Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: John Delaney

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    I've already posted a link in this thread backing up one such instance. For more, do a search for threads on the report forums. As noted, I'm not going to get into past debates with posters who are as opinionated as you are while also having done as little research as you evidently have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The problem with calling for 'Delaney Out' is that, even if he were to get a knife in the back, he'd only be replaced by someone else as bad. Anyone capable of becoming head of the FAI is automatically unsuited to the position.

I think that Delaney is about as good as it gets. He seems to be interested in improving the game and has some competence. His problems and mistakes all seem to stem from the fact that he has spent his entire adult life involved in FAI politics and is entirely a product of that system. He sees anyone who disagrees with him as an enemy to be rooted out and to protect his own position he will only allow yes men into positions of authority.

His style brings some good with it, he has removed a lot of the petty infighting that was holding back the league and he seems to be removing the fighting between senior, junior and schoolboy clubs as well. The problem is that he doesn't see that people involved in the game can disagree with him without taking is as an attack on his authority. He's ended up alienating a lot of people by picking silly fights like fining Pat Skully and Kevin McDaid for holding reasonable opinions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student View Post
    he has removed a lot of the petty infighting that was holding back the league
    Is this the same way Stalin removed a lot of the petty infighting in USSR? Or Hitler removed a lot of the petty infighting in Germany?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Everything won't be better if he goes - some other gobsheen will come along for us to hate. But I still want him to go ASAP.
    To be honest mate, I'm not going to sift through pages of a report just to debate this on a message board. I might do it on my own time. But the above quote just proves what I thought all along.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Is this the same way Stalin removed a lot of the petty infighting in USSR? Or Hitler removed a lot of the petty infighting in Germany?

Seriously, cop on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Dammit! Forgot about that!!!!

[It's true here though. ]

barney - good man. Happy to come on here and challenge people's opinions with a remarkable opinionatedness, but unwilling to do any research into the facts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    The trains still ran on time. It's not like he's going to exterminate the Jews, is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    The trains still ran on time.
    couldnt have been Stan driving then!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student View Post
    The problem is that he doesn't see that people involved in the game can disagree with him without taking is as an attack on his authority. He's ended up alienating a lot of people by picking silly fights like fining Pat Skully and Kevin McDaid for holding reasonable opinions.
    I'm at it again......

http://foot.ie/blog/king-of-spin-could-be-caught-out/

Cash or cheque for the fine John?
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor View Post
    Cash or cheque for the fine John?
    Back down again, I'd say.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

barney - good man. Happy to come on here and challenge people's opinions with a remarkable opinionatedness, but unwilling to do any research into the facts.
    I'm not going to get into a point scoring contest with you. I just wondered why people wanted Delaney out. I've yet to hear a compelling reason why he should go - just a lot of rhetoric and small town attitudes.

If you honestly think that I'm going to read through pages and pages of stuff just to debate something on an internet message board then you are seriously deluded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Rhetoric?

Small town attitudes?

Do you intend those phrases to actually mean anything, or did you just throw them in because they sounded good? Do you awnt to highlight an example of either (or both, preferably)?

Earlier you said that, if he took 70% of tickets of a large block booker, that was definite grounds for something. You seem to have forgotten that already. That's only one point which has been raised.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    If you honestly think that I'm going to read through pages and pages of stuff just to debate something on an internet message board then you are seriously deluded.
    You are the person who started this thread, asking for reasons. You've been given some. You now say you couldn't be bothered debating this.

You fully admit you don't know much about the Genesis report, you fully admit you couldn't be bothered doing any research, yet you say
    I've yet to hear a compelling reason why he should go - just a lot of rhetoric and small town attitudes.
    you've been given reasons, and told where to find more details - the fact that you won't take the time to do that is your fault, and yours alone.

On the first page of this thread, you said this-
    6. The Genesis Report has not been fully implemented
    I don't know a lot about this to be honest and I'd be interested to hear more detail.
    This is clearly not the case.

On the second page you say this-
    I'll have a proper look at the facts of what you've posted.
    You haven't done this, and have said you couldn't be bothered doing so.
    Last edited by osarusan; 19/09/2007 at 2:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rhetoric?

Small town attitudes?

Do you intend those phrases to actually mean anything, or did you just throw them in because they sounded good? Do you awnt to highlight an example of either (or both, preferably)?

Earlier you said that, if he took 70% of tickets of a large block booker, that was definite grounds for something. You seem to have forgotten that already. That's only one point which has been raised.
    Small town, small time attitude:

Everything won't be better if he goes - some other gobsheen will come along for us to hate. But I still want him to go ASAP.
    Rhetoric:

the report wihch contained white lies, mistruths and non sequiturs.
    or

nearly destroying Waterford United as simply as you have done
    Seeriously deluded and offensive insult:

Some fair points osarusan. Can't argue with you there. Will read the report in my own time. Certainly not just so I can post on a message board though.
    Last edited by barney; 19/09/2007 at 9:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    So you think the lies and non sequiturs in the Genesis Report are just rhetoric? You say this without actually having read the report, or even addressed the link which actually proves one of the white lies?

You think me querying your off-hand dismissal of Delaney's involvement in Drogheda's demise is rhetoric? You're very quick to dismiss things you don't agree with.

You think the attitude that he should go, but that we'll still probably get someone in just as bad, is small time attitude? History shows it's likely to be the case.

If you're offended about my other comment, I don't know how you get on in the real world. In fact, it stemmed from when myself and Bald Student (to whom I was replying) were at a communism museum in Prague at the weekend, and it was noted how many similarities there were between what was seen and the FAI.

Can you start giving more than one line arguments rather than just dismissing things without any explanation?
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/09/2007 at 6:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If you're offended about my other comment, I don't know how you get on in the real world. In fact, it stemmed from when myself and Bald Student (to whom I was replying) were at a communism museum in Prague at the weekend, and it was noted how many similarities there were between what was seen and the FAI.
    I only got the reference now, thanks.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    That's not my point. My point was that he promised a world class manager and couldn't deliver one. His list of alternatives, in all likelihood, would not have fared much better than Stan. He couldn't deliver on his promise. Should that mean he gets the bullet?

In real terms, if John Delaney was not head of the FAI in 2005, would we have gotten a world class manager? The answer is plainly no. Therefore I don't think he should perish on the basis of appointing Stan. I do think he got a lot wrong with the appointment (the length of the contract being the most glaring) but you also have to remember that he didn't make the decision on his own. If he did then the Association needs restructuring.
    I'm almost certain this is true- Hiddink was approached for the job and said that he would take it, but only after the World Cup. Delaney didn't want to wait until then so appointed Stan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you also have to remember that he didn't make the decision on his own. If he did then the Association needs restructuring.
    Bingo!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast