Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Bosnia and Herzegovina - Saturday, 26th May 2012 - Friendly

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    In the first half I disagree. Keane did well to get on some long balls (and linked quite well with others) but I thought Duff wasn't great in the first 20-30 minutes - he gave the ball away handy a couple of times and didn't really trouble the Bosnians too much, not until he linked up with Doyle for that chance and also cut inside neatly and shot wide. But it took him a while to get going.

Duff improved as the half goes on and - of course - is a class act. But...

McClean created a bit of havoc every time he got in the first 45, whether forcing Begovic into his only save of the half, teeing up Gibson, or slinging crosses into the box after beating his man. If we're going to compare, I thought McClean was the round's clear winner.

When we were under pressure, sans possession, in the first 20-25 mins, McClean was by a distance our most effective out-ball (mostly with balls to feet as well).

Still think Duff/McGeady are the starters btw.
    I think you're wearing candystripe-tinted spectacles

I'd measure effectiveness in attack in terms of chances created, and it was Duff and Keane's link-up that really troubled the Bosnians in the first half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think you're wearing candystripe-tinted spectacles
    Knew I'd get accused of that. Pretty lazy given the lengths I went to explain myself.

My only concession to bias will be I was sitting on the McClean's wing on the first half so had a pretty good view of what he was at.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'd measure effectiveness in attack in terms of chances created, and it was Duff and Keane's link-up that really troubled the Bosnians in the first half.
    McClean created a couple of chances, forced Begovic into a save and did it for 45 - effective no?

Moreover he didn't give the ball away handy like Duff did a couple of times. Consistent.
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 28/05/2012 at 2:25 PM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    was sitting in the east stand upper just above where mcclean was operating in the first half. was very impressed with his eagerness to get on the ball, take on players (outside and inside) and beat them, his tracking back and his distribution.

he wont start against croatia but having him to spring from the bench is a great addition to our squad

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Knew I'd get accused of that. Pretty lazy given the lengths I went to explain myself.

My only concession to bias will be I was sitting on the McClean's wing on the first half so had a pretty good view of what he was at.

McClean created a couple of chances, forced Begovic into a save and did it for 45 - effective no?

Moreover he didn't give the ball away handy like Duff did a couple of times. Consistent.
    Fair enough. I'm not saying he was ineffective, just that Duff was more so, and he brought the strikers in the play with his link-up work and intelligent runs. In any case, it's great to see 3 of our 4 wingers in fine form ahead of the Euros and Hunt obviously hurting to get on the pitch and show what he can do.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    McClean's first start for us, he can only get better. We might look a team where a player like McClean can come in a hit the ground running but not so, it will take a few games for him to settle in.
    I was impressed with his effort more than anything, right to the end of the game.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    McClean's first start for us, he can only get better.
    Remember when we thought the same thing about McShane?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Remember when we thought the same thing about McShane?
    Did we really though? McShane was SO good against Czech (except for Koller's goal) I don't think anyone could possibly think he could play even better. I don't think he'd done much at club level too at the time, unlike McShane, who has been lauded by just about every EPL observer for his displays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Did we really though? McShane was SO good against Czech (except for Koller's goal) I don't think anyone could possibly think he could play even better. I don't think he'd done much at club level too at the time, unlike McShane, who has been lauded by just about every EPL observer for his displays.
    McShane had won player of the year on loan at Brighton before making his senior debut, and was highly rated at United at the time. I read an article that said he was better than John O'Shea at the same age
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I might get shot for saying this but i think if McShane had been left to develop as a CB he'd be in the Richard Dunne mold at this stage. He was never a RB and it has murdered his career and reputation playing in that position

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post

Yeah we did , the hype around McShane at the time was very big. I remember alot of ppl thinking we had another Kevin Moran on our hands.
    His performance against the Czechs was immense and for what its worth I dont entirely blame him for Kollers equalizer either, always felt O`shea should have taken his share of the blame for not tracking back into his position before the czech goal.

Add in Mcshanes alleged outburst in the dressing room at half time where he was meant to have given the team a dressing down for been happy to be 0-0 at half time and that they shud be beating them. Also remember him putting in an excellent shift against the slovaks in the 1-0 win in croke park the following year.

Interesting scout article on mcshane by the guardian paper published in 2007 below - read some of the comments and even more so take a look at the ratings the journalist gives him

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...sstory.sport16
    Last edited by back of the net; 29/05/2012 at 6:56 AM.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    I might get shot for saying this but i think if McShane had been left to develop as a CB he'd be in the Richard Dunne mold at this stage. He was never a RB and it has murdered his career and reputation playing in that position
    Funny, I was listening to RTE radio coverage of the match and Eoin Hand who was co-commentating said exactly the opposite. He said words to the effect....he never felt McShane was comfortable at CB, didnt read the game that well there but was better suited to RB, gives him the opportunity to maraud up the flanks.

I kid you not.
    Last edited by Junior; 29/05/2012 at 9:40 AM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    McShane's best asset at right back is probably his ability on the ball and willingness to overlap and, despite his general lack of pace, he does cover the ground well. But his reading of the game and positioning at full back are not good enough. I think as a centre half, though, he reads the game well and does have a lot of Dunne's qualities, though not the same talent. I can actually see him playing a lot more games there in the coming years if he sorts himself out with a decent club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    489 Posts
    The most important part of that Guardian article is the bit at the top that says "Steve Claridge". It is amazing that someone can play over 1000 league games and still know almost nothing about the game.

I'd lean more towards Eoin Hands view that he's more of a right back, but for a different reason. At 5ft 11 I just don't think he has the stature to play centre half. It's maybe an old fashioned view but that's the way I see it. I've said this on here and people have said that Cannavaro & Puyol are the same height, but McShane is no Cannavaro and his bread and butter is playing in the English league.

A move to the mainland could maybe suit him. Someone of his height playing centre back would be lot more practical in one of the Mediterranean leagues.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    He's not comfortable enough on the ball for right back imo. Fair play for having the willingness to take it on but his touch is poor, passing is suspect and he can't cross.

Those limitations are not necessarily a problem in Trap's team since FB's are primarily for defence, but prefer him at CB personally where his bravery and energy can be effective, and someone like Dunne can guide him through.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ok then Defence, he is like a Gaelic player going out on a soccer pitch, headless chicken, he uses his arms too much - something I see a lot from gaelic players who then try to play football - like coleman and pushes people out of the way and just general awkwardness, no nimble feet either. I fear the inevitability of giving away a penalty very soon. Lets just hope its not in the Euros.

His greatest attribute(s) is his determination, commitment and drive, unfortunately that is not enough at this level.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    Yeah we did , the hype around McShane at the time was very big. I remember alot of ppl thinking we had another Kevin Moran on our hands.
    His performance against the Czechs was immense and for what its worth I dont entirely blame him for Kollers equalizer either, always felt O`shea should have taken his share of the blame for not tracking back into his position before the czech goal.
    I was one of the Kevin Moran comparers. I think he was hardly culpable at all for Koller's goal. O'Shea was asleep and Henderson should have got a hand to it.

He puts the fear of God into me now. I can see him doing a job in a backs-to-the-wall no-nonsense effort, but give him time to think and he makes rash decisions. I thought he did fine against Bosnia though, as he did against Italy in Liege last year. Half of this forum nearly got a boner over Coleman's performance that day but he didn't do all that much for me. He did well enough but no more. I think some players have to do more to impress than others.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Time-lapse video from the Bosnia & Herzegovina game:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bumping thread.

Thanks Thanks Given