Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Summer Soccer is it the Answer

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Summer Soccer is it the Answer

I think the future is summer football. Kildare league are due to meet in Janaury to decide to continue or not with the summer football. Advantanges: (01) Weather conditions are better. (02) The league is continous no stop/start. (03) Evening football (04) Helps when training less expensive (05) Confronts the problem of GAA players/Soccer player (06) Encourages people out to support and many more reasons
    Disadvantages Holidays,Gaa, etc

What do you all think?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwood View Post
    I think the future is summer football. Kildare league are due to meet in Janaury to decide to continue or not with the summer football. Advantanges: (01) Weather conditions are better. (02) The league is continous no stop/start. (03) Evening football (04) Helps when training less expensive (05) Confronts the problem of GAA players/Soccer player (06) Encourages people out to support and many more reasons
    Disadvantages Holidays,Gaa, etc

What do you all think?
    It could be the answer, however, I remember a few years back when I had no games called off for one seson - global warming was blamed haha.
    Who do we blame now?
    I think they run it as a summer season in Mayo already - they would have a better view of it, but I'd be for it.
    It might encourage a few Messis rather than Richard Dunnes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    You haven't put up a very balanced argument here - a paragraph on the advantages, 3 words on the disadvantages.

Not saying I disagree but there are a lot of considerations - I think Summer Soccer could well be the answer but the two points you've put down are fair old humdingers.

Would you expect every Junior soccer player to plan on taking his (family) holiday during a say 2-3 week down time period in the middle of the season?
    GAA - ah yes our old friend GAA - Like it or not there are a lot of clubs in the country will not survive if players are really forced to choose -maybe that is a good thing but if a club has invested heavily in its club (and underage) and if you then loose a large proportion of your playing numbers - where then
    Dry, warm weather - excellent. Dry, hard, grassless pitches - not so good, clubs would have to invest in some sort of watering system as I know how beaten up my body used to feel after the games on rock hard pitches and the start and end of the season when the weather was good - also the time in between the seasons the pitches bare spots won't recover very well as that will be when there is no growth.

Again to repeat I would still be siding serious consideration of the Summer Soccer option - but I think there are some valid disadvantages that need to be considered.

One other small point though - one of the reasons this is coming up now is of course the weather, the other is the lack of decision - when weather like this rolls in the call to abandon a full weekends fixtures should be made sooner rather than later - look at it in the same was as the premiership over the last week - who cares if the pitch is playable - if the police/authorities are pretty much begging people to not make unnecessary journeys then surely you should cancel games rather than have teams travelling...
    ”That should be NO problem for the defence – OH NOOOO!!”
    George Hamilton...
    http://www.innishvilla.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    If tipp are playin the munster final and theres a tsdl match on, im gonna be gone to the hurling. Tis fine as it is, maybe a winter break is set up instead of finding out games are called off the morning of the match.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shilts View Post
    It could be the answer, however, I remember a few years back when I had no games called off for one seson - global warming was blamed haha.
    Who do we blame now?
    I think they run it as a summer season in Mayo already - they would have a better view of it, but I'd be for it.
    It might encourage a few Messis rather than Richard Dunnes
    I think summer soccer is running in Mayo for about 15 years now and we would not go back to winter football. There is a good article on summer soccer on the website and this might give you an idea about it. www.mayoleague.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot Kick View Post
    I think summer soccer is running in Mayo for about 15 years now and we would not go back to winter football. There is a good article on summer soccer on the website and this might give you an idea about it. www.mayoleague.com
    One of the great things that has come out of Summer soccer is the development of facilities by majority of clubs not only pitches with very good surfaces and club-houses. A no of clubs now has Astro Turf pitch for playing and training during the winter months. Finaly would like to wish everyone one a merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Round Tower View Post
    One of the great things that has come out of Summer soccer is the development of facilities by majority of clubs not only pitches with very good surfaces and club-houses. A no of clubs now has Astro Turf pitch for playing and training during the winter months. Finaly would like to wish everyone one a merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
    Why or how has Summer Soccer led to this?

I would be more inclined to guess the "Celtic Tiger" led to most of these developments as clubs has members with more money they could donate to fundraising projects - I know it is a lot harder to sell tickets this year and it is only going to get worse...
    ”That should be NO problem for the defence – OH NOOOO!!”
    George Hamilton...
    http://www.innishvilla.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Summer soccer is the only way. Come see how it runs in Mayo when the rest of the leagues finally get finished all the 8 weeks of called off games
    We have been told that our winters will get colder so why do other leagues still sit on the fence is beyond me. Anyhow if players,clubs and leagues are happy to put up with the cancellations like this year in year out best of luck!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Personally I would like Summer soccer. One big disadvantage in Kildare is players play in different leagues. South Kildare players can play Carlow or CCFL in North Kildare players play in Dublin or Meath league. Players being players will choose the team which is going best. The Mayo League would be best to comment on Summer soccer and what clubs do to compete with GAA clubs for the players. The first year in the Kildare League the standard was poor but this year the standard has improved greatly. Teams in towns will have no problem in getting all soccer players but country teams do struggle to get players. But as a club you see the loyal players and when you look after the loyal players they all train together so therefore they will improve as a team. I do know all players and managers and leagues all want to do there best, but in our situation we got one night soccer training and one night GAA training but it is a constant battle but 2011 season our club have decided just players who put soccer first. At least what we have is what we have so work hard at training and try to get to the top Div.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There is no such thing as a perfect world, like it or love it summer football as more advantages than Winter football, would depend what you want from the game, is it to play weekly without postponements or do you want to continue battle with the opposition as to weather the game goes ahead.
    In Mayo they can run entire fixture without losing a game, We have started playing external Winter competitions we can't even get them played due to weather.The Gaa question can be a winter one as well as a summer one from the point of view players who decide to play with county teams are under pressure not to play soccer.the only close months in Gaa are Nov /Dec
    From where we are at the moment we didn't get two many games played in that time.any duel player if there Gaa matches on more often would play Gaa.
    Any football club would rather built a team on those who are committed rather than that elusive player who will turn up if there no Gaa game, more often the same player does'nt even train, not that you would properly get to many sessions due to weather.
    Summer football has one big factor over winter, more players at all ages play summer football just look at the mayo not only would they have a junior or school boys /girls, but would have more teams competing at every level,
    Yes they may be a Gaa thing, sooner or later it all balances out, at the end of the day young players will want to play as many sports as possable.
    From a club point of view Clubs who play Summer football are better off because they have more members, more members mean more funds to bring the club forward,
    As for Summer football Mayo clubs are much better off, with or without the Celtic tiger.Mayo was on the move before the first celtic club was even born.
    The legacy of Summer football gives everyone the right to enjoy the game rather than to struggle with the elements of winter, which brings its own hardship.
    Finally you can judge for your self, but the game is trully live were Summer football is played.