Results 3,881 to 3,900 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well they have an hour and five minutes to tie it up! I can't really see it happening, they'd have to shatter their transfer record and he'd be the highest earner by miles and that would be at odds with the prudent approach they've been taking in recent years. Probably just papers trying to generate a bit of traffic.
    ? The transfer window closes Monday at 11pm

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's tonight in Scotland. So 33 minutes.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I wonder if he has packed his bags yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Wigan have rejected a £10 million bid from Everton for James: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23923633

Wigan Athletic have rejected a bid in the region of £10m from Everton for midfielder James McCarthy, according to Latics chairman Dave Whelan.

The FA Cup holders have also turned down a bid of about £2.5m from Crystal Palace for winger Callum McManaman.

"I hope James stays with us, but I've said I won't stand in his way," said Whelan of the 22-year-old Republic of Ireland international.

Everton are managed by former Wigan boss Roberto Martinez.

"We are waiting to see what happens at Everton, which is a difficult position to be in," added Whelan.

McCarthy, who has played 16 times for the Republic, has been linked with a move to Goodison Park to fill a possible void left should Toffees midfielder Marouane Fellaini move to Manchester United.

But Whelan said he fears that, as Monday's transfer deadline draws closer, his manager Owen Coyle will have less chance to find a replacement.

"We rejected the bid because it's still not near the value we'd expect," added Whelan.

"If we have to sell James then we will have to bring someone in and that's not easy. I really hope he stays with us. Everyone seems to leave the business until the last minute."
    I understand that talks between Fellaini and United are at an advanced stage, so it's likely that Everton will up their bid before tonight's deadline, assuming the Fellaini deal goes through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts
    Trap thinks he is worth 14 million.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...lieves-2245840
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    McCarthy's potential move to Everton is not reliant on Fellaini signing for United, according to the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Sport
    BBC Sport understands that Toffees manager Roberto Martinez is hopeful of completing the signing of midfielder James McCarthy from Wigan Athletic, although the transfer is not reliant on 25-year-old Fellaini going to United.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    The fact they say it is not reliant on Fellaini kind of suggest it is, they will certainly have less money in the bank
    and more midfield players if Fellani is not sold.

It like a chain selling a house.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Trap thinks he is worth 14 million.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...lieves-2245840
    Trap might well think that, but he hasn't expressed an opinion on James' transfer fee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A post-transfer EvertonFC.com video interview with James prior to his re-uniting with the national team: http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archiv...-to-join-blues

James McCarthy has expressed his delight at joining Everton.

The Republic of Ireland international put pen to paper on a long-term arrangement just before the transfer window closed and the deal was formally confirmed by the Premier League overnight.

After a summer of widespread speculation Roberto Martinez secured the signature of the 22-year old, who is relishing the opportunity to link up with his former boss.

A delighted McCarthy told evertontv: "To be honest I am over the moon. The last few hours have been nerve-racking and I am delighted to be here.

"Once I knew Everton were interested there was no going back - I wanted to come here and try and establish myself.

"I worked under the manager for four years at Wigan, they were four brilliant years. I loved every minute of that. I know some of the boys who are here so it was a no-brainer to be honest."

McCarthy was a key player under Martinez at the DW Stadium and played a pivotal role in Wigan's dramatic FA Cup final triumph in May.

Having emerged at Hamilton Academicals as a 15-year-old in 2006, he has already played over 200 senior games despite his relatively young age.

He was named the Scottish PFA Young Player of the Year in 2009, shortly before being recruited for Wigan by Martinez, and amid reported interest from other top flight sides he has opted to take his career to the next stage by joining the Blues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    The fact they say it is not reliant on Fellaini kind of suggest it is, they will certainly have less money in the bank
    and more midfield players if Fellani is not sold.

It like a chain selling a house.
    I think you were right. Suggesting that the club's weeks-long chasing after and eventual signing of McCarthy weren't reliant on Fellaini's departure, along with Fellaini's "last-minute" handing in of a transfer request (probably in accordance with a demand made by the Everton board to his agent), seemed like club PR efforts to save face and conceal any willingness to let a player like Fellaini depart.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Hamilton receive a nice bonus.
    He went for the aforementioned £14m, according to the Mirror.

'Everton also swooped for James McCarthy in a £14million deal following a bitter wrangle with Wigan. Roberto Martinez finally agreed a fee with his former club just 90 minutes before the window shut – with the Republic of Ireland midfielder relieved at the end result. The Spaniard had haggled with successor Owen Coyle throughout the day and increased his £7m offer by almost 100 per cent. One of the major snags was that Wigan have to pay McCarthy’s former Scottish club Hamilton a stunning 20 per cent of the profit on the player.'

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Its funny, I listened to the Newstalk podcast from yesterday/day before and Daniel McConnell was on it saying he was at a Golfing event and was sat on the same table as Dave Whelan with some other journalists and Whelan was cool as you like, actually taking a call from Kenright whilst sat at the table and spending 5 or 10 minutes discussing the McCarthy deal. McConnell said the journalists barely knew where to look, Whelan was so relaxed about it. He got a good deal for Wigan in the end, I guess he knew how much Martinez wanted James and Wigan in no way needed to sell.

In summary, I doubt Coyle and Martinez spoke all day let alone haggled
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    And never mind the supposed "bitter wrangle".

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    So Gibson and McCarthy in the middle for Everton? Will be interesting to see how they do but I'll be paying a lot closer attention to Everton now.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Will Barry squeeze his way in there?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Barry on big wages. Can't be there just to sit on the bench. Martinez probably feels he can't rely on Gibson with his injury record. We'll see how it all pans out. Would love to see Gibson and McCarthy build a partnership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    James had a shocker against the Swedes. It was truly depressing to watch such a gifted footballer give as shambolic a display as that. It must go against every fibre in his body to try and play the way trap wants-he just looked completely lost. At least Scotland are doing worse than us at the moment eh
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Everton v Chelsea Live on Sky Sports 1 tomorrow at 17:30.

Serious competition for places in that Everton midfield now with Gibson seemingly back and Barry also signed. Barkley looks a very good prospect also but will probably be played further forward. If Mac doesn't buck up fast and start taking responsibility instead of the easy option his career could start going the other direction. I don't mean to sound dramatic but I think the 'young card' has expired and it's time to start demanding the ball instead of pointing out safer options to the man in possession.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Due to be interviewed on BBC Radio 5 in the next hour...

Will try to find a link
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live

may work...

Also
    http://www.thescore.ie/james-mccarth...83069-Sep2013/
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 14/09/2013 at 10:55 AM.