Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moscow

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Moscow

Heading to Moscow for 3 days in April, wondering if any recommendations for sights. Obliviously there’s the Kremlin, st basil's, red square etc, but anything not so well known

Cheers
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Heading to Moscow for 3 days in April, wondering if any recommendations for sights. Obliviously there’s the Kremlin, st basil's, red square etc, but anything not so well known
    Heading there in May. How'd the visa process go for ye?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Only getting it sorted this weekend, was trying to do it at the begining of the week and that whole directive number and confirmation thing threw me. Couldn't find anything about it on their website, it was this morning when I ran into a girl I know who was there last year and she told me its just the booking voucher no from the place you stay in. F*cking confusing

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    You should get an invitation reference number / letter from your hotel / tour trip company / visa agency. you then fill in the visa form with your itinary and the reference number.

In terms of sights, what sort of stuff are you interested in? And are you just heading to Moscow or will you be going to other cities too? (e.g. Suzdal / Vl. Novgorod / St. Petersburg ?), brendy if you are there in May I would recommend going to victory day celebrations (end of WWII celebrations) as you will see a lot of parades, fly bys etc.

You can spend a day easily in the Kremlin with all the museums, I would also recommend the museum of WWII, and maybe take in a football game too. It's nice to walk around the southern districts near the river, also you can go to Gorki Park (theme park) and there is a old historic statue park pretty much next to Gorki Park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Stantours are great for organising visas and for information. It's not as complicated or as confusing as you might imagine! I got mine from the embassy in Dublin in a single day (I left it late) although don't expect excessive friendliness. The cities/hotels etc. you intend to stay in that they may ask you for on the form are a formality so don't worry too much about them.

For general info wiki-travel usually has useful information.

You may need to register when you get there. A lot of people don't bother, but police can stop you any time and ask to see your documents and it's best to have everything present and correct.

Learn some simple phrases. Fewer people than you think will speak English and having a few phrases to hand will make things a lot easier for you. It was the biggest mistake I made not learning anything.

Aside from the above suggestions you can get a boat around the river and see all the sights that way- it's an excellent idea if the weather is good. Also, try the local beer (pivo)- Baltika is my favourite.

You'll have a really good time by the way!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    BTW, there are around 9 types of Baltika, from what I remember 0 is the non-alchol, 1, 2, 3 and 7 are pale, 4 and 5 are more yellow, 6 is like an ale (Newcastle Ale), and 9 is the extra strong one (like special brew)...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I like Baltika 7 the best. The one you can get here (5?) is crap.

As mentioned earlier, The Museum of the Great Patriotic War is excellent. The panorama of the Battle of Borodino is close to it (I didn't get time to go to it). GUM (The big shopping centre on Red Square is worth popping into for a giggle - don't even think about taking your wallet out of your pocket!)

There's a good view of the city from the Moscow State University, which is on the hill overlooking the Luzhniki Stadium

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Cheers for advice guys been using this site for the visa http://ivisa.kdmid.ru/ kinda confusing but think I got there in end, it asked for my medical insurance document, does this mean just the company and type or policy no too?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Got the visa sent off today, hopefully all goes well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    it asked for my medical insurance document, does this mean just the company and type or policy no too?
    Friend was talking to the Embassy in Dublin yesterday. They said you don't have to have insurance, it's just recommended. So I'd assume you can just put the company in and that should be grand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    Stantours are great for organising visas and for information. It's not as complicated or as confusing as you might imagine! I got mine from the embassy in Dublin in a single day (I left it late) although don't expect excessive friendliness. The cities/hotels etc. you intend to stay in that they may ask you for on the form are a formality so don't worry too much about them.

For general info wiki-travel usually has useful information.

You may need to register when you get there. A lot of people don't bother, but police can stop you any time and ask to see your documents and it's best to have everything present and correct.

Learn some simple phrases. Fewer people than you think will speak English and having a few phrases to hand will make things a lot easier for you. It was the biggest mistake I made not learning anything.

Aside from the above suggestions you can get a boat around the river and see all the sights that way- it's an excellent idea if the weather is good. Also, try the local beer (pivo)- Baltika is my favourite.

You'll have a really good time by the way!
    would defo second that, made the same mistake going to st petersburg last year, very few locals have english, even in restaurants etc.
    if you are going for 3 days over a weekend you dont need to register. i think its if you are there for 3 or more working days you have to register. we were there saturday - tuesday and didnt need to
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    would defo second that, made the same mistake going to st petersburg last year, very few locals have english, even in restaurants etc.
    if you are going for 3 days over a weekend you dont need to register. i think its if you are there for 3 or more working days you have to register. we were there saturday - tuesday and didnt need to
    I think you may well be right there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    If you're staying in a hotel, they'll automatically register your visa

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    No staying in an Apartment. Was well ****ed off when I found out former "Dead Can Dance" frontman Brendan Perry is playing in Moscow the night I leave

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    If you're there for a weekend check to see if there's any local football. One of the best stadia you'll ever experience is Lokomotiv out in Cherkizovski. Dirt cheap for tickets, good buzz and it's on the red metro line. Luzhniki is good to visit but is a bit of a shell, even when full. You have to check out Sokolniki Park (also on the red line), on a good day it's very impressive as well as interesting. A great walk to take is from Red Square along the river to Gorki Park, it takes an hour or so but is really worth it, of for nothing else than to see the Peter the Great statue, the outdoor sculpture museum next to Gorki Park (as already mentioned), and the main exhibition park.

If you can take in the metro tour (I can't find a link right now), I'd been living there almost a year before I did so and afterwards metro trips didn't seem like glorified and violent cattle trains.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Cheers for all the advice folks.

Visa came last friday so it looking good, although two of my travelling companions havn't got their visas yet(they were all sent at same time). The two of them were in Russia(St Petersburg) before about 3 or 4 years ago so maybe that why they are a bit longer. Heading off early on april 2nd so not long to wait now, looking forward to it

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Rest of the visa came in this mornings post. So its all go. Anyone have an Idea on how many rubles would be needed for 3 days & nights in moscow. I'm there for sightseeing and don't really plan on going out or doing a lot of shoping. So just for eating and general expenses.

Cheers

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Rest of the visa came in this mornings post. So its all go. Anyone have an Idea on how many rubles would be needed for 3 days & nights in moscow. I'm there for sightseeing and don't really plan on going out or doing a lot of shoping. So just for eating and general expenses.

Cheers
    Depends on what you plan to do. Moscow is mega expensive in most places, food, drink, taxis etc. Also museums and attractions can be a rip off if they catch you as a "foreigner", but unless you speak the lingo you're snookered. Buy a metro card, 20 journeys (more than one person can use the same card, just swipe it on the road scanner and go through) and it'll set you back €7 or thereabouts, 280rbs I think. But to eat well (mixing between good ethnic restaurants - Uzbek, Georgian, Russian and McD's) and grabbing the odd coffee on Novy Arbat you'll be shelling out €20-30 a day, souvenirs are expensive in the shops on old Arbat, but are cheaper on Red Square - for some reason. €100 for 3 great days is perfect.

Try to see Lenin, you'll queue for 2 hours or so, but it's well worth it and the tomb is opening less and less often.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    If you go really early in the morning on a weekday you shouldnt have to queue that long for Lenin - I was there on a Tuesday in October and the queue was about 15 mins. You can't take phones or anything electronic in with you (they dont want you to take photos) and you are not allowed to linger (you cant stop moving). They have lockers for phones etc.

I would advise you to stay somewhere outside the inner metro ring, e.g. Izmailov, then you wont be paying silly money for hotels and food, it's possible to eat on a normal budget if you avoid the city center.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Cheers again lads. Thinking of getting about 8000 rubles for general expensesw which is just over €200 by my calculations. Staying in an apartment in Tverskaya Street,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast