Thread: Derry fan banned for taking flare to Belfast match

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Derry fan banned for taking flare to Belfast match

Derry fan banned for taking flare to Belfast match

The fan brought a flare into the cup final at the Oval in Belfast
    A Derry City FC fan who took a flare into a cup final in Belfast has been banned from football matches in Northern Ireland for five years.

William Thomas Joseph Diver, 36, of Inveroe Gardens, Londonderry, was also given a suspended five month jail term.

He was convicted of possessing fireworks at the Oval Stadium in east Belfast on 12 May.

Diver was at the ground for the Setanta Cup final between Derry City and Crusaders.

The offence he was charged with under the Justice Act (Northern Ireland) 2011 related to having a thermobaric canister at a regulated football match.

Belfast Magistrates Court heard that he was searched and arrested at the ground before the device could be let off.

His lawyer said Diver had brought it with him to create "an atmosphere" at the match.

There was "never any intention" to try to cause injuries, he said.

The court was told Diver did not get to see the final, which Crusaders won after a penalty shoot-out.

District Judge Rosie Watters suspended the five month jail term for two years.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20084993

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    That's harsh imo.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    The court was told Diver did not get to see the final,
    Lucky bugger!

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    That's harsh imo.
    Very harsh, given the context. Its a football match, i'm sure the IFA have had flares in the marketing (about 5-6 years ago, back of the stand at a home international match, am i right?) .... way over the top in my opinion. Is he banned from Derry City games now as well?

District Judge Rosie Watters .... What is she like normally?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Is he banned from Derry City games now as well?
    You'd have to assume so, since Derry is in Northern Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    You'd have to assume so, since Derry is in Northern Ireland!
    But are Derry City officials going to uphold that? Its mad cap stuff in my opinion.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    But are Derry City officials going to uphold that? Its mad cap stuff in my opinion.
    That's up to the PSNI not Derry City.

The consequences for the individual are pretty serious if he is caught

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I'm surprised no Shams supporters have weighed in about our security policies Apparently the things he was caught with are more extreme than your usual football pyro though, god knows if he was just a genuine fan or someone just looking to create a bit of bother.
    For once maybe someone will call me "sir" without adding "you're making a scene."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horton View Post
    I'm surprised no Shams supporters have weighed in about our security policies Apparently the things he was caught with are more extreme than your usual football pyro though, god knows if he was just a genuine fan or someone just looking to create a bit of bother.
    Like what? That's just police lies. All it could be is a smoke bomb, flare, strobe, or flash bang all fairly common. Ridiculous sentance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    Like what? That's just police lies. All it could be is a smoke bomb, flare, strobe, or flash bang all fairly common. Ridiculous sentance.
    Seems to have been something different from the norm :

where a 36 year old male, was found in possession of two grenade type devices at the Setanta Cup Final at the Oval, East Belfast on 12 May 2012."
    http://www.u.tv/News/Five-year-ban-f...6-8090382a539e

As Horton said :

..... god knows if he was just a genuine fan or someone just looking to create a bit of bother.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Flares have no place at football matches (imo), they're a pointless waste of time, better to put the extra money spent into a bucket for youth football. Total self-serving nonsense and creates more problems than atmosphere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    Seems to have been something different from the norm :

http://www.u.tv/News/Five-year-ban-f...6-8090382a539e
    Smoke grenades then. The police would have made it sound like he was a suicide bomber to get a conviction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    Smoke grenades then. The police would have made it sound like he was a suicide bomber to get a conviction.
    Do people really think if he was found walking around with 2 non-football related "grenade type devices" that all he'd get is a ban from football grounds?

As there's zero PSNi presence in the brandywell, I'd imagine he'll have no bother going to games

Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Flares have no place at football matches (imo), they're a pointless waste of time, better to put the extra money spent into a bucket for youth football. Total self-serving nonsense and creates more problems than atmosphere.
    self serviing nonsense you say? Interesting
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horton View Post
    Anything more extreme is an incendiary device so, and thats a whole other ball game. I mean Bohs fans busting up a bar a few years back was loosely related to a football incident (even though its more of a social problem than anything to do with sport) so if this guy is just getting banned from NI grounds then it cant be much more than a smoke bomb. PSNI way over the top here. Did the Judge see the evidence in court?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I think it was one of these (1:30 onwards in this video):

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Think it depends on the context. Flares used when your team are winning the league/cup are a bit different from when you equalise at home to Bray (sorry to any Bray fans). They can really add to an atmosphere if used right. There's an element of self-policing involved; they should be in the hands of those who know what they're doing, hence older lads organising displays etc.

Things like this clampdown, hand in hand with the conversion from terraces to seating, have dried the atmosphere out Turner's Cross and I'd imagine other grounds around the country.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfc_1928 View Post
    I think it was one of these (1:30 onwards in this video):
    Ahhh where did he get his hands on one of those? If thats what he has then thats a step away from smoke bombs and more towards munitions being honest. If thats what he had then did he get off lightly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I hope they will enforce it. Too many clubs in this League derelict in dealing with their own fans.
    Obviously do not have any more detail than here but doubt the court were to far wrong (and they would have all the facts). Given history any kind of bomb probobly taken seriously in Belfast.

.......although not sure if there is a direct bus fom Derry to Belfast

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Adam, I would normally have agreed wholeheartedly, but in the last 2 months I've been caught in incidents where flares have done more harm than good and just added nothing, however....you're right about the timing. I just don't get the thing of setting off flares, its always been random, annoying and creates problems down on the ground.

I would agree on the conversion from terraces having altered things slightly, I don't agree that it's made things any safer to have seats only, though atmosphere can also be generated by the supporters, stadium operators and alcohol, in moderation of course. I'd always prefer to stand up watching a match, though a good game and crowd is good no matter what.

Dodge, sorry, lost in translation.