch and hope for the best. In my opinion Keane up front with Hoolahan playing as the attacking midfielder is the way to go for this game.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    It's just that Robbie is so far ahead in the realm of football intelligence that it's a task to find other players who are smart enough to complement his playing style, maybe Hoolahan could step up to that task.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Funny that he didn't complete a season at either Liverpool or Inter when given a chance to play with players on his wavelength.

Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 21/03/2015 at 7:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Forde
    Coleman, O'Shea, Clark, Wilson
    McGeady, McCarthy, Gibson, McClean
    Hoolahan
    Keane

Forde
    McCarthy, Whelan, Gibson
    McClean Long
    Keane
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 21/03/2015 at 7:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Forde
    McGeady, McCarthy, Gibson, McClean
    Hoolahan
    Keane

Forde
    McCarthy, Whelan, Gibson
    McClean Long
    Keane
    Prefer team 1. Steve Bruce says there's a good chance Robbie Brady is going to be fit. If so, McClean off & Brady on.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Robbie Keane wearing a sexy man-bag:
    http://www.independent.ie/style/cele...-31084368.html
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Robbie Keane wearing a sexy man-bag:
    http://www.independent.ie/style/cele...-31084368.html
    Hand luggage doesn't count, every man gets a pass when it comes to hand luggage.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast