Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gardai

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=Billsthoughts;891105]

Massive generalisation there even leaving aside the fact you are talking about people before they have even become gardai. Can you explain how what music they listen to might influence how good or bad they are at their job?

It was largely a joke. However I was just trying to get across the mindset of the guy that I interacted with who went on to be come guards. I was not saying all Guards are like this, just the ones that I interacted with and who I knew thats all.

I think music can indicate many things and in the case of the guys I went to school with and who I have since seen, it would indicte a particular type of conservatism.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    As for the Gardai, under resourced they may be, but that doesn't explain the bully boys and lazy attitudes of the officiers I have encountered. I can't even recall one single episode where I have heard of any of them going above and beyond the call of duty, whereas I have and have heard many stories to the contrary, my own latest being Sunday night in Limerick when myself and two friends came across a woman, drunk off her mind, passed out in a doorway just a bit up from the White House bar. One of the lads walked five minutes to the Henry St Garda station to ask for a gaurd to come up and bring your one down to sleep it off in the dry cell, he was told someone would be up in a minute, 30-40 minutes later we had the woman stood up and able to speak, had managed to get out of her that she had a friend in town, had used her phone to call said friend, and had her on her way to Brown Thomas to meet her friend. As for the gaurd on his/her way......

Surely the Garda had more important things happening in town that night. I mean if they went out helping every person that is stupid enough to get that drunk then the real "scumbags" would rule the city. Dont get me wrong though I can see where you are coming from, if the guard said there would be someone there in a minute and 30-40 minutes no one arrives, thats bad practice. I honestly couldnt see it happening in any other country. They need more resources and guards to deal with small things like this, to call all Guards lazy is just a bit over the top. Theres lazy and hardworking people in all walks of life.
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    If this lady, and my sister in law's example from the other thread quoted below, had been attacked, raped or murdered, what would people's reaction be if the gards had been informed and hadn't bothered their hole? There would be outrage.

btw, no point in making a complaint against a cop, unless you like being pulled everytime you're out in the car, with multiple produce cert orders, and get loads of dubious charges taken against you. They're pretty bloody quick to close ranks once a complaint is made. Look at Abbeylara, Donegal, Reclaim the Streets, the young lad in Tipp, the lad in store street etc etc, to see how quickly they can forget, and there is no appetite by the judicary and politicians to clean it up either.

I will say I know a couple of lads who were going for the cops that I think will be decent if they get in. Like many professions, I think the years they've spent working and studying in the real world will make a difference. Templemore takes people in too young before they have any life experience, and they get indoctrinated with the type of bull that we've read above, and have probably all experienced. They don't have any examples of being the other side of the blue line.
    Very good, it was the first thing I thought of too.

If I'm in another country if I've any type of query or problem, if I see a cop I'll ask them, I wouldn't dream of doing it here. I was walking our young lad through Temple Bar a few Saturdays ago. A Garda was approaching and the child started crying. I made a quip to the Guard about the child not liking him and I got a 2 minute rant.

Similarily I had a problem with a farmer behind my house. My dogs had escaped into his field he caught them tied them up in his shed ( a mile away) and informed me he was shooting them after he reported it to the Guards. I explained that while he would be entitled to do this when he caught them he couldn't do so now.
    I went to my part time Garda station explained situation and they wouldn't deal with it. It was only when I explained the law and that I'd be involving my solicitor if anything happened that they actively did something.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L37Ultra View Post
    Surely the Garda had more important things happening in town that night. I mean if they went out helping every person that is stupid enough to get that drunk then the real "scumbags" would rule the city.
    Come on Ultra, you and I know the on the ground Garda presence in Limerick is non-existent, even moreso than in other Irish cities (where it's very poor too). To say that there wasn't one Garda available in the station to walk the 10 mins it needed in total to take the woman back down to a cell is too easy an excuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Come on Ultra, you and I know the on the ground Garda presence in Limerick is non-existent, even moreso than in other Irish cities (where it's very poor too). To say that there wasn't one Garda available in the station to walk the 10 mins it needed in total to take the woman back down to a cell is too easy an excuse.
    Maybe they would have had to fill out paperwork.(am serious)
    Would they have had to arrest the girl for being drunk and disorderly to put her in the cell?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes, I suppose especially when the place you found the women is only about a 5 minute walk from Henry Street Station. You would more likely find a Garda car parked in the Statoil on the Dock Road with the car full with 3/4 Gardas, all siting there watching the "boy racers" waiting for them to do something . I honestly must say the Garda presence in Limerick has improved over the last few years but still they are never in the areas that Gardas are needed the most. I only ever see Gardas in the nicer parts of Limerick (Yes there is such a thing). By the way I have many stories about Gardas aswell which will shock people, and im not biased in anyway. Know loads of guards personally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    Maybe they would have had to fill out paperwork.(am serious)
    Would they have had to arrest the girl for being drunk and disorderly to put her in the cell?
    You don't have to arrest someone to put them in the 'drunk tank'. I know a few lads who have been put in there and they weren't arrested anyway, just thrown in for the night and let go in the morning and to be honest I'd be even more disgusted if I rang up and there excuse was 'we didn't want to do the paperwork'. As Macy said, anything could have happened to her, and as I said initially, this was the night that snow fell, even at 11pm you could tell it was going to get very bad that night and she could have died from sleeping in that cold

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    If they needed too, so be it. Not like there could've been much of defence.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    From speaking with a Garda about his time in Co Limerick he said he never ever thought the Killinascully persona of a Garda was true til he went there.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    Moderator: Removed original post that this was a reply to.
    Why?

If you remove the original post then nobody knows that the thread is about.
    Do you bin the first page of any post you receive for example?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Why?

If you remove the original post then nobody knows that the thread is about.
    Do you bin the first page of any post you receive for example?
    I'm not quite sure why it was my post in particular that was split off but i'd imagine it was because i was just quoting jebus who made a ridiculous post about hating all gardai. If that got binned, mine would be the next available post to split the thread into the ensuing discussion of the our peace protectors.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    I'm not quite sure why it was my post in particular that was split off but i'd imagine it was because i was just quoting jebus who made a ridiculous post about hating all gardai. If that got binned, mine would be the next available post to split the thread into the ensuing discussion of the our peace protectors.
    Either stop trying to misrepresent what I said Gavin or go back to English class, I said I had contempt for the Gardai, I never said I hated all Gardai, they aren't the same thing you know
    Last edited by jebus; 05/03/2008 at 3:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You don't have to arrest someone to put them in the 'drunk tank'. I know a few lads who have been put in there and they weren't arrested anyway, just thrown in for the night and let go in the morning and to be honest I'd be even more disgusted if I rang up and there excuse was 'we didn't want to do the paperwork'. As Macy said, anything could have happened to her, and as I said initially, this was the night that snow fell, even at 11pm you could tell it was going to get very bad that night and she could have died from sleeping in that cold

thats not true anyone that is put into a cell in any station is indeed under arrest, it may well be for their own safety and they will be released once sober probably without charge but they definitely would have been arrested.

the only other option there with that lady would have been for the Gardai to call for an ambulance and for the ambulance to take her to hospital

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inexile View Post
    thats not true anyone that is put into a cell in any station is indeed under arrest, it may well be for their own safety and they will be released once sober probably without charge but they definitely would have been arrested.

the only other option there with that lady would have been for the Gardai to call for an ambulance and for the ambulance to take her to hospital
    Jesus Christ, the Gardai ballsed up, accept it and move on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i accept that 100% if they didnt show up they were wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Jesus Christ, the Gardai ballsed up, accept it and move on

This is what they were really doing instead

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=z8wHsoGeuH8

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    a GAA playing Guard who loves Shania Twain and Bon Alternative music to them was U2 and the Beatles..
    scary how true this is in a case of a friend being a gaurd.. by any chance do you know ...... naaaa
    Quote Originally Posted by fbtn View Post
    No matter to us. We win all our games, we win the league regardless of what anyone else does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12