Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

European Club Association

The G-14 has disbanded
    "Announcement of the G-14 General Assembly"
    http://www.g14.com/main.php

to join with the newly established UEFA/FIFA backed "European Club Association"
    http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/k...id=646355.html
    the G-14 will promise to withdraw its claims in court while UEFA/FIFA will "...enter into a series of commitments, including finacial contributions for player participation in UEFA European Championships and FIFA World Cup, subject to the approval of their respective bodies."

The make-up of the Association will be based on the UEFA co-efficient allowing clubs from leagues near the top of the table more representative than those lower down. The League of Irl club and irish League club with the highest UEFA co-efficient will be represented in the Association. Not including lower division teams.
    http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/648367.pdf
    Further "...The distribution amount for UEFA EURO 2008™ of €43.5 million is divided by the total number of days which gives a “per player per day” amount of approximately €4,000. For UEFA EURO 2012™ this is expected to be approximately €5,000."

My concern is that other confederations (CAF in paticular) will be expected to pay European prices for their players playing in their own continential competitions.

For Europe, it brings the football family closer together once again and dispels the myth that somehow there are 14 (approx.) clubs that are head and shoulders above others. When a large number of clubs around Europe could provide investment and influence if a substantial threat of a breakaway superleague materialised.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpoJoyce View Post
    For Europe, it brings the football family closer together once again and dispels the myth that somehow there are 14 (approx.) clubs that are head and shoulders above others. When a large number of clubs around Europe could provide investment and influence if a substantial threat of a breakaway superleague materialised.
    Something akin to saying the American neo-cons will never again look to exert their political influence once George W. has stepped down. Honestly that statement make me mistrust G14 even more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Something akin to ......

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. I myself don't believe 'threats' from clubs breaking-away from an established organisation will ever be fully extinguised. But when a 'debate' or flurry of press releases occur, it is invariably about the present/current circumstances and not anything long-term or sometimes even mid-term.

This becomes more stark when it involves clubs or individuals with new money.
    The UEFA document linked above
    http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/648367.pdf
    lists a number of the old G14 whose membership can replaced by other teams with similiar resources and addresses.

Platinum One statement mentions they "...have been working since October on developing such a solution and will only bring forward something that has the potential to create an economically sustainable professional game in Ireland."
    http://www.platinumone.ie/news/22
    An all-Ireland league is a new discussion for them.
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I'm looking at the first line in the part I quoted. G14 disbanding doesn't make them any less superior to, say Tottenham, or Espanyol, and to say it dispels the myth that Man Utd or Real Madrid are on the same level with UEFA is an outright lie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    I'm looking at the first line in the part I quoted. G14 disbanding doesn't make them any less superior to, say Tottenham, or Espanyol, and to say it dispels the myth that Man Utd or Real Madrid are on the same level with UEFA is an outright lie
    It's clear who, if anyone, said what you have stated above.

Sympathetic interview with Sepp Blatter on UEFA.com includes an ECA question
    http://www.uefa.com/magazine/news/ki...id=656099.html
    "uefa.com: In your speech at the UEFA Congress, one theme came out very clearly: unity within the football family. What does that mean to you?

Mr Blatter: Unity is very important within a family and this had been disturbed by an organisation of elitist clubs. With the initiative taken by UEFA President Michel Platini to form the European Club Association and to free the ground for FIFA, this has changed. We had a historic meeting in Zurich on 15 January in which I was mandated to chair to try to find a common denominator with the big clubs and to stop their activities against the football bodies. We managed to come to an agreement, but we had to prepare the ground to come to this conclusion. I am very proud as with this solution we have restored lost unity. This unity will now allow us to fight the other ills that have a negative impact on the world of football, such as doping, racism, corruption, illegal betting, violence or the disrespect of existing rulings"

This may be considered a stock reply, but it's also shows what Blatter and FIFA consider their role is.
    "uefa.com: The specificity of sports within international treaties remains an open question. The International Olympic Committee has obtained, with the support of FIFA, some important results recently. Where do we stand today?

Mr Blatter: I like this question because there is no legislation in Europe that forces a football team to have eleven foreign players from all countries. A new article defining the specificity of sports and of its structures has been added to the European Treaty of Lisbon, and this is extremely important because it allows these structures to determine how to organise their activities and competitions. Therefore it is the sport determining its rules and not just any law which does not even include the whole of Europe. Everybody agrees that national teams maintain their big force, and that clubs without any domestic players lose their identity not only for themselves but also for their country. Such teams become a simple amalgam of players – like in American sports where everything is based on success, spectacle and show. The essence of football is to steadily improve, but if the structure of a league is such that the richest control everything, the others are just reduced to fighting against relegation. In this case there is something wrong. There is no motivation for young players because they have no chance of ever reaching the first team because clubs buy the best players abroad. If we try to level the leagues it will become less expensive for the clubs and the fans can rediscover their local identity."
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."