Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What an off season - now the actual season

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with the first post it'll be tight league with the exception IMO of top spot and bottom spot.
    1. Bohes
    10. Bray
    2 - 9 The rest

Don't really think SF will have a hugh impact and It'll be interesting to see if Shamrock Rovers (Twigg) can reproduce last seasons form (although if I was to bet on second place it would be them). I Think Sligo will be the most improved position wise.
    One thing though after all the bull of the off season thank god competitive football is back tonight (for us anyway).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Bohs will surge into the lead before realising that a football club can't be build on dreams alone when it turns out that they've already sold their midfield to four different clubs and a property developer who wants to build a shopping centre on Anto Murphy. Shams will chase them all the way like a needy ex-girlfriend who doesn't believe it's over, crying bitter little tears when no one notices or appreciates all the effort that went into their new stadium. UCD B, by which I mean Fingal, will win the league after a tactical nuclear strike during a Bohs-Rovers game results in 16 points deductions for both clubs, Ronan Finn and Conan Byrne combining to make football of such pure beauty that it makes Paul Doolin weep as he realises that he's wasted his life building teams which kick teams until they're too bruised to chase the long balls to his lone striker any more. Dundalk will settle for finishing ahead of Drogheda, who will finish the season playing their home games in a debtor's prison. Pats will miss out on Europe in spite of a three point and 30 goal lead going into the last day when their opponents realise that the way to beat Conor Kenna is to play the ball on the ground in spite of him being three foot two. They'll bitterly ruing the fact that Paul Byrne wasn't able to add to the ninteen goals he scored in the cumulative total of sixteen minutes and twenty two seconds he was fit over the season. Galway will finish last, but win an MTV award for the music video of their season set to Rogue Trader's The Price We Pay. Bray will get relegated after losing their playoff to a resurgent Monaghan, but are saved when Sligo go to the wall after it turns out they haven't paid any tax since the foundation of the state. Finally, the SCP will be evaluated, and the Premier title awarded to Athlone.

lov it
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Chambers, Dennehy, Turner and Murray scored around 30 goals last season between them.

bhs
    Turner is not a shams player (yet anyway) although is prolific from midfield. Chambers good on set pieces to be fair but I still think they are very (overly ?) dependent on twigg for goals. A case of second season syndrome for him could hit any possible challenge. Cant see them go 22 games unbeaten either, although that is not required to win the League.

Anybody see (in reality not wishfull thinking) a winner outside Bohs/shams ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Anybody see (in reality not wishfull thinking) a winner outside Bohs/shams ?
    Can't see anyone else making the top two tbh.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Finglas might get ahead of Rovers. I can't stress how important Twisgg is to them If he's injured they'll struggle IMO

can't see anyone getting near Bohs.

Hope I'm wrong
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    they won't scare any team
    I think this can be said about any clubs aside from Bohs and Rovers. Dundalk and Pat's signings, for example, haven't exactly gotten me overly worried about going to Oriel or Richmond. I reckon it'll be a very open league with those two streets ahead. Fingal haven't impressed in pre-season so far (for what that's worth). Still reckon the mercenaries IX (plus Conan and Finn ) will start to perform once it really matters and sneak third. Bray could surprise some people (well...they can only surprise people going on this) - their youth structure is very good, and that helped us come from nowhere to win the First last year.

Based on the In and Out thread and pre-season friendlies, I'll go with -

1 Bohs
    2 Rovers (agree with Dodge on Twigg, but even without him, they should still be too good for third)
    3 Feckall
    4 Sligo
    5 Dundalk
    6 Pat's
    7 UCD
    8 Drogheda
    9 Bray
    10 Galway

The First looks really competitive this year actually. Derry and Waterford should be up there, Cork'll start slowly and gain pace, particularly after the transfer window, Monaghan are dark horses, Harps have McHugh and Shels will be up there. Even Athlone and Longford have strengthened, it seems. Let's randomly predict -

1 Derry
    2 Waterford
    3 Monaghan
    4 Shels
    5 Harps
    6 Longford
    7 Cork
    8 Athlone
    9 Limerick
    10 Wexford
    11 Salthill
    12 Mervue

Maybe a bit harsh on Limerick there, and the two Galway sides are much of a muchness.

All that is pending the obvious implosion and asterisk possibilities, of course.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    I'd agree Bohs look very strong again but overall Rovers have made more significant improvements to the squad. Logically that should see Rovers close the gap but I'd tend to agree that Bohs still have an edge. I think Rover's will play 4-5-1/4-3-3 a good bit this season unless they can find another high class forward to play alongside Twigg. If Turner gets signed I could see them lining up with:
    Mannus
    Sullivan Sives Murray Murphy
    Rice
    Chambers Turner
    Kavanagh Dennehy
    Twigg

I can't see anyone getting close to those two, Twigg will probably still get 15 goals this season but won't go close to last season's total. Bohs will concede a few more without Brian Murphy but should still be ahead at the end.

Fingal will be fighting it out for Europe with Dundalk and Sligo, Pat's might challenge this group Drogheda will be just behind fighting it out with Galway and UCD while Bray struggle along at the back of the field.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The First looks really competitive this year actually. Derry and Waterford should be up there, Cork'll start slowly and gain pace, particularly after the transfer window, Monaghan are dark horses, Harps have McHugh and Shels will be up there. Even Athlone and Longford have strengthened, it seems. Let's randomly predict -

1 Derry
    2 Waterford
    3 Monaghan
    4 Shels
    5 Harps
    6 Longford
    7 Cork
    8 Athlone
    9 Limerick
    10 Wexford
    11 Salthill
    12 Mervue

Maybe a bit harsh on Limerick there, and the two Galway sides are much of a muchness.

All that is pending the obvious implosion and asterisk possibilities, of course.
    Can't argue there really.
    We are looking really good in pre-season, our first choice side will be as good as anyone in the Division, we are well covered in almost every position except centre half and goalkeeper, there-in is where we will struggle, especially with our keeper on International duty alot.
    Packie Mailey is one of the best young centre halves in the league, this is a big season for him after coming in half way through last season.
    Johnny Lafferty in centre mid is going to be the find of the season, he was playing inter-county GAA for Tyrone up until now. Cracking on the ball and will link up with our forwards (something we didn't have last season), he was at Aston Villa when younger but told he was too small at the time, he is now 6'2".
    McHugh is a big name signing but our main asset up front will be Stephen "Cristiano" McLaughlin.

Can't wait to see how we fair out in competitive games now, it's very hard to get an accurate judgement on a side in pre-season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I predict a record amount of * in the league tables

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    From what i have seen in pre season, nobody will get close to Bohs, they were very good against us. Now in saying that it was a tight enough game until the last 20 when we made a load of changes and the game fell apart, but by jebus were the clinical in front of goal. We did manage 3 in reply though and any striker with pace will trouble them.

We have absolutely nothing to lose this year, its a blessing we are in the Premier and the squad Gormley has put together is a squad for the 1st division. I'd say the average age must be 20/21. Now we will bring in a few experienced heads but it wont be too many.

We have one of the best youth set ups in the country and have some excellent players coming through. One in particular has stood head and shoulders above the rest in pre season. Young Shane O'Neill has been flying and scored 4 in 4, defo one to watch.

I don't think it will matter who finishes last because i think the FAI will yet again make changes to the structure of the League next season. I just can't wait for it all to begin again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Premier.

Bohs....but I foresee a * for them.

Shams will be a close 2nd

Dundalk

Sligo

Fingal

Pats

Galway

Ucd

Drogs

Bray.

The first looks really good with three of the top five traditional clubs there.

Derry

Shels

Waterford

Monaghan

Harps

Cork

the rest

The two galway teams at the bottom.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Top spot is Bohs. Bottom 4 is between Bray, Galway, Drogs and UCD. Then us, Fingal, Shams, Dundalk and Pat's fight out for the rest, with Dundalk and Pat's looking weakest out of that group imo.

Certainly looks a more competitive Premier division this season with Cork and Derry gone.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    I'm really not sure where people are pulling any predictions for Cork City FORAS Co-Op out of (be it a first or last place finish). Not a single player confirmed :S

Anyway I'll go for a fight between Derry and Waterford for the First Division title, hopefully with Limerick SOMEWHERE in the top half :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Premier Division
    1. Bohs
    2. Shams
    3. Fingal
    4. Sligo
    5. Pats
    6. Dundalk
    7. UCD
    8. Galway
    9. Drogs
    10. Bray
    ------------------------------------------
    Think Bohs should have enough again this year but Rovers will run them close. After that I can see a bit of a gap to Fingal. They have a good team already but its whether the players will look interested. If they have the same attitude to last season then they will be mid-table but I reckon the players will look more interested in the premier. Not really sure about 7-9. I was very impressed with UCD last season. I know they have lost Finn but I reckon they have enough to finish out of the play off places. Poor Bray will be cut adrift I reckon.

First Division
    1. Waterford
    2. Derry
    3. Shels
    4. Harps
    5. Mons
    6. Limerick
    7. Longford
    8. CCFCFC
    9. Athlone
    10. Wexford
    11. Salthill
    12. Mervue
    -------------------------------------------
    Waterford have assembled a very strong squad and they have a good manager in Henderson. I think this is their year. I think most people expect Derry to win it but the first division is a very tough place to get out of as the likes of ourselves and Dundalk know. I think we can nick a play-off place but thats as far as it will go I reckon. This year will jus be about finding their feet for the latest cork team so I think mid-table based on the fact they have so little time to assemble a squad. Its just a case of which one of the galway teams it is that finishes bottom for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Premier Division
    Should be mainly another battle between Bohs and Shamrock Rovers for the title, Sporting Fingal might run them close though .

1.Bohemians
    2.Shamrock Rovers
    3. Sporting Fingal
    4. Dundalk
    5. Sligo
    6. St Pats
    7. Drogheda United
    8 . Galway
    9. UCD
    10.Bray

1st Division
    Should be a close race for promotion. 4 or 5 teams here that have a decent chance of promotion.

1.Waterford
    2. Derry City
    3.Shelbourne
    4. Finn Harps
    5. Monaghan
    6.Cork City FORAS Co-Op
    7. Limerick
    8. Wexford
    9.Athlone
    10. Longford
    11.Mervue
    12.Salthill .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Feels like the longest off season ever. Can't wait for this season to kick off. Have a feeling something special could happen for us, but I've thought this most seasons and have always been wrong so

Shams and Bohs will slug it out at the top and I can't see anybody really challengeing them tbh. After that I really dont know. You have ourselves, Fingal, Pats, Dundalk all with similiar squads, strength wise, and these positions could go anyway. Should be fairly tight here, although I have a feeling Fingal might flop a bit. That leaves Galway, UCD, Drogs and Bray. Gonna guess at Galway to finish bottom, followed by Drogs, Bray then UCD. Altough, I really don't know a lot about any of these squads.

1- Bohemians
    2- Shamrock Rovers
    3- Sligo Rovers
    4- St Pats
    5- Fingal
    6- Dundalk
    7- UCD
    8- Bray
    9- Drogs
    10- UCD

On to the First division which will be really exciting next season IMO. I honestly can see Waterford winning it and tbh, I hope they do. Harps and Monaghan could be real dark horses next season and then not forgetting Derry and Shels who will be up there. Don't know a lot about the rest really.

1- Waterford
    2- Derry
    3- Shels
    4- Finn Harps
    5- Monaghan
    6- Limerick
    7- Longford
    8- Wexford Youths
    9- Athlone
    10- Cork City Foras Co-op
    11- Mervue
    12- Salthill

Cannot ****ing wait for this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Could people stop predicting us to win , makes me feel uncomfortable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    We Don't 100% know about fingal,sure they won the cup but the big teams (bohs,Rovers,Derry) where not in there.
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    We Don't 100% know about fingal,sure they won the cup but the big teams (bohs,Rovers,Derry) where not in there.
    I think you'll find all those teams were in there...they just got knocked out by the finalists along the way.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    Fingal knocked Rovers out and I think Sligo knocked out the other two so you can't say the cup win was a fluke of the draw.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast