Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The Liam Miller Situation??

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Liam Miller Situation??

Am I missing something here, perhaps some behind the scenes scandal, as to why Liam Miller isn't involved with the squad at all? I mean where is the logic in bringing Gibson, Douglas and even a fourth Keeper and not Miller?? I would've even thought that Garvan even would be worth calling up ahead of Gibson or Douglas.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Cant see how miller would be much more than a squad player for us and Id imagine Stan would argue Douglas is more of a replacement for Carsley than Miller. We already have a few players in the squad who offer as much if not more than miller does.

Although he did score in stans first game there hasnt been a sign of him since. Poor Liam and all the hopes we had for him.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Cant see how miller would be much more than a squad player for us and Id imagine Stan would argue Douglas is more of a replacement for Carsley than Miller. We already have a few players in the squad who offer as much if not more than miller does.

Although he did score in stans first game there hasnt been a sign of him since. Poor Liam and all the hopes we had for him.
    I'd wait until Carsley was dead on the pitch before bringing on Douglas and even at that I'd still think Carsley would do a better job. I think in terms of killing off a game Miller would be ideal, one of the few Irish players that actually wants to get the ball down and play possession.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mackannovic View Post
    one of the few Irish players that actually wants to get the ball down and play possession.
    and get pushed off the ball and squander possession with careless passes as he has done in the past. Reid is a better passer in my opinion and has a far better attitude.

Ireland has proven again to be Lampard-lite, totally ineffective in his key responsibilities unless protected by a brick wall behind him, but good at arriving late and scoring. Miller is similar. A few games in 2004(?) sums up Miller's career for me. Looked superb in a well anchored midfield against Lyon & Anderlecht, but away from home in Villareal he was just brushed aside when it was actually down to him to help secure midfield.

Miller is an alternative, but not the solution IMHO.

In reality we need Potter, O'Brien and Garvan to step up fast, or Steven Reid to make a miraculous return to fitness and the confidence he exuded 5 years ago at Millwall. If one of these big athletic guys can come in and help secure midfield, then a lightweight playmaker may just be a luxury we can afford.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Millers after getting crap, really crap.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    can remember reading an article where keane was having a rant about stan not picking miller because he was from Cork

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    and get pushed off the ball and squander possession with careless passes as he has done in the past. Reid is a better passer in my opinion and has a far better attitude.
    Fair enough point but as a squad player he must be in there instead of Douglas/Gibson. It's a disgrace that a youth player is in the squad at all.

Ireland has proven again to be Lampard-lite, totally ineffective in his key responsibilities unless protected by a brick wall behind him, but good at arriving late and scoring. Miller is similar. A few games in 2004(?) sums up Miller's career for me. Looked superb in a well anchored midfield against Lyon & Anderlecht, but away from home in Villareal he was just brushed aside when it was actually down to him to help secure midfield.
    Precisely Miller has played at the top level whereas Gibson hasn't even played first XI

In reality we need Potter, O'Brien and Garvan to step up fast, or Steven Reid to make a miraculous return to fitness and the confidence he exuded 5 years ago at Millwall. If one of these big athletic guys can come in and help secure midfield, then a lightweight playmaker may just be a luxury we can afford.
    Reid is our most notable absentee, ahead of Duff or Finnan. When fit he provides steel in the middle along with a good attacking threat. Just the type of player we need at this moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I think there are much bigger problems for ireland than Liam Miller. The guy cant break in fully to the Sunderland squad and has started few games this year. Id have Douglas ahead of him on current form and the fact that Douglas's perfromance at home to the Czechs was better than Miller has ever produced for Ireland

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    I think there are much bigger problems for ireland than Liam Miller. The guy cant break in fully to the Sunderland squad and has started few games this year. Id have Douglas ahead of him on current form and the fact that Douglas's perfromance at home to the Czechs was better than Miller has ever produced for Ireland
    Lets be honest about this. Douglas plays 3rd tier football in England. There are Eircom League players better than him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mackannovic View Post
    Lets be honest about this. Douglas plays 3rd tier football in England. There are Eircom League players better than him.
    Yes but he played well for Leeds in the Championship and was meant to be going to Burnely a few weeks back...dont know why it collapsed. id rather that than a guy playing reserve team football for Sunderland. When Miller starts breaking into the starting 11 at Sunderland on a regular basis then he should walk into the squad IMO. Now is not the time for him though