Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances are they up or Down?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    what the hell? the weather isn't bad here, and especially since the guy who is saying its bad was living in London.
    ah come on, i dont really want to have a go but.......come on...........

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Whether or not this is a 'Question' or an 'Exercise' - it certainly is not pointless. It is fundemental to accessing the League and its success or otherwise. I'd be very interested if anyone had figures comparing attendances for Summer soccer against Winter soccer!

Summer soccer was the great white hope for Irish football but I would agree with most of my fellow Sligo Rovers supporters that it has been a disaster for our club and is a major factor in keeping attendances down at the Showgrounds.

I can see little evidence of it being a significant benefit to our clubs in Europe and it is no addition to improving the quality of pitches as the close season is during the worst months of the year when there is no growth and very little can be done with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    ah come on, i dont really want to have a go but.......come on...........
    So would you like to live in Serbia(for example) where you can't do anything during the day?

Our weather is condusive for doing activities during the day.....18/19/20/21 degrees is perfect for me, and I lived in San Diego for a few years when I was a kid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I would say they are down overall with Galway ,Drogheda and Cork being the expections. you would only be comparing December/January/February to June/July/August

Things to do in D/J/F on a Fri/Sat night
    Drink/Football/Premiership

Things to do in J/J/A
    Drink/Football/County GAA/Club GAA/Underage GAA/Racing/Golf/Cricket/Beach/farming/Holidays/Music festivals etc.

I think pitches and Europe are irrelevent , the standard of both was improving anyway , thanks to Global warming winters are a lot milder than they used to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by londonred View Post
    I.
    I think pitches and Europe are irrelevent , the standard of both was improving anyway , thanks to Global warming winters are a lot milder than they used to be.
    fcuk mio you have not seen the county of monaghan in nov dec jan feb.
    as i said i dont know if crowds are up or down (i suspect they are slighty up) but either way i dont think weather has a major impact on attendances
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by londonred View Post
    I would say they are down overall with Galway ,Drogheda and Cork being the expections. you would only be comparing December/January/February to June/July/August

Things to do in D/J/F on a Fri/Sat night
    Drink/Football/Premiership

Things to do in J/J/A
    Drink/Football/County GAA/Club GAA/Underage GAA/Racing/Golf/Cricket/Beach/farming/Holidays/Music festivals etc.

why anyone would chose a ga game over a real football game is beyond me, thats just an excuse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    So would you like to live in Serbia(for example) where you can't do anything during the day?

Our weather is condusive for doing activities during the day.....18/19/20/21 degrees is perfect for me, and I lived in San Diego for a few years when I was a kid.
    jeez i dont know, now that you mention it..................

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEt2XdN_TbQ

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    part time football is a hobby not a option if u ask me. clubs like bray or ucd or whoever, where are they going really ??
    Question is, where are you going? Back to Division One? Fire-fighting fundraisers every year or so, which will get less and less effective as time goes on?

Try not to answer with "Fair dues to us; at least we tried", a phrase which should result in instant death IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Also, eircom League performances in Europe have improved since the move to summer football so that's one bonus.
    The fact that the teams playing in Europe generally tend to be full time also has a huge impact on this Frank. I take your point about the viability of full time football, but our performances in Europe will certainly not improve with part time teams.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    The fact that the teams playing in Europe generally tend to be full time also has a huge impact on this Frank. I take your point about the viability of full time football, but our performances in Europe will certainly not improve with part time teams.
    You just have to look at the teams up North. They've had European ties where some of their players have been away on holidays or they've been unfit because they're out of season. I do feel that has an effect on performances.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Derry's crowds have been well up since summer football.

We're also fulltime but don't have any sugar daddies.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I can't believe that people still think that summer soccer has been a good idea. It was a poor decision made for the wrong reasons. We had clubs with cabbage patch pitches arguing that the game would benefit from better playing surfaces. If they had bothered their arses looking after their playing surfaces in the first place then this matter shouldn't have been an issue. I'd also say that I've seen some of the most dangerous playing surfaces since soccer started.

In my opinion attendances are down for very obvious reasons. The theory behind summer soccer was simplistic and flawed. Sun = Increased Crowds.

Now excuse me but I'm away to the USA for 2 weeks and miss 3 league games. Before summer soccer I went 5 season without missing a home league match (and don't recall too many been called off)

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    You just have to look at the teams up North. They've had European ties where some of their players have been away on holidays or they've been unfit because they're out of season. I do feel that has an effect on performances.
    I don't recall players being on holiday really being an issue when we had a winter season - I think League Of Ireland clubs have always taken Europe more seriously than the Irish League clubs. Part time or not, I don't think a LoI club would contenance players being on holiday for a European game (and actually I don't think an LoI player would want to miss it either). It's the full time clubs that have become more competitive in Europe, so it's debatable how much can be put down entirely to summer football. And again, there's questionable benefits to the other 18 teams in the league of the four teams doing well in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe

And you've been much more competitive as compared to the winter seasons leading up to it. It has to be done league wide to really compare, as a lot of clubs would've had ups and downs which would also kick in.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

garyderry
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post

And its a hell of a lot better football, and the fitness makes a huge difference to the standard thanks to full-time training. As for it make no difference in Europe, the guy saying that has to be on drugs and out of it, for example no chance would the likes of Derry and Cork been taking on and beating the best a country like sweden had without a full-time professional setup AND a level playing field of playing summer football where the team is match fit. And has been said crowds are definitely up in Derry. I would say the only real chance we would have of increasing them is better facilities, not toying with winter football again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    anyone who thinks winter football should come back needs help - end of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    I can't believe that people still think that summer soccer has been a good idea. It was a poor decision made for the wrong reasons. We had clubs with cabbage patch pitches arguing that the game would benefit from better playing surfaces. If they had bothered their arses looking after their playing surfaces in the first place then this matter shouldn't have been an issue. I'd also say that I've seen some of the most dangerous playing surfaces since soccer started.
    I dont know how many times I travelled across to Dundalk only to have games abandoned or called off before kick off in the old winter league. Some clubs didnt have the resources to take care of pitches that were being destroyed, some clubs were too lazy, some clubs are still too lazy to have a proper pitch in a summer league
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    1 Our biggest problem is that Irish people are event junkies. How many Cork/Galway hurling supporters do you see turning out for their league games in March? Couple of thousand maybe, but thurles will be packed with them on sat night and whoever progresses will bring an even bigger crowd to Croker.
    Where are all the munster fans, when munster play edinburgh on a november friday night in Musgrave park, yet for a heineken cup game in thomond against wasps, tickets cant be got such is the demand!!

Therefore, the prospect of going to see an el team week in week out isnt going to bring out the event junkies referred to above!! Its probably the same people who went to the munster game in cardiff who will be looking for AI final tickets who will be looking for tickets for the big Ireland rugby and football games in croker.

2 If somehow, el clubs could manage to draw crowds on average 5k every week, it would be a great achievement, this should be the target for all clubs! Promotion obviously is key, half time attractions, local school kids for free...discounts and an overall improvement in facilities. This is not something thats gonna be achieved over night, we need a change in the general public's attitude to el football. Obviously starting with the kids is a great way to go about it.

3 I think el football needs to find a niche for itself, in general no gaa/rugby games are played on a fri night or sun night. These are the nights that should be targeted as el nights - most people are free and happy to do somehting relaxing/enjoyable on those nights and there isnt really any other football on (except spanish on a sun night). Setanta have tried this recently to a reasonable degree of success, recent games like Derry/Cork on a sun night are what are needed to get a the lazy punter who might switch it on when theres nothing else on a sun night and go hey this is pretty good!! A regular live half 7 slot on a sun night would be very good for the league.

4 I think a blend should be sought where the el teams are fully match fit/sharp playing european games (increased exposure etc) but at the same time we're not in direct competition with gaa in July/August and also we're not playing our show piece cup final in a freezing miserable first week in Dec!!! All easier said than done and Im not sure what the answer is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    why anyone would chose a ga game over a real football game is beyond me, thats just an excuse
    Because of the amouont of GAA on the tv on sunday and saturday afternoons they are now playing their club and underage games on fri/sat nights leaving sunday/sat mornings free for travelling to games, this does affect the crowds in Sligo and other places.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    anyone who thinks winter football should come back needs help - end of.
    Ya! end of Sligo Rovers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    There's people on here saying that full-time football is wrong, bad, a disaster etc.

There is nothing at all wrong with Full-time football itself. The concept and idea is solid. What is wrong, however, is running a full-time set-up on money you don't have - and there's where clubs need to start catching themselves on.

Michael keane at Pat's being on over €3k a week, Boco at Sligo apparently on€2k a week - these are ridiculous salaries for Irish clubs to be paying. It's the clubs themselves that are at fault here - not the concept of full-time football.

The appaearance of 'investors' at a number of clubs hasn't helped in this at all. It's just started an arms race of inflated salaries for medicore players.

Football encourages smart people to make dumb decisions. It's the people making those decisions who are responsible.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast