Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Irish Players Abroad Released by Their Clubs

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Irish Players Abroad Released by Their Clubs

Is anyone on here concerned at the amount of Irish players that have been put on transfer lists by their clubs this week.

Today three more were listed by Wolves namely Gary Breen, Stephen Elliot and Darren Potter and during the week Ian Harte at Sunderland.

Potter and Elliot are in the 40man squad and to be honest to be released by Wolves who aren't exactly setting the world alight dosent bode well for them.

The season has just finished and already it seems that a lot of our players are being let go by their clubs and i'm sure there'll be plenty more before the season starts.

Where realistically will these two players go especially that they are still relatively young - Scotalnd? League 1?

Should we be concerned given also that Blatter wants to cap the amount of foreign players by 2011.
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post

Where realistically will these two players go especially that they are still relatively young - Scotalnd? League 1?

Should we be concerned given also that Blatter wants to cap the amount of foreign players by 2011.
    I heard a rumour that Elliot might be joining David Connolly as new Sheffield Wednesday players next season, and Potter will easily get another Championship or SPL contract. Breen too will probably be picked up by a lower Championship side on a one year deal, either way he's finished at international level.

If Blatter's cap comes in it might send a few players of Potter and Elliot's stature back to the LoI as well and subsequently might raise the standard quite a bit, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. There would probably be a dispensation given to Irish players playing in Britain anyway
    Last edited by jebus; 09/05/2008 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    There would probably be a dsispensation given to Irish players playing in Britain anyway
    Admittedly I haven’t read up on much of it yet so I could be way off the mark
    here but, would Blatters idea not restrict EU regulations for freedom to work in
    another Member State?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    what happened potter? thought he was meant to be doing well for them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Reckon Potter and Elliott will get clubs in the Championship. They haven't been released, they are up for sale as are half of last years Wolves team. Others like Gibson and Stack have returned to their original clubs having been on loan.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Admittedly I haven’t read up on much of it yet so I could be way off the mark here but, would Blatters idea not restrict EU regulations for freedom to work in another Member State?
    It would, yeah. The EU Parliment voted against it by a large margin yesterday (500 and something to 40 something). They seem more positive towards UEFA's 'home grown player' idea apparently but I'm not sure how that's proposed to work.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Potter and Elliot are wasters, the problem is that they're being included in the squad rather than them being transfer listed.

Although I wouldn't be concerned, a 40 man squad is huge. There'd need to be about 8 or 9 injuries for either of them to even make the bench. It's not a realistic scenario that they'll play any part in our next campaign.
    a bit extreme surely ciaran - what makes u say they are wasters?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Both players have sadly fallen by the wayside in the last season. Hasn't particularly helped that the fans have gotten on their backs, possibly as a result of the frustration of Mick's over-reliance on ex-Irish/Sunderland players at the expense of Freddie Eastwood, of whom Potter, Elliott and Ward, in particular, bore the brunt.

In all honesty though neither cut it and I dare say are unlikely to at International level. Potter, whereas having a lovely touch, good passing range and finding space well, simply doesn'y have the cocky agression that is required, especially when playing in a deeper role. Should have demanded the ball a lot more, but sadly went hiding in games. Another Championship team with a clean slate may serve him well - however he appears to be a confidence player.

Elliott on the other hand has had his usual injury problems. Scored more goals than Eastwood in roughly the same amount of games. However wasn't helped by the fact that he was played on the right wing for the 2nd half of the season when he came on. Saying that, he did have a good game against Coventry recently. Although all in all is simply not big enough, which is obviously a crucial factor in the Premier League.

Thought I'd give you a more informed assessment than Ciaran's usual rubbish. Potter in particular could still be a useful player just needs to get out of his shell after over critical "fans" coming out with comments such as they are wasters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    There is no thread too dismal that Ciaran couldn't try to make worse.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I really like Elliott. He was pretty good for us whenever he played and I'm holding out hope that he'll put his injury problems behind him and find his form. It's unlikely but if he could just manage to stay fit I think he'd be a very useful backup player for us.
    Last edited by jmurphyc; 09/05/2008 at 6:33 PM.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I thought Potter looked a fine player but obviously the arrival of Darron Gibson has pushed him out. I'm not surprised Breen and Elliot were realeased, they'll probably join the likes of Norwich City or Sheffield Wednesday next year.
    Potter could easily join a promotion pushing club next year. He'll probably join Ipswich or Cardiff.

Who's to say all 3 players + Ian Harte won't join the revelution at QPR!
    Last edited by rambler14; 09/05/2008 at 11:34 PM.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    I thought Potter looked a fine player but obviously the arrival of Darron Gibson has pushed him out. I'm not surprised Breen and Elliot were realeased, they'll probably join the likes of Norwich City or Sheffield Wednesday next year. Potter could easily join a promotion pushing club next year. He'll probably join Ipswich or Cardiff.
    "The likes of" Wednesday are a far bigger club than Ipswich or Cardiff. Wednesday are up for sale and there's talk of big investors coming in. With a bit of luck they'll be back where they belong in a season or two.

Not bothered about Connoll or Elliot. It's hard for midgets to make it in football unless they're something special. Neither is and will never make it at this stage.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    I thought Potter looked a fine player but obviously the arrival of Darron Gibson has pushed him out. I'm not surprised Breen and Elliot were realeased, they'll probably join the likes of Norwich City or Sheffield Wednesday next year.
    Potter could easily join a promotion pushing club next year. He'll probably join Ipswich or Cardiff.
    Yes because Ipswich and Cardiff (especially Cardiff) are bigger than Wednesday or Norwich

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Ipswich clear out

"Jim Magilton has confirmed he will listen to offers for five of his players" "including Billy Clarke".

Magilton added that no firm bids had yet been received for any of his players, including midfielder Owen Garvan who is mulling over a new contract.