Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oscar Traynor Trophy 2012/13

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prawnsandwich2 View Post
    i come to that conclusion from being involved in junilor soccer for a long time,and knowing the opinions of a lot of players regarding the oscar traynor competition.
    the results have also shown,that even though limerick teams have being very successful in FAI and MJC comps. in recent seasons,the same cannot be said for the OT.
    i would say that most players would consider it 4th in list of comps. they would like to win.this attitude is not just in limerick.
    desmond league have no team in it this year,and,the TDSL gave a walk over in it last year.
    i can say for certainty,that at least 20% of the players requested to make themselves available for it will not.
    and that is a conserative estimate
    in fairness given your certainty about that figure you must have been involved at some stage in managing the team so one cannot argue that point given the experience you have of players refusing to play.pity about the desmond league as they won it a few years ago i think.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    i come to that conclusion from being involved in junilor soccer for a long time,and knowing the opinions of a lot of players regarding the oscar traynor competition.
    the results have also shown,that even though limerick teams have being very successful in FAI and MJC comps. in recent seasons,the same cannot be said for the OT.
    i would say that most players would consider it 4th in list of comps. they would like to win.this attitude is not just in limerick.
    desmond league have no team in it this year,and,the TDSL gave a walk over in it last year.
    i can say for certainty,that at least 20% of the players requested to make themselves available for it will not.
    and that is a conserative estimate
    I agree it has been a shambles and i think it probably should be scrapped, fairkop mentioned a few players that would be considered top players but how many of them were watching themselves during matches, top players in Tipperary league play when it suits them, north tipp have no team in the competition, ECWW have not entered the competition, desmond league, ccl league, and Inshowen league is in doubt.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    never was in limerick anyway...viewed as a free weekend by a fair amount of players.
    a weekend that you could go out for a few pints and not worry about sunday morning matches.
    by the way,has anyone been appointed to the limerick position???
    I must have been seeing things watching the TOP players in Limerick the last 2 years all playing on the oscar traynor team.Aidan Ryan and his crew have done a terrific job.All the players have obviously bought into it as they have all made themselves available.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    last post makes no sense at all.the top players will play in the competition..but will watch themselves..?sure if they were that way inclined all they have to do is not play OR refuse to play as PS said.i would not agree its a shambles,all competitions present problems,fairview won an fai some years ago and were helped by a walkover in the last 16,then you have objections etc. is the fai junior cup a shambles?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Yes players will watch them selves when they are playing Oscar trainer , what has the FAI and Fairview getting a walk over got to do with OT.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minesapint View Post
    Yes players will watch them selves when they are playing Oscar trainer , what has the FAI and Fairview getting a walk over got to do with OT.
    its referred to as an ..analogy?you suggested the competition was a shambles and it should be scrapped.the top players in almost all the leagues that enter it play in it and i would assume therefore that those players deem it an honour to represent their league in the Oscar...traynor....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Bird View Post
    I must have been seeing things watching the TOP players in Limerick the last 2 years all playing on the oscar traynor team.Aidan Ryan and his crew have done a terrific job.All the players have obviously bought into it as they have all made themselves available.
    everybody is entitled to hold an opinion.
    i have no gripes with the comp. or the management team.
    wish them all the best and hope they are successful.
    but it will not change my view on it as regards the status of the comp. in the players pecking order.
    it also won't change the fact that a fair amount of players will not make themselves available for selection.
    i know this from either playing or following the game for a long time.
    we will agree to differ

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    but it will not change my view on it as regards the status of the comp. in the players pecking order.
    it also won't change the fact that a fair amount of players will not make themselves available for selection.
    we will agree to differ
    What players didn't make themselves available last year??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    we will agree to differ
    Would like to know the names of those players you know who have turned down the chance to play for their league or the names of others that you have heard about there seems to be a good few from what you say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    We in Dublin always give ita good go as our League will call off games even if only one player is in Panel.Weve 4 players in the panel(3 debutants) so theyr delighted and raring to go.The AUL play a friendly Wed so we were down to play Sheriff YC FRiday but that has been put back to Sunday.It seems we just take it seriously up here although in the past some players playing for Ireland Juniors opted out as it was too many games for them,others have also declined to play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueboy2 View Post
    Would like to know the names of those players you know who have turned down the chance to play for their league or the names of others that you have heard about there seems to be a good few from what you say.
    i would not mention any names...it's their personal choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    i would not mention any names...it's their personal choice.
    If a player declines to play OT for various reasons,is there a rule that that player can be suspended by the league that he is playing in??that can't be right if true can it?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairkop View Post
    its referred to as an ..analogy?you suggested the competition was a shambles and it should be scrapped.the top players in almost all the leagues that enter it play in it and i would assume therefore that those players deem it an honour to represent their league in the Oscar...traynor....
    Fairkop not everyone thinks the way you do last year limerick had one sub at a game and that was paudie hickey a second choice keeper how many players didn't turn up on the night?, it didn't seem to be much of an honour for the Tipperary lads last year when they refused to play in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
    If a player declines to play OT for various reasons,is there a rule that that player can be suspended by the league that he is playing in??that can't be right if true can it?
    there is a rule...but it is never(or can't be) enforced..
    all a fella has to do is say he is carrying a knock.
    maybe if they introduced a knock out and a regionalised element brought in to it,it may improve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    there is a rule...but it is never(or can't be) enforced..
    all a fella has to do is say he is carrying a knock.
    maybe if they introduced a knock out and a regionalised element brought in to it,it may improve.
    Can a fella just retire from playing OT?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Fairkop not everyone thinks the way you do last year limerick had one sub at a game and that was paudie hickey a second choice keeper how many players didn't turn up on the night?, it didn't seem to be much of an honour for the Tipperary lads last year when they refused to play in it.
    last year?think you need to revisit your history books.think you wrong there,last year limerick had big squads for their games,i was at the clare game and they had at least 20 togged.year before went to clare and galway games and had big squads.did not see player you mentioned togged in any of those squads either.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Lads I spoke to players that played for the oscar taynor team and they said it is an honour to play for the Oscar traynor team, but it comes down to who is the manager as well and everyone that plays for the Oscar Traynor team under Aido have nothing but respect for the competition.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairkop View Post
    last year?think you need to revisit your history books.think you wrong there,last year limerick had big squads for their games,i was at the clare game and they had at least 20 togged.year before went to clare and galway games and had big squads.did not see player you mentioned togged in any of those squads either.
    Dont have to revisit the history books i was present when only 12 players were available and paudie hickey was the 12th player. If it was so important for a player why would the tipp lads not play in the competition, why have other counties pulled out.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Dont have to revisit the history books i was present when only 12 players were available and paudie hickey was the 12th player. If it was so important for a player why would the tipp lads not play in the competition, why have other counties pulled out.
    to my knowledge the game you are referring to was an away fixture against the Cork AUL on a wednesday night approx 4 years ago when Martin Reddan and Denis Keehan were at the helm. Since then, under Aidan Ryans watch Limerick OT have always had a full compliment of players.
    i would also like to advise you that no Tipperary player refused to play against the AUL last year. The decision not to play the game was made by the league in conjunction with the management. I think it is very unfair to blame players when one is not aware of the full facts.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Minesapint was born in a leap year so it was last year to him

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast