Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Derek O Brien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Pity for the lad if he wanted to stay.

Hopefully it doesn't affect his form for us if everything goes through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Wanted to stay and help the club avoid relegation. The club preferred the relegation option and told him where to stick his loyalty!
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    He has just passed his medical and signed for Pat's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuisaSaigon View Post
    Forced out against his wishes, he is on his way to Pat's.
    Yep. Didn't really want to go by all accounts. Sad.

Whatever little chance we had of staying up has probably just gone out the window.
    Last edited by Maroon 7; 04/07/2008 at 6:13 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dob

Thanks for the memories Derek. It is such a shame to be losing our best player for the last few years against his wishes. Most of us knew Derek and always acknowledged the fans whether home or away and would always stop and have a chat if you met him in the street. I personally wish Derek all the best. I wonder if the club had the "BRAINS" to put in a clause in the deal that didnt allow Derek to play against us again this season because he would run riot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    hopefully he will forget hes not wearing the maroon jersey anymore and go in the opposite direction !!!!! Best of luck Derek and your welcome back any day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    It's a sad day. It's come to this.
    I wish Derek all the best at Pats and as Terry said he's welcome back any day.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Maroon View Post
    It's a sad day. It's come to this.
    I wish Derek all the best at Pats and as Terry said he's welcome back any day.
    read in one of the tabloids today that derek o'brien spent one season with sligo rovers what season was that does anyone know??
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Sad day for United. Looks extremely bleek with all these players havin to go. At least the remaining members of the squad did us proud in Turners Cross tonight
    "Are those my feet" Fr Jack Hackett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    read in one of the tabloids today that derek o'brien spent one season with sligo rovers what season was that does anyone know??
    2003 iirc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tir Oilean View Post
    Sad day for United. Looks extremely bleek with all these players havin to go. At least the remaining members of the squad did us proud in Turners Cross tonight
    Did us proud?, they threw away a 2 goal lead.... if keeping defeats to respectable scores is our biggest cheer this season then i'm seriously depressed!!
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Forced out against his wishes, he is on his way to Pat's.
    The club may well have wanted him to go, and let him know this - but he wasnt forced - he could have simply stayed, despite what the club wanted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post
    Did us proud?, they threw away a 2 goal lead.... if keeping defeats to respectable scores is our biggest cheer this season then i'm seriously depressed!!

Thats a bit harsh. Cork are on a roll they have now won 6 on the trot and beat cobh 5-0 recently. According to the Eoin Hand there is a video showing Rouse getting to the ball and that it was no peno but when you are at the bottom these things always go against you.

gg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    Thats a bit harsh. Cork are on a roll they have now won 6 on the trot and beat cobh 5-0 recently. According to the Eoin Hand there is a video showing Rouse getting to the ball and that it was no peno but when you are at the bottom these things always go against you.

gg
    They were all over us anyway the 3rd goal was coming either way, not as if it was the last 5mins when it happened either!. You could tell when they got it back to 2-1 we'd crumble!

How's it harsh?, we were winning a game 2-0 and lost, a poster said ''they made us proud'' and i said you can't call that pride, they threw away a game that was there for the taking, countless times this season the majority of these players have shown they have no winning mentality and can't cut it at the top level, our only leader on the pitch has now left the club, did you ever see another player showing any heart on the pitch like DOB?, i've rarely heard any of them open there mouths tbh.

I think tonight proved this squad is'nt good enough to cut it at the top level, from this point i'd start re-building, call it admitting defeat but the main reason i'd say that is because not alone can we not improve the squad we're losing our better players.

I'd sit the players down and see who wants to stay IF we do go down, if they don't want to stay get rid of them(if there on good wages) start giving the A team players some experience,there going to the main core of the squad if we do go down so it's best to get them as ready as possible to step up to the plate, you can call them ''rookies'' but did anyone see any of the young lads have a bad game thus far when introduced?
    Sinnott,Connelly,Keane,McBrien,Molloy...all have looked decent when introduced and we're talking there debuts(or one/two games extra) here.

In virtually half a season we have picked up 7 points, it's that more too safety, do we keep the same players that picked up those points, pay them until the end of the season good wages, probably still go down and then take a few years to get back on our feet or do we clear most of the current squad out and blood next years players now while also reducing expenditure which could provide a quick return up(also introducing more Galway players could improve attendences a bit with family,friends etc..)......?

The only thing that would make me more inclined to keep the current squad is the League Cup, a Setanta Cup place next season should provide enough revenue to win the 1st Division, i suppose you'd have to look at the wages and projected revenue to determine that

Right now i'm going for the latter, let's take off our GUFC glasses and look at the picture as a neutral, what's to show we can make it out of this??. I think a quick return is now the main focus until something magical happens on the pitch, i'd rather we went down like Rovers or (to a lesser extent) Waterford this year then Longford or Shelbourne and have to re-build from scratch
    Last edited by gilberto_eire; 05/07/2008 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Latest story doing the rounds is that the club are trying to bully Derek into going to Pats because they need the money - €25,000. The same amount of money they would raise by getting an extra 1,250 fans to attend Terryland between now and the end of the season. I smell a sack the board campaign a'coming......
    Nothing to do with the Board really, yes they made a big mistake with that bluffer Cousins. But then on the budget who else was available that could they have got in. They've done a lot more right than wrong. Perhaps going full time Pro was a step too far too soon financially though. BUt look at the fecking Gates if you want to kow what's really wrong, they sacked Cousins and the supporters should be getting behind the club now especially as there's a real lack of confidence at the minute.

The problem with GUFC & Connacht Rugby is the fickleness of sports fans in the city and county, they're fecking dreadful. If by some miracle Utd get to the League Cup Final there'll be 3-4K travelling there no bother. Same as Connacht when they got to the Euro Challenge Cup Semi's against Quins and Sale, both 6-7K through the gate, for the league they were getting about 1500 in the ground on average. Connacht Football Final will be full as well, and they couldn't get 12,000 through the gate for the Leitrim game.

I don't know what it is about my native city, but it's fecking embarassing. As embarassing as all the plebs who fly out every weekend to follow their English League sides. Bloody shame on them....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    They were all over us anyway the 3rd goal was coming either way, not as if it was the last 5mins when it happened either!. You could tell when they got it back to 2-1 we'd crumble!

How's it harsh?, we were winning a game 2-0 and lost, a poster said ''they made us proud'' and i said you can't call that pride, they threw away a game that was there for the taking, countless times this season the majority of these players have shown they have no winning mentality and can't cut it at the top level, our only leader on the pitch has now left the club, did you ever see another player showing any heart on the pitch like DOB?, i've rarely heard any of them open there mouths tbh.

I think tonight proved this squad is'nt good enough to cut it at the top level, from this point i'd start re-building, call it admitting defeat but the main reason i'd say that is because not alone can we not improve the squad we're losing our better players.

I'd sit the players down and see who wants to stay IF we do go down, if they don't want to stay get rid of them(if there on good wages) start giving the A team players some experience,there going to the main core of the squad if we do go down so it's best to get them as ready as possible to step up to the plate, you can call them ''rookies'' but did anyone see any of the young lads have a bad game thus far when introduced?
    Sinnott,Connelly,Keane,McBrien,Molloy...all have looked decent when introduced and we're talking there debuts(or one/two games extra) here.

In virtually half a season we have picked up 7 points, it's that more too safety, do we keep the same players that picked up those points, pay them until the end of the season good wages, probably still go down and then take a few years to get back on our feet or do we clear most of the current squad out and blood next years players now while also reducing expenditure which could provide a quick return up(also introducing more Galway players could improve attendences a bit with family,friends etc..)......?

The only thing that would make me more inclined to keep the current squad is the League Cup, a Setanta Cup place next season should provide enough revenue to win the 1st Division, i suppose you'd have to look at the wages and projected revenue to determine that

Right now i'm going for the latter, let's take off our GUFC glasses and look at the picture as a neutral, what's to show we can make it out of this??. I think a quick return is now the main focus until something magical happens on the pitch, i'd rather we went down like Rovers or (to a lesser extent) Waterford this year then Longford or Shelbourne and have to re-build from scratch

That is the greatest load of horse manure ive ever read. You werent at the game so how do you know how the team played. For them to turn up and play after whats happened in the last few days was a minor miracle. There is lot of people hiding who should be ashamed of their part in the clubs behaviour over the last 4/5 weeks and should shoulder the blame for where we are now.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    That is the greatest load of horse manure ive ever read. You werent at the game so how do you know how the team played. For them to turn up and play after whats happened in the last few days was a minor miracle. There is lot of people hiding who should be ashamed of their part in the clubs behaviour over the last 4/5 weeks and should shoulder the blame for where we are now.
    What are you on about ''for what has happened in the past few days'' players are leaving, it's not as if there playing after the death of a fellow player(thank god)

If you think we're getting out of this now with the better players of this bad squad going you have some faith because if i had to put money on a bet right now it would be we're gone, 1 win in half a season is'nt going to be anything else, i think we should be making steps to ensure IF we do go down we are in a position financially go come straight back up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    i think we should be making steps to ensure IF we do go down we are in a position financially go come straight back up!

The club already have announced that they will be semi pro next year and that the budget will be 500000 less than this year so they are already preparing financially for next year but why just throw in the towel this year there is still a lot to play for?.

gg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    The club already have announced that they will be semi pro next year and that the budget will be 500000 less than this year so they are already preparing financially for next year but why just throw in the towel this year there is still a lot to play for?.

gg
    IMO, they are FINALLY being realistic with such an announcement. First we were aiming for top 4 this yesr, then top 6, then survival, have to question some of the people running our beloved club.
    We have to get behind the team for Friday night, maybe promote the game as a jersey day and get people to bring a friend. Do we still have a Club PROMOTIONS Officer? Well why isn't he/she out promoting, I have heard little from him/her this year
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDoc View Post
    The club may well have wanted him to go, and let him know this - but he wasnt forced - he could have simply stayed, despite what the club wanted
    Yeah he could have stayed, but with the club saying they wouldn't pay him. He didin't have much choice. In the end he did what was right for his young family.
    The club have messed up and accepted relegation without a fight. As CEO, Leeson has to accept responsibility. He went against the wishes of supporters on a long list of issues and cut out the heart of the club.
    The club have stumbled from one PR disaster to another, many of these disasters would have been avoided but for the arrogance of the club. It's time they started listening to supporters again.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast