Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eircom end sponsorship of national team...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Eircom end sponsorship of national team...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/eir...#ixzz0vdTfHayx

Good news. Does this mean we can now buy jerseys without the sponsor? Will Aviva be new shirt sponsors? Or knowing Delaney, he'll probably bring in Air France.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    So my new shirt is out of date already?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Given that Dutch fans wearing apparel sporting the logo of a non-official sponsor (Bavaria Lager?) got ejected from a stadium at the World Cup for breaking the strict ambush marketing prevention rules, I wonder would Irish fans run the same risk if they wore their eircom jerseys, or jerseys with a new sponsor's logo, to a FIFA or UEFA event.

I heard 3 Mobile were in the running.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    An excellent opportunity for the FAI to have contracts redrafted which facilitate the sale of sponsorless replica shirts (I'd pay extra for one) and an outright ban on them appearing on kids and junior jerseys. will they? They will in their hole.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Given that Dutch fans wearing apparel sporting the logo of a non-official sponsor (Bavaria Lager?) got ejected from a stadium at the World Cup for breaking the strict ambush marketing prevention rules, I wonder would Irish fans run the same risk if they wore their eircom jerseys, or jerseys with a new sponsor's logo, to a FIFA or UEFA event.

I heard 3 Mobile were in the running.
    If 3 mobile do get it then I urge supporters to NEVER EVER take out a contract with this company. No matter what they offer Irish supporters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    An excellent opportunity for the FAI to have contracts redrafted which facilitate the sale of sponsorless replica shirts (I'd pay extra for one) and an outright ban on them appearing on kids and junior jerseys. will they? They will in their hole.
    like this is such an important issue and all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    I've never bought an Ireland jersey for that reason. I'm far from alone - threads here on the topic have brought out some fairly rabid opposition to the giant Eircom stain on the jersey.

9. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    So do people think that there should be no sponsor ? Amazing!! Is there any other country or club jersey in Europe that doesn't show a sponsor. I know Wednesday advertised a children's hospital for no cost but I think that was because no one wanted to sponsor them!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    International matches never carry shirt sponsors, as far as I can see. Don't know why.

And nobody's said there shouldn't be a sponsor. Just that they'd prefer the jersey without a big orange blob.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    We are the only country Ive ever seen that has a shirt sponsor

Seen a brief interview with Delaney on the news earlier where he said that the is gonna be a very big announcement tomorrow that will allow for big investment in grass roots football. He was tryin to be secretive but after seeing this thread its obviously gonna be a new shirt sponsor announcement.

What Stutts said about the Bavaria thing at the world cup is a very valid point, one I doubt anyone in the FAI has considered
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    It is an important issue. It's to take a principled stand against the whoring out of football to corporations and multinationals more interested in profiteering from the game and its fans than the game itself. As it is, we're one of the few, if not the only, countries in world football who feature an ugly corporate blob across the front of our replica jerseys. In supporting our team we are (or were) being used as advertising mascots to promote Eircom. The idea of acting as a human advertising post for Eircom sickens me. I once suffered working for them when I lived in Dublin - feeling more sympathy for most customers' issues I encountered than possessing any wish to defend the company's policies - and have also had the misfortune of having to deal with them as a customer myself. Furthermore, with Eircom pulling out now, a few months after the newest jersey featuring an Eircom logo has been released and purchased by fans up and down the country, fans have a right to feel ripped off. That jersey is now out of date but Eircom still benefit as there will undoubtedly be plenty of fans who will continue wearing it as they just don't have the money to go replacing their jersey. The Eircom one was already expensive enough! Certainly, demanding replica jerseys without this feature isn't going to rock the world of football as business to its core, but it has to count for something.

In the meantime, I wonder will stores still sell jerseys brandishing the Eircom logo or will a set of logo-less jerseys be released until some new sponsor comes in and its logo inevitably takes the place of Eircom's on our national jersey.
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 04/08/2010 at 5:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    So do people think that there should be no sponsor ? Amazing!!!
    I don't have a problem with there being an official team sponsor. I have a problem with supporters being coralled and shoehorned into a jersey with an ad on it. When England, with a larger support base than us, were sponsored by Green Flag and whoever more recently -their supporters only had to put up with logos on training gear, rainwear etc ...not on the replica jerseys themselves. When NI, with a smaller support base than us, were sponsored by Nationwide (think that deals just expired) their support were able to buy replica shirts with no logo. We're the odd one out here.

Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Is there any other country or club jersey in Europe that doesn't show a sponsor!
    There's probably still about 50 countries in Europe. Again we're the odd one out here. Unless someone has made a deal similar to ours in recent years -then our glorious FAI are still the only UEFA country that will not allow it's teams supporters buy ad free replica jerseys. It's different for clubs -they've wages, transfer fees and recieve relatively little by way of state support.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    My above post isn't an argument against sponsorship, by the way. Sponsorship is a reality - maybe an ugly one for some, I dunno - in modern football that we have to accept, but we still remain one of the only countries worldwide whose fans are being used to promote a corporate identity by purchasing our team's replica jerseys.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I've never bought an Ireland jersey for that reason. I'm far from alone - threads here on the topic have brought out some fairly rabid opposition to the giant Eircom stain on the jersey.
    I don't understand why Eircom never changed their logo to something easier on the eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    I don't understand why Eircom never changed their logo to something easier on the eye.
    That's to miss the point. Nothing to do with aesthetics. Although it is still pretty ugly, in fairness.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think it makes good business sense for the FAI. I don't really care about whether I'm pimping a corporation or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    If the jersey looks uglier, and as a result there is more money to pump into facilities and developing grass roots football, I'm fine with that.

The FAI doesn't have the same resources as other nations and I think anything that can bring in more funds is a practical move.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Those that are ambivalent about having a sponsor on "replica" jerseys are missing the point. We're the only country I've seen whose supporters cannot buy the same jersey that the players representing the National team wear. It's that simple.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Those that are ambivalent about having a sponsor on "replica" jerseys are missing the point. We're the only country I've seen whose supporters cannot buy the same jersey that the players representing the National team wear. It's that simple.
    such shirts were recently available in the FAI shop.
    maybe other countries are missing out on potential sponsorship that we are cashing in on?
    we are a small football nation with big demands from our supporters with regards qualification etc. have to fund this demand some way.
    would rather not have the sponsorship on the shirt but if the money we get increases our chances of qualification by even 1% its worth it

22. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    IS that not being a bit precious? Never bothered me and I've been buy jerseys for years. That said, my favourite is my retro jersey
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast