Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Times says club to be wound up Monday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Irish Times says club to be wound up Monday

Emmett Malone in the Times says the club is to be wound up on Monday as a result of the failure to secure a friendly fixture. I don't honestly know where this has come from. Obviously he has his sources.

What worries me more is that I have learned from a very reliable source that has been involved with the club on and off for nearly 30 years that the club haven't even made approaches to Thomond Park or anywhere else for the use of the ground for an Ipswich/Sunderland/Middlesboro friendly. Thats worrying if it is the case and I have no reason to doubt what I have been told, nor do I spread gossip on this forum. Not a nice way to treat genuine supporters, or attract new ones.

He also informed me that the Markets Field project is totally dead in the water and is what led to the resignation of influential people within the club.

I believe some clarification is needed from the club on this.
    Last edited by joeSoap; 12/06/2009 at 8:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I can only find one article online about Real going to Tallaght by Emmet Malone where there is no mention of this at all.

Can you put forward a link or quote from the piece please?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Yeah, the online version of the article makes no reference to the club being wound up. Is there something in the print copy or is it just some kind of bizarre Chinese whisper?
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    I think Emmet Malone is a good reporter, and the Irish Times is the only newspaper that isn't a pile of crap, but I have no idea where this report is coming from. It isn't on the paper's website (as far as I could see).

I've never heard anything about a friendly with Real Madrid, and doubt the club would have been banking on it. But some of the other points JoeSoap mentions above, if true, are pretty worrying.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    yeah, got a message from a friend about this but can't find the article

Malone does say this however:

"THE club’s financial situation is so perilous that this could be Limerick’s last cup game and the long list of players unavailable due to injuries or suspension is probably not uppermost in manager Pat Scully’s mind."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Its in the print edition

best of luck to the club...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    the club is to be wound up on Monday as a result of the failure to secure a friendly fixture.

[T]he Markets Field project is totally dead in the water and is what led to the resignation of influential people within the club.
    Those two sound kind of like someone spitting out a dummy in a huff? Has there been a Revenue petition to wind the club up or anything? Very strange to just turn around and wind it up like that. Best of luck anyways; rather sudden.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Article in paper says club are losing 2500 per week. Along with Real, Celtic and Villa had also been mentioned for a firendly, for Thomond I presume.

Even if the club were losing 2500 per week at the moment, surely with the window opening in two weeks it might be possible to reduce costs? Unless of course incomes are so dismal. What ever happened that rich american geezer?,

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    that the club haven't even made approaches to Thomond Park or anywhere else for the use of the ground for an Ipswich/Sunderland/Middlesboro friendly.
    Now that I think about it, I had heard that the big friendlies involving Limerick at Thomond Park were being organised by other group (s), not by Limerick themselves. While this means Limerick would be getting less money than if they had organised it themselves, it would explain why nobody from the club has been in contact with Thomond Park. I'm not sure about any of it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    resignation of influential people within the club.
    Like who?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I believe nothing I read and half of what I see.

Aside from the remarkably specific (and somewhat arbitrary) date of 'Monday' for the supposed wind-up, it sounds like a bit of a join-the-dots story.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Can somebody explain who is going to wind us up, is it revenue or who. What amazes me in all this is that the owner of the club has not been seen or heard of in a long time, is he gone or what, and if so why does he not say the club is open to offers from anyone willing to take it over. There isn't a season that goes by where we don't make the headlines for being in trouble but for some reason this time it seems to be very final. Lads try and get as many of yer mates and family up this evening, it might be too late but Limerick is far too big not to have a national league team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Im goin to limerick home matches on a regular basis for the last 8 or 9 years with same group of friends and to say we are disillusioned with whats happening now is an understatement. different owners/management/players/ but same old story for fans. deserve better.We will obviously keep supporting no matter what but this is the main reason why there aint much interest in supporting Limerick locally. (support is very poor given the population in Limerick and interest in soccer generally)From talking to a few of my other mates who dont bother with limerick, their opinion is that they know that trouble is only around the corner and feel why should they spend theyre hard earned money on the club.

The suggestion is that this report is from a credible source.
    Think the least the club can do is release a statement of the reality of the situation and at let fans know whats goin on.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balanced view View Post
    Think the least the club can do is release a statement of the reality of the situation and at let fans know whats goin on.
    Correct. There seems to be a severe lack of official information coming out of the club about this story and about the proposed friendlies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [quote=London-Irish;1176802]Correct. There seems to be a severe lack of official information coming out of the club about this story and about the proposed friendlies.[/quW
    Just looked at the companies registration office records,seems that jack mac actually does not own the club in total,anyone able to elaborate on this?Actually very surprised by this,as all statements etc from club refer to him as the owner,there is a list of people on cro records as holding some ownership of club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    What this club don't seem to realise is that the fact they're not releasing an official statement, is turning everyone against them. Last thing this city needs is more people not caring about the club. At least tell the Supporters Club, the people who can actually help the club. How do they expect to stay afloat when nobody knows how to help them except themselves?
    Get into them! ( They're easyyyy! )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC-Zulu View Post
    What this club don't seem to realise is that the fact they're not releasing an official statement, is turning everyone against them. Last thing this city needs is more people not caring about the club. At least tell the Supporters Club, the people who can actually help the club. How do they expect to stay afloat when nobody knows how to help them except themselves?
    Agree totally,lack of information will only feed the rumour mill.An honest statement is needed from the club. Never a dull moment with this club.
    "We've had a lot of good times, but you don't know how good they are until you have the bad ones" Tony Adams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LK37oldskool View Post
    Agree totally,lack of information will only feed the rumour mill.An honest statement is needed from the club. Never a dull moment with this club.
    Agree 100%, keeping things hush hush hasn't worked in the past. What the club need to do is act a bit professional and release some sort of an honest, informative and accurate statement about what's happening

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    So, it's Monday. Any news?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    The Irish Times article said Monday week.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast