Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gavin Defends Setanta Decision

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    So far on this thread we've basically had one bohs fan moaning about it, and a few Derry fans.

Against that we've had one pats fans, a couple of Limerick lads and a fair few harps.

Lets not start thinking we're representing anything other than our own opinions
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Round and round the thread doth go.

Where it's going - well no-one really knows
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I believe it's a good idea.

It makes the Frst Division more rewarding. It spreads the money around as well so we won't end up like Italy where the big 3 control all the television money.

A lot of the First Div clubs could do with a bit of money. And surely the money generated from the Setanta cup and the 4 or so competitive games before the league starts would give them a better chance of staying up that year.

Can't see anything wrong with it, imo.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    I believe it's a good idea.

It makes the Frst Division more rewarding. It spreads the money around as well so we won't end up like Italy where the big 3 control all the television money.

A lot of the First Div clubs could do with a bit of money. And surely the money generated from the Setanta cup and the 4 or so competitive games before the league starts would give them a better chance of staying up that year.

Can't see anything wrong with it, imo.
    Good man, that is exactly the way I feel about it. Regardless of what division we are in.

The First Division is rightly referred to as the graveyard division. Every bit of help that can assist the 'smaller' clubs can only be seen as a positive thing.

Some of the 'bigger' clubs would be happier with a six team league and playing one another 8 times a year and to hell with the rest of them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Some of the 'bigger' clubs would be happier with a six team league and playing one another 8 times a year and to hell with the rest of them.[/quote]
    Your talking rubbish to win the Premier Division you have to beat all teams in the league. Look at last year the points Derry dropped during the season. Most of them were against teams in the bottom 6. So it is a competitive league. All we are saying is that the League Cup Winners should have had home advantage as reward for winning the cup. And let the 1st Division winners travel. I do hope we get Harps in the play off and also hope Setanta provide live coverage of the game would be a great advert for Irish football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexy View Post
    Your talking rubbish to win the Premier Division you have to beat all teams in the league. Look at last year the points Derry dropped during the season. Most of them were against teams in the bottom 6. So it is a competitive league. All we are saying is that the League Cup Winners should have had home advantage as reward for winning the cup. And let the 1st Division winners travel. I do hope we get Harps in the play off and also hope Setanta provide live coverage of the game would be a great advert for Irish football.
    Who said Derry were in that six? Not going by the league table this year anyway so put your handbag away.
    Last edited by fbtn; 02/11/2007 at 5:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    I think FAI are trying to give the teams in North a chance to do well if there was a first division in the competition, they are hoping that Derry Lose and the winner of D1 goes through to give the Northern Teams a chance.

Also, what if Derry and Bohs were already in the Setanta Cup via different ways, would the first division team go in automatically ?
    Go one better to give the northern sides a chance. Change the scheduling of the competition and that way when the final of the setanta comes around Linfield won't have played fifty odd matches and that will really even it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waide View Post
    Go one better to give the northern sides a chance. Change the scheduling of the competition and that way when the final of the setanta comes around Linfield won't have played fifty odd matches and that will really even it up.
    Aye - huge advantage to the EL sides alright. Having to play competitive games after a 3 month break, against sides in full-stride half-way through their season....

Sure why not make it fairer still and only play all games in Belfast with the teams and ref only allowed speak Ulster-Scots.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    But why all the complaints NOW? Why wasn't this flagged before any club signed up to the new league and changed then? Why wasn't Rico or Connor complaining about this a year ago when they knew it was coming? It's a bit like Dundalk last year - they complained after the event, even though they had signed up to something. Or is it a case that club's just signed up to the new FAI run league without bothering to check what they signed up for?

Clubs knew long before the start of the season what they were signing up for and that winning the League Cup didn't give automatic qualification into the Setanta Cup. I still don't know what Rico and Connor are complaining about. They haven't won the League Cup anyhow, so it doesn't involve them. Even if there was no play-off with the First Division champions, Derry would still have qualified for the Setanta Cup by winning the league cup and Bohs and Cork in 3rd and 4th place would still have had to be content with missing out.

I'd love to see Longford win the FAI Cup now, just to sicken Rico futher.
    ya id love it too, rico is a bad loser. we played city in the league cup 2 years ago or last year. b4 game rico was saying that wanted to win it as it gives access to setanta. they put on a full side(one of the few times that season due to ocallaghan leaving) and we played them off the park and the scoreline flattered them, it was 1 nil with 2nd goal disallowed. rico comes out and says theres no future in the league cup and that they dont care about it. *******.. a sign of a good team with a bit oif class will not resort to cribbing after the game and will give dues to opponents.
    rico also has commented on UCD, saying their not good enough but the faact is that city have a shocking record against them, also ucd can actually play nice football, unlike city these days.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stato View Post
    It should at least be given a year or two to see how it works. For a start the Division 1 winners still have to beat the League Cup winners so, arguably, if they manage to do that they are a better side than the League Cup winners and deserve their place.

If, however, we end up with a situation where the Div 1 champions lose all 6 games by a cricket score it'll need to be reviewed. In saying that, Pats managed to put 13 goals past Portadown and Dungannon in four games and Cork managed something similar.
    In a one-off, it's not always the best team wins.

However, Gavin has stood by the initiative and points out that the playoff could boost the coffers of those clubs involved

It could also be a very costly playoff, if Derry City have to travel all the way to Cobh, or vice-versa.

If they wanted it to boost the coffers of the clubs involved they could have made it a two legged playoff.

If it is Derry and Harps the grounds would be packed.

I strikes me it was a back door attempt to get Shels back into the big time, thinking they would have won the 1st div this year.

By the way there is no way the IL would let a 1st div club represent them in anything.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    How is that related to the LC winners playing off against the First Division winners? In your scenario we'd still have 2 first division teams regardless of the playoff.
    If the League Cup Winners are a First Division team and then beat the First Division Champions... then in my scenario( where the Cup winners are relegated) you would have two First Division teams in the Setanta. By implication if the First Division Champions win the play -off they are a Premier Division side by the time the Setanta Cup commences . For the purposes of the example I wanted to make sure that the two teams I select were actually still First Division sides , when playing in the following season Setanta Cup.

As regards the recent comments about UCD. Thanks about the nice football , but we haven't scored in five games so that becomes very difficult to watch.
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 04/11/2007 at 7:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    To be fair i dont see anything wrong with the way they've decided to do it! As some people have already said, it makes the first division even more interesting and that can only be a good thing for everyone
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    i think the playoff is a good idea. Any game that will be high profile and bring out the crowds has to be good for the clubs involved and for the league.

We know only really big games (ie crucial league games or knockout games)bring out the crowds to LOI so no harm in adding another one to the calendar.

Anyway it was brought in to make it easier for First Division teams to swallow the system that got Galway "promoted" last season.

We all know Rico loves the sound of his own voice and any comments of his should be taken with a large grain of salt. The playoff makes no difference to City anyway as if there was no playoff Derry would have qualifed anyway as LC winners.
    Last edited by paudie; 04/11/2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added even more insightful comments
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derry View Post
    I strikes me it was a back door attempt to get Shels back into the big time, thinking they would have won the 1st div this year.
    Paranoid conspiracy theory, not at all grounded in reality.

Shels were not the favourites for promotion (Dundalk were), so unless the FAI was taking a huge leap of faith then it would have been clearly a pointless effort on their part anyway. Also - why would the FAI give a fcuk about Shels anyways ? I wish people would just grow out of the obsessive Shels conspiracys - Ollie's dead now people. Tiem to move on...

Quote Originally Posted by Derry View Post
    By the way there is no way the IL would let a 1st div club represent them in anything.
    And with bloody good reason too........!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    As some people have already said, it makes the first division even more interesting and that can only be a good thing for everyone
    How does it make the first division more interesting If the only automatic promotion spot isn't enough to motivate first division clubs then they don't deserve any extra rewards
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint View Post
    How does it make the first division more interesting If the only automatic promotion spot isn't enough to motivate first division clubs then they don't deserve any extra rewards

Get your point - but its an extra incentive - alot of financial rewards for the setanta cup - win it some time ,and ye might realise
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456